video_conversioner
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Corel programs: Corel VideoStudio x8

Videstudio Imports to Computer Freezing

Post by video_conversioner »

Hello-

I'm currently undertaking a long and complicated project for a friend by transferring all of his home movies from DVD to digital. I've been using the "import from digital media" process for the files and then removing the thumbnails so I just get the MPG files on the computer. However, the files don't play correctly- as soon as you try to skip to even halfway through the video, it freezes and either won't do anything, or when it plays again the audio and video are not lined up correctly.

These videos are quite long- anywhere from an hour and a half to 3 hours in length, but this is the easiest, quickest and cheapest way I know how to do this project. Is there something wrong on my end, or can Corel just not handle importing videos solely to my computer that are over a certain time length? I've tried shorter ones (15 minutes) and they play OK, though sometimes the play bar will get to the end while the video time elapsed numbers keep going for a few more seconds.

Thanks!
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Re: Videstudio Imports to Computer Freezing

Post by lata »

video_conversioner, welcome to the forums
Can you confirm which version of Video Studio you are working with, your profile shows X8 is that correct, please update your profile where appropriate

Are the discs a true DVD or a Data disc, the DVD should contain the Video -TS folder
You say using "import from digital media" is this the process you are using.
http://lata.me.uk/corel/importdvd/dvd.htm

I do not understand the following comment – what thumbnails?
I've been using the "import from digital media" process for the files and then removing the thumbnails so I just get the MPG files on the computer.
Are you referring to the Title and Chapter options from the Import panel.

As a guide
Each DVD holds 4.3 Gb of data, Mpeg2 files.
The data rate of the Mpeg2 file controls the quality and duration of the video
At 8000kbps we can have 70 minutes of video per disc, full quality
At 6000kbps 90 minutes per disc, reasonable quality
4000kbps allows for 120 minutes, deemed as VHS quality
Of course we can reduce the data rate further giving more footage but quality will reduce.

As you are referring to 3 hours durations, or are you combining disc files into one project.

Please right click a clip and choose properties, what are they?
You can create an image of that panel to attach to your post.
Regards Trevor
JET2020
motherboard: X470 Taichi
processor: Ryzen 7 2700x
ram: 16GB
Video Card: GTX1080Ti
sound_card: Quad Capture
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 300GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: EIZO
Corel programs: CorelDRAW,Painter、Paintshop,VideoStudio

Post by JET2020 »

VideoStudio was released in February 2015.
Windows 10 was released in July 2015, and while VideoStudio X8 has been updated to support it, it has not been FIXED to the subsequent Windows 10 update.

It may be useful to try the latest trial version of VideoStudio to see if it can import as well.

Copy the contents of the DVD, Video_TS, to your desktop. How about importing the copied data into VideoStudio?

It is also a good idea to select and import only the clips, not the chapters.
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Post by tletter »

JET2020 wrote: Windows 10 was released in July 2015, and while VideoStudio X8 has been updated to support it, it has not been FIXED to the subsequent Windows 10 update.
X8 runs on Win10 V20H2 (OS Build 19042.906), which is the latest version of Windows 10. So how should X8 be "FIXED" to run on Win10?

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio: 5 old versions + 2021

Post by Davidk »

From the 1st post, it seems a reasonable assumption that you are importing from DVD, but you haven't answered the question specific to that. If by chance you are importing from a data disk (see Trevor's statement of how to verify that; a DVD disk will have that unique Video_TS folder) then a simple explorer copy of the files to a local location will suffice. Once there, you can import to VS by several methods, but the one I use is to rt click in the UI timeline space, and choose the type of files to import (here, video files) from the list, navigate to the local location, choose one or all as necessary, and OK: the files will appear sequentially in the main Timeline. Edit from there.
JET2020

Post by JET2020 »

I think the support in the updater is just a stopgap measure, and the official support will come when the package is released.
In addition, since there have been a large number of updates and changes to Windows 10 since its release, if an application does not work properly, there is a possibility that the cause of the problem is the updater up to the latest version of Windows 10. If it's working fine, then you're lucky.

Considering that the lifespan of a computer is about 5 years at most, it is better to update the software periodically to make sure that it is compatible with the surrounding applications, drivers and hardware.

So if you don't have the same problem with a newer version of the trial version, it's because VideoStudioX8 is old and you need a new one.

When importing digital media, if the error is caused by the disc, instead of importing from the disc into VideoStudio, copy the contents of the disc to the desktop and then import it, which is a common troubleshooting method for installing applications.

If you change the extension of the vob file to mpg, you can load it anyway, is a troubleshooting tip that was once mentioned by Adobe and others. (I don't remember where the page is).
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio: 5 old versions + 2021

Post by Davidk »

Digressing re Jet's remarks on computer life . .
I upgraded my m/b in July 2015. It was a 64 bit choice, the failed one was 32bits. And altho I have expected it to fail in the last year or so, it hasn't; going strong. I had an issue with the windows memory test recently, it began an uncommanded test run at boot, but found no errors. Diagnostics per the tenforum led to an overnight run of the memtest86+ program, that tests not only the system RAM but the controllers that run it. 9 passes, no errors, 10 hours elapsed. Everything good.
My conclusion from the memory run is a windows glitch - win10 has this unstoppable itch to download and update stuff without telling the user. More than once I got a message on next boot about a download interrupted by a close down sequence: something I would not have done if there was any indication of an update in progress. So I think the memory diagnostic was a result of that more than any hardware issues.

So, once 5 years out of a computer - the motherboard and memory generally - was good, but reliability is increasing. The one I have is going on 6 years and still testing out fine. And I can see this happening in the windows 10 take-up statistics: many users update the OS (eg from win7) when the hardware fails, but the sluggish rate of upgrades to win 10 (lots of commentary about this relative the announced MS expectations) indicates in part that the hardware of the last 5 years is a lot more reliable than the equipment the went before it.
JET2020

Post by JET2020 »

I have written an example of troubleshooting.

Davidk. It's good to know that your computer has a long lifespan, but it doesn't mean that you should be told that, because that is not true for all computers that exist in the world. Since the warranty of Dell and other computer manufacturers ends after five years, it is a good rule of thumb.

As I have written many times, if you haven't had any trouble, don't worry about it.
It means that it can be one of the factors when trouble occurs.

There was an incident where VideoStudio stopped starting because of the Windows 7 updater.

You may also find that you cannot read the MP4s generated by the new device. In such cases, it is quite natural to suspect the computer environment and software version.