Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

migf1
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Paintshop Pro 2021

Post by migf1 »

@LIes54: Oh, don't give up hope just yet! Judging from what's been happening so far with all versions, Corel will most probably release at least 1 update patch at some point!

@Zantara: Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase, that's what matters at the end of the day :) Keep us updated!
Good Unofficial PaintShop Pro Tutorials: Creation CasselMake Shop ProHEC Image EditingLeviFiction PSP Basics
(plus my own Gimp & Stuff)
Zantara
operating_system: Windows 10
processor: i5-2100 3.10 Ghz
ram: 12Gb DDR4
Video Card: Intel UHD graphics 620
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 256SSD 1TB
Corel programs: From PSPX2 to PSP2021

Post by Zantara »

migf1 wrote:@LIes54: Oh, don't give up hope just yet! Judging from what's been happening so far with all versions, Corel will most probably release at least 1 update patch at some point!

@Zantara: Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase, that's what matters at the end of the day :) Keep us updated!
That's what I thought. If too many people have the same problems, Corel is bound to bring out a hotfix or update. After all, we, the so-called loyal brigade, are the guinea pigs
We try out and learn from their mistakes. I don't mind. It's how you learn.
The official release is not until later this month. Gives them time to iron out a few creases :D

I used to use PSP for creations using tubes, masks etc. I kind of left that behind and focus on and write about what PSP is meant for: photo editing
But I am a goodwilling amateur. I read about problems on this forum with design and it leaves me baffled. Way over my head. :oops:

For me the more I focus on photo editing and be creative with that, the more I l ike PSP

And I see a few new things in PSP 2021 and like it. I have no illusions about the AI, but hey...as long as I like the result?

It's personal. It's what you use PSP for. And for Lies the use of the good old plugins are important, as for anybody interested in working with tubes etc. Because there are still a lot of tutorials about that use them.

It's what made me decide to use as few as possible and focus on what PSP itself has to offer, with few exceptions.

We learn and we (dis)like :P
Zantara

Post by Zantara »

If you are interested in a quick peek at the new PSP 2021, I have written about it and show some screengrabs.
It's in Dutch, but there is Google translate, for what it's worth, but the screengrabs tell the story
You can find it HERE
Ravelli
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: GigaByte GA-970A-UD3P Rev. 2.x
processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G
sound_card: ESI Maya44 eX
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 11 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ G2222HDL
Corel programs: PSP since 1993

Post by Ravelli »

Regarding to the PDF Comparsion Chart there are no big changes compared to PSP 2019, so I can keep sticking with it. I wished they would focus more on improving the editor for better graphic design.
migf1

Post by migf1 »

Zantara wrote: ...
I used to use PSP for creations using tubes, masks etc. I kind of left that behind and focus on and write about what PSP is meant for: photo editing
But I am a goodwilling amateur. I read about problems on this forum with design and it leaves me baffled. Way over my head. :oops:

For me the more I focus on photo editing and be creative with that, the more I l ike PSP

And I see a few new things in PSP 2021 and like it. I have no illusions about the AI, but hey...as long as I like the result?

It's personal. It's what you use PSP for. And for Lies the use of the good old plugins are important, as for anybody interested in working with tubes etc. Because there are still a lot of tutorials about that use them.

It's what made me decide to use as few as possible and focus on what PSP itself has to offer, with few exceptions.

We learn and we (dis)like :P
PSP has always been one of the best options in its genre, including photo editing. It comes with a vast array of tools and a friendly user-interface. My main gripe is that it's gradually moved & keeps moving toward a more hobbyist user-base. All in all is a great program, but for advanced professional workflows it can become quite cumbersome.
Zantara wrote:If you are interested in a quick peek at the new PSP 2021, I have written about it and show some screengrabs.
It's in Dutch, but there is Google translate, for what it's worth, but the screengrabs tell the story
You can find it HERE
Great job, and great website Zantara! Thanks for sharing!
Good Unofficial PaintShop Pro Tutorials: Creation CasselMake Shop ProHEC Image EditingLeviFiction PSP Basics
Jean-Luc
motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

Post by Jean-Luc »

migf1 wrote: PSP has always been one of the best options in its genre, including photo editing. It comes with a vast array of tools and a friendly user-interface. My main gripe is that it's gradually moved & keeps moving toward a more hobbyist user-base. All in all is a great program, but for advanced professional workflows it can become quite cumbersome.
Corel is a commercial company. I think they will not invest in R&D for PSP. But they will use technology bought from third companies (in PSP see Help/Legal Info tab) or available when they are more mature, like AI. Moving toward a more hobbyist user base than advanced professionals is a commercial choice. They are many more "common" people taking photos (compact cameras, smartphones, tablets) than professional photographers. Photo editing with a user-friendly interface and "one-click" effects is the logical result. I cannot blame Corel for that. :-)
THE PAINTSHOP PRO COOKBOOK
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
babbs
ram: 12mb
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro 7,8,X2-X9, Essentials 5

Post by babbs »

Are the additional programs, Essential, AfterShot, etc., trial versions in this offering, or actual programs? Thanks.
VB_video
motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E
processor: Intel Core i9-9900K
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS 27" FHD @60 Hz, BenQ 24"
Corel programs: VStudio, MS3D, PSP, Mirage, AfterShot

Post by VB_video »

I was not interested in purchasing the 2021 version, even for the famous software bugs.
My son insisted, as he is fond of photo editing, I gave in and passed the copy to him. I stayed with 2020.

Installed on a PC with an AMD processor and 16 Gb of RAM (Windows 10), it immediately presented the following problem:
attempting to move from any work area to the Sea-to-Sky, PainShop 2021 closes, but remains active in the background. You have to go into the task manager, actually end it and restart it. This opens the Sea-to-Sky workspace directly.
Always have this problem.
migf1

Post by migf1 »

Jean-Luc wrote:Corel is a commercial company. I think they will not invest in R&D for PSP. But they will use technology bought from third companies (in PSP see Help/Legal Info tab) or available when they are more mature, like AI. Moving toward a more hobbyist user base than advanced professionals is a commercial choice. They are many more "common" people taking photos (compact cameras, smartphones, tablets) than professional photographers. Photo editing with a user-friendly interface and "one-click" effects is the logical result. I cannot blame Corel for that. :-)
Hi Jean-Luc!

I'm just saying that I would much prefer it if PSP had stayed loyal to its original "professionals & hobbyists" target group, instead of shifting to "hobbyist mostly". I do not blame them of course, their product their decisions, but I can't help noticing that it's kinda annoying to switch to another program every time I need to do heavy stuff.
Zantara

Post by Zantara »

babbs wrote:Are the additional programs, Essential, AfterShot, etc., trial versions in this offering, or actual programs? Thanks.
All extra programs that come with PSP 2020 Ultimate are free and fully functioning. PhotoMirage is a special edition, which means a very basic one with less function than the full version.
Aftershot 3 has been a part of Ultimate for years now. Still the same version.
Painter is a new version.
Essential is a workspace within PSP, which comes as part of it.
AI HDR Studio is a plugin that installs automatically in PSP 2021
Works in both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version
It is an old friend, previously known as Pic-to-Painting, but with some new effects.
The old effects are now part of the Photography workspace
Zantara

Post by Zantara »

VB_video wrote:I was not interested in purchasing the 2021 version, even for the famous software bugs.
My son insisted, as he is fond of photo editing, I gave in and passed the copy to him. I stayed with 2020.

Installed on a PC with an AMD processor and 16 Gb of RAM (Windows 10), it immediately presented the following problem:
attempting to move from any work area to the Sea-to-Sky, PainShop 2021 closes, but remains active in the background. You have to go into the task manager, actually end it and restart it. This opens the Sea-to-Sky workspace directly.
Always have this problem.
I encountered the same problem. Both JoeB and I have written about it in this topic.
Hope the bug is fixed soon
Jean-Luc

Post by Jean-Luc »

VB_video wrote: attempting to move from any work area to the Sea-to-Sky, PainShop 2021 closes
For your information...

4 ways to access the different workspaces starting from Complete:

1) File / Workspace / ...
2) click on Home button (top of screen) / Get started / ...
3) right-click on an empty area of the Complete workspace / Workspace / ...
4) View / Customize / Commands / All commands / drag the Photography, Sea 2 Sky and Essentials commands inside the top Menu (see attached). They will give direct access to the different workspaces.
2021 workspaces.jpg
Zantara

Post by Zantara »

@Jean-Luc...done that while setting up PSP 2021. Same difference, though. Still shuts down
Jean-Luc

Post by Jean-Luc »

Zantara wrote:@Jean-Luc...done that while setting up PSP 2021. Same difference, though. Still shuts down
Just curious: in both versions (32/64)?
Zantara

Post by Zantara »

Yup