Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

cvnativeinpa
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Smart Selection Brush Freezes Program

Post by cvnativeinpa »

I've checked the Preferences and I have a scratch disk enabled. But how would I go about using it?
cvnativeinpa

Post by cvnativeinpa »

Thanks for your help. After uninstalling and reinstalling the program, and still having the same issue, I finally made it work. How I did it was I updated Java, (I'm sure this doesn't make sense, but what the heck) went into File Preferences in PSP, and checked all the boxes for the formats that the application would use. Then I went into the PSP temp and cache folders and deleted the files there. It seems to be working now.
JoeB
operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Post by JoeB »

cvnativeinpa wrote:I've checked the Preferences and I have a scratch disk enabled. But how would I go about using it?
First, you use the dropdown underneath the checkbox to see what disc drives you have available and how much free space each of them have. Select one of those drives as your scratch disc. Then you don't do anything because PSP simply uses that disc as the disc to read/write temporary files to when performing various operations, particularly those which involve memory intensive operations. The scratch disc can be used in those circumstances where there is insufficient memory to retain and allow retrieval of necessary information, things like working with a large number of images, multiple layers, multiple memory intensive adjustments, etc.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
confundido
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
Hard_Drive_Capacity: Scottsdale

Post by confundido »

Just bought 2019. 1st thing I tried to do was use Smart Select. Just touching the image once with Smart Selection freezes the program. Win7 64 bit.
Derek Gillan
Corel programs: Paintshop pro 2020

Post by Derek Gillan »

HeshamRagab wrote:
Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:53 am
The Smart Selection Brush stopped working causing the program to freeze and I have to close it through task manager. I have Paintshop Pro X7. Windows 8. 8 GB RAM. Both 64 and 32-bit gave the same issue. Other selection tools seem to work though! I have noticed that this issue faced other members but could not find a solution for! I wonder if anybody would have an explanation or a solution for this problem! Thank you.
I have had the same problem with 2019, 2020 versions I believe the mouse drivers are corrupt, I did a system restore and it worked, before the new update that reversed the system restore.
jlovda
motherboard: Dell XPS 8700
processor: i7-4790
ram: 20 GB
Video Card: GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Corel programs: PSP Ult. 2021, 2020, 2018

Post by jlovda »

I just tried using the Smart Selection Brush for the first time in PSP 21. If I click on the brush I can go up to the menus and modify things. As soon as I put the brush on the photo and start applying it, everything outside the picture area is locked and I have to use Task Manager to clear the program.
migf1

Post by migf1 »

Just run into the exact same problem, all of a sudden, both PSP 2020 and 2021. It used to work fine. I haven't changed anything, apart from binding some scripts and putting them in custom menus. Tried resetting the smart brush, no luck. Didn't try to reset the whole program, cause I have a whole bunch of custom paths under File Locations (plugins included). I'm afraid I'll have to, unless someone else has done it and can provide feedback if it worked for them.

Win 8.1 Pro x64
Ryzen 5 1600
GTX 1050Ti/4Gb
2x8Gb RAM
Last edited by migf1 on Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Unofficial PaintShop Pro Tutorials: Creation CasselMake Shop ProHEC Image EditingLeviFiction PSP Basics
(plus my own Gimp & Stuff)
migf1

Post by migf1 »

Do PSP cache files reside only in Windows %temp% folders, or there are other locations I should know of? I'd like to try deleting all cache files and try again.
Good Unofficial PaintShop Pro Tutorials: Creation CasselMake Shop ProHEC Image EditingLeviFiction PSP Basics
migf1

Post by migf1 »

Ok I just reset everything in PSP 2021 except File Locations, from the File -> Preferences -> Reset Preferences dialog. Didn't help.

Someone mentioned above they fixed it by updating Java Run Time on their system, but I don't have JRE installed anyway. Smart Brush used to work, so I don't think Java is relevant (can we have some definitive feedback on that?).

I also remembered that recently I installed the CopyTrans HEIC codec on my system, but I just uninstalled it and the issue remains. Finally, the Smart Brush has also stopped working in PSP X7... this suggests that it may have something to do with some Windows setting after all.

I have 3 versions installed on my system: X7, 2020 and 2021, and the Smart Brush stopped working on all of them. So uninstalling and installing all 3 of them seems like a big stretch. It must be something else causing this issue.

I'll try cleaning up the registry with CCLeaner and restart Windows, and I'll edit this post to tell if it helped or not.

EDIT: It's fixed! However, I have no idea what caused it. It could be the CopyTrans HEIC codec which I did uninstall, but I didn't restart Windows after that. Or it could be something CCLeaner fixed in the Registry. It's not JRE for sure, since I don't have it on my system. I wish I had more info about what causes the Smart Brush to freeze PSP. Btw, in my case, PSP froze, but the Task Manager did NOT show the "Not Responding" message next to PSP... despite being frozen, in the Task Manager PSP was shown as being working normally.