processor: AMD Athlon II x4 645 3.10
ram: 10GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ACER H213H
Corel programs: paintshop pro X9 ultimate, aftershop Pr

coming to PSP from PhotoshopElements, if you have same path

Post by hp2 »

I have been an Elements user for several years and have reached a certain level of creative ability with it. I am a photographer so my work is narrowed to that primarily. However, I do build composites.
Most of the work that I post on Flickr or Facebook is a composite of two or more pics to tell a story that is original.

I only shared the above in hopes that there are some of you who also came to PSP from Photoshop and you may understand my questions and how it affects my learning curve.
For instance, at first glance, it appears that layer masks are more complicated to apply in PSP, but it may be that seeming complication is also just flexibility and serves creative functions.

So, this post is a fishing expedition. If you came from PS elements and have some info to share or links that may expedite my transition. If you do certain things in PSE and others in PSP, I would like to hear your story.

At the moment I seem to get better results from basic adjustments from Elements, but that is probably because I am just a novice/beginner with PSP and I know exactly what I want to do and how in PSE.

I am committed to learning PSP and making sure I know how to apply its tools, so I am not here to make a quick assessment. I want to learn it and then I will decide what works for me.

Thanks.
Chuck
rondo
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte
processor: Intel I5 6600k 3.5 GHz
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Nvidia 1060
sound_card: creative x-fi
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus ProArt
Corel programs: PSP X6, X9, Aftershot Pro 3, Painter

Re: coming to PSP from PhotoshopElements, if you have same p

Post by rondo »

I find layer masks easier to do in PSP than Elements, as well as Selections and Adjustments. I didn't care for the organization of tools in Elements, and find it faster and easier for my workflow in PSP. in PSP there are many more tools and options in how to use them.

Take the time to view some tutorials on YouTube or the Corel Learning Center- I think it's just a matter of getting used to the differences in PSP.

http://learn.corel.com/photo-tutorials/
JoeB
operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Post by JoeB »

Further to what @rondo said, when it comes to organization of tools PSP beats most other programs (particularly Adobe ones) hands down. You can customize the toolbars AND dropdown menus (add, reorder and/or move buttons or menu options), create your own custom toolbars for specific types of projects, and save different workspaces with different customizations for different types of projects. You can create scripts (similar to PS actions but easier and more flexible), bind them to buttons and add those button scripts to toolbars and/or menus for one click access to run the script.

With time, research and practice I think you'll find that you can do virtually anything with PSP that you could do with Elements, and likely more, given that Elements is a stripped down version of PS. And PSP can do most of what most people need that PS can do, often easier, particularly once you have customized your workspace.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
hp2
operating_system: Windows 10
processor: AMD Athlon II x4 645 3.10
ram: 10GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ACER H213H
Corel programs: paintshop pro X9 ultimate, aftershop Pr

Post by hp2 »

Thanks rondo and JoeB for your hearty vote for PSP.

Do either of you have online galleries where I can see some of your work?

Thanks again.

Chuck
Jean-Luc
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

Post by Jean-Luc »

hp2 wrote:it appears that layer masks are more complicated to apply in PSP,
If you give us a specific example, I'm sure some users here will explain how to achieve the task in PSP.
THE PAINTSHOP PRO COOKBOOK
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.