RMS1
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 4GB
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro

Cannot Save or Save As except in PSP format

Post by RMS1 »

Hi, I am using PSP X8. Everything has been OK since installing some four years ago, until now - I mainly use it to scan, then crop, resize, enhance etc. I have just scanned some images in PSP and attempted to save them as JPG files, but the program kept on reporting there had been a file error in saving. I then tried saving as a TIF, but same result. It seems I can now only Save or Save As in the proprietry PSP format. I am not sure what has gone wrong, but it seems the program is not recognising other file formats when saving, even though they appear in the Save As listing choices.
If it is necessary to uninstall and reinstall, or reinstall over the top of what exists, what is the installation file name? It would originally have been downloaded to the computer when I purchased the program some years ago.
Thanks.
Jean-Luc
motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

Re: Cannot Save or Save As except in PSP format

Post by Jean-Luc »

THE PAINTSHOP PRO COOKBOOK
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
RMS1

Post by RMS1 »

Hi,
That solution was successful! I have reset the program, and have re-saved a JPG file to a new file name using Save As, and have saved a new sample file to JPG.
Thank you!
RMS1

Post by RMS1 »

I'm posting this about three weeks after previous posting.
The same problem is occurring again. This time, though, I am carrying out the instructions to reset PSP to default state, but I cannot save a file in any format but the native PSPIMAGE. I have followed the instructions for Option 1 and Option 2. I have tried saving in JPG and TIFF, but each time a pop-up message says, "An error has occurred while trying to write to the file".
Thanks.
Kathy_9
Site Admin
processor: 8th Generation Intel Core i7 8700 3 20 GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 [6 GB GDDR6 dedicated]
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP EliteDisplay E243m 23.8-inch
Corel programs: PSPX4 ~2021; DrawX5; Painter 2018~21

Post by Kathy_9 »

This error seems to pop up from time to time in this forum. I did an internet search on your error message and found this thread at Microsoft. Maybe this will help you since the resetting of PSP did not.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 9ce48819bb
PSPX ver. 10.10, PSPX9 ver. 19.0.0.96, PSP2021 ver. 23.1.0.27, PSP2020 ver. 22.2.0.8 2019 ver. 21.1.0.22, and & PhotoMirage installed; PSPX2 thru PSP2018 owned but not installed
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37153430@N03/
RMS1

Post by RMS1 »

I have tried to follow those Windows instructions to run "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" , but when I run CMD there is no way I can select the pop-up option for "Run as Administrator", as there is no pop-up - it goes straight to the command window. I cannot run "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" without the elevated Administrator privilege.
In any case I am able to save as JPG files directly from a scanned image in scanning software, so I don't think I have missing or corrupted system files. As well I have run a program called Avast Cleanup which repairs system files, and it reports no issues. I can also save as JPG files in Windows Paint. This issue is only happening in PSP - and it is recent, as I said in my first posting on this thread.
I am wondering if I should uninstall PSP Pro, and reinstall it. If so, what is the name of the PSP Pro installation program file? I would have downloaded it on purchase a few years ago, but I don't know what the filename is.
Thanks.
Forriner
motherboard: ASUS Z170M-PLUS
processor: Intel Core i5-6400
ram: 16 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1250 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips Brilliance 272b 2560 × 1440

Post by Forriner »

RMS1, you should be able to run CMD.exe as administrator by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting Command Prompt (Admin).

If there's a Windows Powershell option instead of command prompt, open the Windows settings menu, Personalization, Taskbar, and turn "Replace Command Prompt with Windows Powershell" off.
Jean-Luc
motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

Post by Jean-Luc »

RMS1, if you have a slide show active or in the background (or another program pointing to the same folders), this will prevent PSP to access the related folders.
THE PAINTSHOP PRO COOKBOOK
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
RMS1

Post by RMS1 »

Replying to previous two responses by Forriner and Jean-Luc:
When right-clicking the Start button CMD is not available, but Windows Powershell and Windows Powershell (Admin) are. I had no idea! I have not yet attempted to run "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" in Powershell.

So far as I'm aware I don't have a slide show active or in the background. When I right-click the Start button then go to Settings and Personalization, then click Picture, one picture is already selected as a background pic to my desktop. The other options, which are not selected, are Solid Color and Slideshow. I have been displaying this same single picture since I got this laptop about two or three years ago, and since before I installed PSP on it. I don't see how this could suddenly interfere with PSP, as it has been OK for the past two years, up until now. I have made sure there is no other program, such as another graphics program, running and pointing at the same folder as the one where PSP is currently pointing when i try to save as a JPG file.
Thanks.