VS2021 Libraries/projects importing libraries. Different VERS.

Moderator: Ken Berry

brucefl
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: I7 3770
processor: 3-4 Gig
ram: 12gb
Video Card: NT Geoforce 640
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 T
Corel programs: VS21 VS18thru21 and more PIX13

VS2021 Libraries/projects importing libraries. Different VERS.

Post by brucefl »

Hello,
I Have probably asked this question at least a dozen times. You will have to forgive the premature senility. I know I have had VS since version 3.
Right now I have 3 versions 2019,2020,2021 installed on the computer, one problem is libraries and/or projects that the new VS programs that do not automatically
install. The question, should I export the libraries from the two other programs? I am trying to avoid overwriting any files.
What is the best way to do these, because the projects I put a file folder in the library to keep from chasing down files or going through re-linking files?
I also know "IF" I have a problem Corel want me to uninstall the two previous version, though it is probably best or I would have at least 7 versions.
I think they stopped the updates around version x3 or x4 and went to full install packages.

How do some of you do it to keep your files (and your heads) straight? Do you keep all you VS projects in one folder? And the files associated with them?
I have 191 VSP projects and folders from vers. 12, 14-21. I try to keep files and folders as clean as possible.

I would appreciate any suggestions to keep from loosing anything :) or having to search through past DVD's and files.

Thanks Once again for the input.
Bruce
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Re: VS2021 Libraries/projects importing libraries. Different VERS.

Post by asik1 »

Your relinking issues are because you keep changing your drives, hence different files paths.
You should keep each project as smart package so it's files are together.
So you have 191 vsp's that you didn't finish and you continue to work on?
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

I have a Panasonic camcorder it records AVCHD that creates MTS files
These files are imported to my pc and saved in a dedicated folder used for this project, I also import Images / audio files to the same folder, sometimes creating Sub- folders, that depends on the amount of files I am using.
I can either copy and paste the files from my SD card direct to the new folder or use Video Studio to import, the latter also creates clips / thumbnails showing within the program.
Other dedicated folders will be created for any additional project.
My PC setup allows me to use my D Drive for these files keeping my C Drive relatively clear / clean.
Of course I try my best to keep these files in the same location which helps in any re-links I would have to do.

As mentioned using Video Studio I can import the video files directly to the timelines to create my project.
My project files VSP’s are also saved to the same project folder.
I do not need to use the library but can be convenient in holding the video clips for this particular project, of course I create a new library folder for these clips.

Opening VSP project files, older projects can be opened in the newer version, however projects are no longer backward compatible so 2021 projects cannot be opened using 2020.
Where I open a 2019 project in 2021 I always create a copy for the newer version retaining a copy to be used with 2019.

Importing / Exporting libraries
As I do not rely on the libraries to hold my clip this option is not used and therefor not a problem
However we can if we wish Export the library as a copy to be use again, I may do this when I am Re-installing the program.
As far as I know we can Import libraries created using 2019 to 2021

Re-linking
If we see the re-link request panel then it indicates that the existing file has been moved / deleted / renamed from its original location.
That location address shows at the top of the panel helping us to locate the files. Of course where we use the library to hold very old files locating could take a while.
The only advice to avoiding re-linking is simply good housekeeping.
As you said “I try to keep files and folders as clean as possible.” and that’s all you can do.
Regards Trevor
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio: 5 old versions + 2021

Post by Davidk »

Adi,
That's hardly fair. I have just as many vsps (maybe more) for holidays I have done, and even tho the projects are completed and rendered, I don't remove either the vsp's or the rendered files. I do however periodically save those on large removable usb drives, 2-4Tb) to de-clutter things. Occasionally, I want to go back and re-edit a project for some reason, and as long as I save the changed versions 'save as', the 2 projects are still separate.

Good housekeeping . .
Everyone has or should have their own way of doing this. Mine is to separate the application program from the project files, video and other files the program works on (that way the source clips are not deleted when a version is superseded and the related folders removed), and to copy/save in a separate directory the sample files for each version. Which enables you to use items eg from x5 (like a pointing finger image that isn't in later versions) in a later version even when x5 has long been uninstalled. I have even found myself using some of the VS samples in another editor. And all of this in on the storage of the main PC which is admittedly large (265Gb of video, pictures and audio source files, on drives that are about half full on average), but it certainly avoids re-links when re-using project files.
brucefl
motherboard: I7 3770
processor: 3-4 Gig
ram: 12gb
Video Card: NT Geoforce 640
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 T
Corel programs: VS21 VS18thru21 and more PIX13

Post by brucefl »

No, I finished just about all the projects. Though I usually end up burning .iso's because if I do it directly it always says the DVD recorders are in use or something. Corel has not been very co-operative in this problem. It was kind of nice when upgrades imported everything from previous versions and deleted the programs. It is fairly easy backing up on DVD's or USB's. Do you realize how many pictures you accumulate since Version 3 to 21? lol More than a Lot I do have a propensity for doing several back-ups in case something messes up. I guess I will have to view all of them an decide. Also VS likes to names the same when doing a new one so you can have multiple files with the same name. Still learning after 18 or so versions. Though getting input what others do, I find helps. Thanks