Windvd 2010 issues.

Distaria
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Windvd 2010 issues.

Post by Distaria »

I have a Toshiba Qosmio laptop, which came with Corel software for using blu-rays, which I'm pretty sure is WinDVD 2010. Most movies it runs just fine, but I just bought a new movie (Grand Budapest Hotel) which starts, then promptly informs me my player need an update. Well, the built in Toshiba Service Station software has no patches for it, the one from Toshiba's support site is apparently for a different player they give with the newer models in this line; that patch runs and then claims there's no player installed. Corel's site has patches for Windvd 2010, but the newest one I see is from 4 years ago, before I even had this laptop. The thing is, I'm almost certain it's a stupid DRM thing. WinDVD used to, on occasion download some kind of security keys from Corel's site, but I can't find a way to manually force it to do that. Any insight would be appreciated.
DVDDoug

Re: Windvd 2010 issues.

Post by DVDDoug »

This page has some updates to WinDVD 2010 and WinDVD 2010 Pro.

I don't know if that will help... You may have already applied these updates, and/or you're not sure if you even have WinDVD.

The Blu-Ray player that came with my Toshiba laptop doesn't say "Corel". I found a this Toshiba Player Software that you can download. It looks like a slightly older version of what I have on my laptop.
[size=92][i]Head over heels,
No time to think.
It's like the whole world's
Out of... sync.[/i]
- Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos.[/size]
Distaria
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Windvd 2010 issues.

Post by Distaria »

I'll give that a shot. I have a feeling that's the software the Toshiba support site has patches for. For some reason with this laptop, they included Corel for Blu-ray. In the Start menu it's "Corel WinDVD BD." In the program's directory, it's WinDVD 2010. I have a feeling I'm falling prey to a case of They Just Stopped Bothering. They got their own software for Blu-ray, and just stopped maintaining anything for the old one, or stopped licensing with them or something. Toshiba's had their own regular DVD software for a long time, but I guess when I bought this computer they still didn't. Or maybe because this one's got 3D support and they needed outside software for that. The page you linked is the one I checked, and all I saw were the service packs from 4 years ago. It's obvious to me it's a DRM issue, it's plays the Warner Brothers logo, then comes up with this angry red message about updating. The DRM crap with Blu-ray in particular makes me angry, all it does is make life harder for the customer. I can't watch a movie I paid for on this computer, whereas I could have just stolen it from the web and already been watching it. Thanks for the links.