Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ACER H213H
Corel programs: paintshop pro X9 ultimate, aftershop Pr

loading pics into Paintshop Pro x9 manage view

Post by hp2 »

Is it just my imagination....
OR
is it a fact?

When loading a bunch of pics from a large folder, it appears that visible files load faster. If I scroll down, the files visible in the work area seem to load much faster. They speed up as I scroll down. Is that the experience of anyone else?

If what I am describing is real, is there a reason. It seems if I leave the computer and come back, the file not visible in the work area load very slowly.

Secondarily, where can I go to set the size of thumbnails. Surely, smaller would speed up loading..........which, btw, is not bad in PSPx9.

Thanks
JoeB
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Re: loading pics into Paintshop Pro x9 manage view

Post by JoeB »

hp2 wrote:Is it just my imagination....
OR
is it a fact?

When loading a bunch of pics from a large folder, it appears that visible files load faster. If I scroll down, the files visible in the work area seem to load much faster. They speed up as I scroll down. Is that the experience of anyone else?

If what I am describing is real, is there a reason. It seems if I leave the computer and come back, the file not visible in the work area load very slowly.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. Are you referring to how fast the images appear in the Edit screen after you select a bunch of them in Manage mode and then click the Edit tab? Or are you referring to how fast the thumbnails appear in the Manage mode tab? In Manage mode the thumbnails load pretty fast for me, although if I scroll fast enough I can see that they are loading first from the top and then in sequence depending on the sort order sequence I have selected. But the delay is very brief in any event.
hp2 wrote:Secondarily, where can I go to set the size of thumbnails. Surely, smaller would speed up loading..........which, btw, is not bad in PSPx9.Thanks
There is a Zoom slider at the bottom of the Manage window that you slide to increase/decrease the size of the thumbs.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
MarkZ
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel DQ67SW desktop
processor: Intel Core i7 i7-2600 3.40 GHz
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG Flatron E2241
Corel programs: PSP 2018 X9 X8 X7 X6 ASP3 ASP

Re: loading pics into Paintshop Pro x9 manage view

Post by MarkZ »

In Manage mode, if you are selecting a folder while in Computer option, all the thumbs that you (will) see have to be recreated in the cache file. The larger the folder content, the longer it takes and yes, as you scroll down you see the thumbs being created.

The alternative is to set up folders that you use frequently in the Collections option. The thumbs in these folders will be created once and will persist when you close PSP. So the next time you come back to the folder all the files/thumbs are there and you can access them immediately. It makes no sense to me to put all images in Collections but I have all those that I use most often there.
Mark
hp2
operating_system: Windows 10
processor: AMD Athlon II x4 645 3.10
ram: 10GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ACER H213H
Corel programs: paintshop pro X9 ultimate, aftershop Pr

Re:JoeB and MarkZ

Post by hp2 »

Thank you for the insights. Very helpful. I am still getting use to PSP. It will take a while.

JoeB. By a setting for the size, I meant that I wondered if there was a location in settings where I could set as a default the size of the thumbnails to load. A smaller size would load faster for thumbnail view. Some software has such a setting, but not all. I do like the slider though. Thanks

MarkZ I may have been loading from a camera SD card. I guess I should load them to a folder and then bring them into manage. Of course, I was talking about hundreds of pics, not just a few. I guess I will figure it out. I have another software image viewer that loads really, really fast and transfers pics from my SD card to my external drive pretty fast. Thanks.