Paintshop Pro X8 locking up!!!

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Paintshop Pro X8 locking up!!!

Postby The Iceman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:05 pm

Hello. I am using Paint Shop Pro X8. I have a boxed version that I bought.
I am running Windows 10 Pro, 64bit with 16GB of ram, Intel Gen6 i7 processor, 512GB SSD, running on my new Microsoft Surface Book.
When I start up PSP X8, no problem. But when I start working with it doing whatever, doesn't matter, it locks up!
I have tried running it in compatibility mode but no luck.

Does anyone know what might be causing this and a fix?
This is very frustrating!!!

Any info regarding this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
The Iceman

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Paintshop Pro X8 locking up!!!

Postby JoeB » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:15 pm

The Iceman wrote:Hello. I am using Paint Shop Pro X8. I have a boxed version that I bought.
I am running Windows 10 Pro, 64bit with 16GB of ram, Intel Gen6 i7 processor, 512GB SSD, running on my new Microsoft Surface Book.
When I start up PSP X8, no problem. But when I start working with it doing whatever, doesn't matter, it locks up!
I have tried running it in compatibility mode but no luck.

Do you have PSP X8 with the SP1 patch? If the version number shown on the splash screen (or in the Help>About menu item) is 18.1.0.67 then you have the patched version. And apparently some people are experiencing a variety of different issues with that version. I don't know if it is now possible to download an unpatched version. It is possible that your boxed version may be the unpatched version, and if that is the case and if you didn't install the patch or let the program automatically install it, then your issue could be different.

Could you please clarify the version number from the splash screen or Help>About?
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Postby The Iceman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:00 am

Here you go...
I have updated to the latest version. I have had this updated version for a week or so now and is still locking up.

The Iceman

Postby JoeB » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:47 am

Yes, this does show that you have the SP1 patch applied to X8, and as I said some people have reported varying issues with that.

1) Did you install from the boxed DVD and then update it yourself immediately or let PSP automatically update itself? Or was the original version on the DVD already the latest updated version?

2) If the install from the DVD wasn't the updated, patched version did you try using it before it became updated with the patch? If so, did it work then?
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
JoeB

Postby The Iceman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:34 pm

My boxed version of PSP X8 was "not" the updated (SP1) version.
I always do manual updates to any program I have as I did with this one. I never let them do auto updates.
As far as the program locking up before applying the patch, I can't remember.

Should I just uninstall it and re-install and "don't" apply the SP1 update?

Thanks for everyone's help!!!
The Iceman

Postby JoeB » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:46 pm

Yes, given that you updated with the SP1 patch I would suggest you do a complete uninstall and then try to reinstall the program without the update and see if it works for you. If it does then do not install the patch. As I mentioned, some people are reporting various issues when they install the update such as program not opening properly, sudden crashes in certain situations, etc. but many are able to use X8 fine without the patch. Corel is aware of the issues and we can only hope they release a better update patch in the very near future!

Please report back if you do the reinstall and let us know if it works.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
JoeB

Postby gbotes » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi. I did briefly experience intermittent and random freezing up of the program, with my initial install of PSP X8. Corel Support pointed me to this - http://howto.corel.com/en/c/How_to_remo ... tem_issues - which was apart of the solutiion for me. The other parts consisted of running Windows Update to update my graphics drivers and various other operating system components, and I also found that my anti-virus program had interfered with the install process - I had to temporarily disable it to reinstall PSP properly. Occasionally, I notice that my anti-virus still interferes with the running of PSP - it slows PSP down when it's loading my plugins, for example, and occasionally this still seems to cause a program crash. However, it only happens once in a long while now.
gbotes

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500Gb
Corel programs: Paint Shop Pro X8, Aftershot 2

Postby trueblue » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:11 am

I had the same problem as you. Freezing and Not responding! I completely uninstalled PSPX8 then installed SP1 and so far so good. The programme has not frozen or not responded at all. In fact, PSPX8 is running extremely well just as I expect it to.
I really do believe that there are conflicts with Windows, anti-virus and in some cases video/graphic cards. I had similar problems with VideoStudio X8 and now that's working as it should also.
~~~~Maureen~~~~
Tutorial Writer for PaintShop Pro

Creative-Designs
Free! PaintShop Pro Tutorials
PaintShop Pro - VideoStudio Pro - AfterShot - CorelDraw - Painter
trueblue

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUS Z97M Plus
processor: Intel Core i7-4790 CPU 3.60 GHz
ram: 12GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
sound_card: NVIDIA High Def Audio Realtek High Def
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1.740GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Benq E2420HD 24" wide x 2 monitors
Corel programs: PSPX8-VideoStudio-AfterShot

Postby raptor556 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:09 pm

I have been having a similar problem. On my Surface Pro 3, whenever I change the opacity of a layer, the entire program freezes and the only way to close it is to go into task manager. (it might do this under other circumstances, but I've never been able to get the program to run long enough to find them) Needless to say, this renders the program pretty much useless.

I originally installed the program from a boxed disk version which installed version 18.0.0.124 x64 and this issue occurred right from the beginning.
Since I haven't been able to use the program, I only recently installed the patch, bringing the version to 18.1.0.67 x64 and this has done absolutely nothing to change the behavior of the crash.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program and all updates. It still crashes under the same circumstances no matter how few or how many updates I have installed.
I have tried cleaning out the temp folder as outlined above with no results.
I have updated all my graphics drivers, again with no results.
I have also installed some previous versions (X and X1) but they suffer from the same crash, as well as the 32 bit version of X8, and X8 running under ever possible compatibility mode.

In researching this issue online, I have found hardly any reference to crashes like this. This string is as close as I've yet found.
I have two suspicions about this issue:
The first is that is has to do with multiple layers / opacity settings. The closest issues I can find which result in similar crashes involve tools that use layers and/or opacity.
The second is that it has something to do with Microsoft Surfaces. I have two friends who also have Surfaces, both different models, and they have had this exact same problem.

This issue is really annoying because I like PSP. I've been a long time user who would like to continue using it, but at the moment, it simply will not run on my computer.
raptor556

motherboard: Microsoft Surface Pro 3
processor: Intel Core i7-4650U CPU - 1.70GHz
ram: 8.00 GB
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 5000
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 256 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Corel programs: Paint Shop Pro X8

Postby moondog » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:50 pm

raptor556 wrote:I have been having a similar problem. On my Surface Pro 3, whenever I change the opacity of a layer, the entire program freezes and the only way to close it is to go into task manager. (it might do this under other circumstances, but I've never been able to get the program to run long enough to find them) Needless to say, this renders the program pretty much useless.

In researching this issue online, I have found hardly any reference to crashes like this. This string is as close as I've yet found.
I have two suspicions about this issue:
The first is that is has to do with multiple layers / opacity settings. The closest issues I can find which result in similar crashes involve tools that use layers and/or opacity.
The second is that it has something to do with Microsoft Surfaces. I have two friends who also have Surfaces, both different models, and they have had this exact same problem.

This issue is really annoying because I like PSP. I've been a long time user who would like to continue using it, but at the moment, it simply will not run on my computer.

I have exactly the same symptoms regarding layers and opacity; often when I change the opacity the whole program freezes and I have to use Task Manager to close it. The two differences are that I am using X7 rather than X8 and on a Windows 10 computer, not a Surface. Puzzling, to say the least, but it is rendering my software unusable and I am considering looking for an alternative
moondog

motherboard: MEDION H61H2-LM3 V1.0
processor: 3.00 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3330
ram: 6GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 800GB
Corel programs: X7

Postby hartpaul » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:27 am

I see that some have solved their problems by stopping their antivirus programs. Might be an idea to actually name the antivirus program to see if there is any consistency there. Every little bit helps.
Systems available Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.2007 & version 1809 Build 17763.615
hartpaul
Advisor

motherboard: ASUSTeK P7P55D STRIX B240F GAMING
processor: IntelCore i7 7700 3.60 Ghz
ram: 8 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
sound_card: Nvidia High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC
Corel programs: PSP8,X2 to X9,2018,2019,2020

Postby raptor556 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:49 am

Even without an antivirus program installed on my system, this problem still occurs, so I can't offer anything there to narrow things down.
raptor556

Postby Cloudscout » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:10 am

I'm having the same issue with my Surface Book and contacted Corel "support" today. Their response was:

Thank you for contacting Corel Technical Support.

I understand that you are having issues with the product. Let me go ahead and help you.

Please be informed that PaintShop Pro X8 is not compatible to run with Microsoft Surface Book, that is why you are having an issue with the program.

You may refer from the link below for minimum system requirement of the program. Thank you.

http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products ... quirements

Thank you.

Of course there's nothing on that minimum requirements list that would suggest the Surface Book isn't supported. I guess I can go through the uninstall/reinstall process to see if that clears it up. I'll report back with the results.
Cloudscout

motherboard: Surface Book
processor: Intel Core i5-6300U
ram: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 940M
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 256GB SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Surface Book 13.5" 4000x3000 Display
Corel programs: PaintShop Pro X8 Ultimate

Postby raptor556 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:41 pm

I decided to contact Corel about this as well. My question:
"Why doesn't PSP X8 run on Microsoft Surface Pro computers that meet or exceed the program's minimum system requirements? The computer's hardware is all fairly standard and PSP runs in Win10 on other systems. There should be no reason why it shouldn't also run on a surface pro."

Their Reply:
"The developers are aware of the situation of running Corel programs in the Microsoft Surface Pro.
What we can only assure is that it will run but we cannot assure smooth/optimum performance compared to a desktop or laptop computer.
I am now informing you that I will now close this ticket."

So basically, they're telling us that they know about this problem, but they don't care and we're screwed. I mean seriously, he's saying that just because it "runs" (completely ignoring the fact that it crashes when you use basic tools) this is okay? This makes the program completely useless if you have a Surface. The least they could do is put a note in the system requirements stating that it won't run on a Surface.
raptor556

Postby LeviFiction » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:04 pm

I don't think that means they don't care. They're just aware of the problem and there is nothing that can be currently done. True the response was rather curt but thankfully the issue isn't universal. X8 works beautifully for me on my Surface Pro 3.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Next

Return to Paint Shop Pro