Moderator: Kathy_9

MxWfog
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 16GB

Making Collages

Post by MxWfog »

Hello, I have been using PSP 10 for years because it was convenient for me to work with and the newer versions that I have tried have been less so. In the last few weeks my PSP 10 stopped working ( it will not start any more) so I purchased a new version X9.

I make allot of collages and one thing that I used allot was that I could drag an image from my browser directly onto the collage that I was working with. This capability does not seem to exist in PSP X9. I am able to drag an image from my tray onto the layers pallet but this involves several more steps than just dragging an image onto the collage. I am wondering if there is a better way to duplicate the functionality of PSP 10? Any help would be appreciated.
pdxrjt
operating_system: Windows 10
processor: Intel Core i7 - 4.2 GHz
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 10TB Int.
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer 32 inch x2
Corel programs: Paint Shop Pro 2018

Re: Making Collages

Post by pdxrjt »

Not sure this is helpful, but I also make collages. I generally have my collage image open, then open the photo I wish to add, do select all, copy, past as a new layer. That gives me a lot of flexibility to move and resize the layer (which you may have already had with your older version of PSP.) So that is a lot of steps but works for me.
Adverts for Corel products when you close PSP don't bother me.
LeviFiction
Advisor
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4
processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU - 2_40GH
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Post by LeviFiction »

Not sure why it takes several more steps to drag an image into the layers palette than it does directly onto the image itself. You can even drag multiple images at the same time, the only thing it doesn't do is support layered images. You can use both the Organizer and windows explorer. You don't have to use "my tray" you can use just the regular organizer window.

We have a script that uses the regular Open command, it then copies all of the new images as layers into the current image. Useful if all of your collage images are in one folder, less so if they're in different folders.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8FlF ... lRicU1TZUU
hartpaul
Advisor
motherboard: ASUSTeK P7P55D STRIX B240F GAMING
processor: IntelCore i7 7700 3.60 Ghz
ram: 8 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
sound_card: Nvidia High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC
Corel programs: PSP8,X2 to X9,2018,2019,2020

Post by hartpaul »

MxWfog wrote:Hello, I have been using PSP 10 for years because it was convenient for me to work with and the newer versions that I have tried have been less so. In the last few weeks my PSP 10 stopped working ( it will not start any more) so I purchased a new version X9.

I make allot of collages and one thing that I used allot was that I could drag an image from my browser directly onto the collage that I was working with. This capability does not seem to exist in PSP X9. I am able to drag an image from my tray onto the layers pallet but this involves several more steps than just dragging an image onto the collage. I am wondering if there is a better way to duplicate the functionality of PSP 10? Any help would be appreciated.
In PSP X you have the PSP browser open along the bottom. In PSP X9 you have the Organiser window running along the bottom.
In both cases you have to browse to which ever folder of images you want to use so no extra steps there.

In PSP X you left click drag a thumbnail from the browser onto your collage document and the image is copied and pasted there as a new layer.

In PSP X9 you left click and drag a thumbnail from the organizer onto the layers palette and it is copied and pasted into your collage document as a new layer .

In both these cases there are no extra steps BUT in PSP X9 you can choose to paste later thumbnails between any two layers so a bit of an improvement there.

And as Levifiction comments you can also select many thumbnail images and drag and drop to the layer palette and each is copied and pasted as a new layer. This is a great saving in steps over PSP X where you have to drag each image separately.

In both cases once pasted you can move and resize images using the Pick tool.
Systems available Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.2007 & version 1809 Build 17763.615
MxWfog

Post by MxWfog »

Thanks for all of the advise, sorry for my late response. This is why PSP X9 is less efficient for me then my old version of 10. My collages usually have 2, 3 or 4 columns. I snap to guides that I use to keep the vertical edges of the columns straight. I use a batch operation to add a top boarder to each picture for a separator and size each picture to the same width before I start making the collage. Although each picture is the same width, I want to keep the correct aspect ratio so the pictures are never the same height. I make the collages by I overlapping the pictures like shingles on the roof of a house. This allows me to adjust how much of one picture is showing by moving the next picture (that is overlapping it) up and down. When I get to the bottom of the collage, I want the bottom of all of the columns to be even so I slide the pictures in the same column above up or down until I have the fit that I need. I may make 20 or more collages at a time with each collage containing 10 to 25 individual pictures. With this many pictures involved, any unnecessary steps make things less efficient and more difficult.

With PSP 10 I could drag the picture onto the collage and it would appear where I dropped it. With PSP X9 I drag the picture or pictures onto the layers pallet and the pictures appear on the collage somewhere in the middle, usually where I can not see it without scrolling down. When I drag many pictures at the same time, they are all on top of each other and I have to move them around to find the one that I want to use next. If I drag more than 10 pictures I get a warning that I must respond to before I can continue. When I find the picture that I am looking for, it is never the top layer so I have to promote it to the top before I can overlap it on one of the columns in the picture. This all gets to be very frustrating by the 30th or 40th time that I do it.

Any advise on how to modify my procedure or work with PSP X9 more efficiently will be greatly appreciated by both me and my wrists which seem to be destined for carpal tunnel.
hartpaul
Advisor
motherboard: ASUSTeK P7P55D STRIX B240F GAMING
processor: IntelCore i7 7700 3.60 Ghz
ram: 8 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
sound_card: Nvidia High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC
Corel programs: PSP8,X2 to X9,2018,2019,2020

Post by hartpaul »

So your wish list for later PSP versions would be to maintain the central position for Copy > Paste as new layer, but when you drag and drop thumbnails to have them stay where the cursor drops them to allow preliminary planning of locations.

When you
" I want the bottom of all of the columns to be even so I slide the pictures in the same column above up or down until I have the fit that I need."
I presume you do this by moving individual pictures.

Perhaps you may have to change your method by pre-planning which images are to go in which column. eg in a 4 column x 5 image down the column display . That way when they are placed in the centre , the top image may need to be dragged to position 1-4, second image to 1-5, third image to 1-1 fourth image to 1-2 and 5 th image to 1-3. At least when you place 1-5 you probably know the lower limit and 1-1 the upper limit and so the other three need adjustment of overlap to fit in.

Wondering also if scripts can help in placing of guide lines as well as placing images eg 5 images added in same order to layer palette then script for column 1 to move image 1 in bottom position in column 1 image 2 to second bottom position etc . You would have a script for images in column 1, another script for images in column 2 etc. This would get most of the grunt work out of the way and then only require small minor adjustments.
Systems available Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.2007 & version 1809 Build 17763.615
MxWfog

Post by MxWfog »

Thanks hartpaul,

You are correct, I slide the individual pictures up and down to get to a point where I can get a straight edge at the bottom. I often drop a guide at the bottom of the collage and use it to trim off excess content that is not needed. It is easier to get a straight edge that way when everything else is pretty close to the way that I want it.

If I could have my wish for future versions of PSP, I would like to be able to drag pictures onto my collages and have them stay where I drop them until I am ready to drag them to their final positions. When I drop a picture onto a collage, I would like the move tool to be automatically activated to assist in more efficient positioning. I would be happy to buy the next version of PSP to get the changes that I have mentioned.

I am not sure if scripts would be beneficial because of the different sizes and arrangements of pictures that I use. I can send you some links to examples if that would help you envision what I am doing.

BTW:
I have been using PSP since the early 1990s, I have always liked better than the alternatives for the kind of work that I do.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Post by LeviFiction »

I have a script for setting up guides according to a margin and a thumbnail size. It wouldn't handle variable image heights of course. It could be changed to let you set guides only in columns or only in rows so you have equal widths but not guides indicating the heights of the images.

I also have scripts that will auto places guides on either the top, left, right, or bottom of a selected layer. So you could add an image into the appropriate column, then quickly add a guide that indicates the bottom of that image for snapping subsequent images to.
Cassel
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
ram: 8Gb
Corel programs: PSP 8 (JASC) to PSP X9

Post by Cassel »

I also have a script that can add guides regularly OR IRREGULARLY, and scripts to create a mosaic from photos in a folder.
http://creationcassel.com/store/index.p ... cts_id=190
http://creationcassel.com/store/index.p ... cts_id=121

(they are not free but if you are interested, wait a few days as it is my birthday Saturday... shhh)
Cassel
http://creationcassel.com/store
Specializing in PSP specific products: scripts and tubes

http://scrapbookcampus.com
for beginner and seasoned scrappers and designers
JoeB
operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Post by JoeB »

Cassel wrote:I also have a script that can add guides regularly OR IRREGULARLY, and scripts to create a mosaic from photos in a folder.
http://creationcassel.com/store/index.p ... cts_id=190
http://creationcassel.com/store/index.p ... cts_id=121

(they are not free but if you are interested, wait a few days as it is my birthday Saturday... shhh)
I'm not @MxWfog, but your secret is safe with me! :-)
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
LeviFiction
Advisor

Post by LeviFiction »

It's kind of interesting, I dragged a downloaded image from Google Chrome's download bar into PSP and it dropped the image directly onto the canvas where my mouse was. So the code to do what you want is still in there, just not sure what it takes to activate it. I don't get the same result dragging from Windows Explorer.
MxWfog

Post by MxWfog »

Thanks LeviFiction - I could really use that kind of functionality, please let me know if you make any new discoveries. It is probably the same code that would allow you to drag an image from the old picture browser.