No project message when inserting to timeline??

Moderator: Ken Berry

spudgun
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Corel programs: Corel Videostudio 2020

No project message when inserting to timeline??

Post by spudgun »

Hello esteemed artists.
I'm not quite sure what's happened but when I insert a video into the timeline, it no longer asks me if I want to change the Project properties to the inserted video. More importantly, when rendering OUT the video, I now no longer have the option of using 'SHARE' as 'Same as first video clip'.

I have checked the Preferences tab and the box gto notify me when videos are placed in timeline is still checked so I have no idea.....

Please HELP!
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Re: No project message when inserting to timeline??

Post by Ken Berry »

Apparently you are only asked if you want to match the Project Settings if the existing Project Settings are different from the properties of the clip you are inserting. So check to see if the properties of the clip and those already set in VS are different.

I am less sure about why Same As First Video Clip is not available. But if the Project Settings are already the same as the properties of the clip, then is Share > Same As Project Properties available?
Ken Berry
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

Hello Ken.
It has ALWAYS asked me if I want to change the properties, even if the inserted clip is the SAME as the project properties. I have always had the option to render out as the project properties OR the properties of the 1st clip but I now only have the option of SHARE same as project properties.
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

Sorry Ken.
Forgot to add that as a result of this problem, even when I post a new project clip into the timeline, it adopts the properties of whatever clip was last rendered. So I can put a HD clip in the timeline and it could treat it as a 4k UHD clip unless I physically alter the project propeerties.
Most annoying.
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

1 / When the properties of the video file being used is suitable to set the project properties then the Messages will show.
2 / The messages will only show once for each project.
3 / If the project properties already match the video being used then messages do not show as they are not required, there is an anomaly with 2021 when using some 4K video that does show irrespective of the properties already set, I believe that to be in error although does not affect the project as such.
4 / Some video types cannot do that, WMV and Mov files cannot be used to set the properties nor can any video not having an audio stream
5 / Each time we reboot the program or start a new project the previous settings will be used for project properties
6 / The Share – Same as First Clip is a little more forgiving and will allow itself to be used on a greater amount of video.
7 / using Video with no Audio this option will be unavailable
8 / If Same as First Clip is greyed out and not available then check the properties of the first video clip on the top timeline.
There will be a reason for this option to be unavailable. Post those properties for us to see

I am sure there may be other options I have missed.

9 / If you do not wish to change the project properties and are happy with the default settings, then hit NO when seeing the message.
10 / From Share – only the Same as Project and Same as First clip will use the default settings, all other options are a manual choice.
Regards Trevor
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

lata wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:38 am
1 / When the properties of the video file being used is suitable to set the project properties then the Messages will show.
2 / The messages will only show once for each project.
3 / If the project properties already match the video being used then messages do not show as they are not required, there is an anomaly with 2021 when using some 4K video that does show irrespective of the properties already set, I believe that to be in error although does not affect the project as such.
4 / Some video types cannot do that, WMV and Mov files cannot be used to set the properties nor can any video not having an audio stream
5 / Each time we reboot the program or start a new project the previous settings will be used for project properties
6 / The Share – Same as First Clip is a little more forgiving and will allow itself to be used on a greater amount of video.
7 / using Video with no Audio this option will be unavailable
8 / If Same as First Clip is greyed out and not available then check the properties of the first video clip on the top timeline.
There will be a reason for this option to be unavailable. Post those properties for us to see

I am sure there may be other options I have missed.

9 / If you do not wish to change the project properties and are happy with the default settings, then hit NO when seeing the message.
10 / From Share – only the Same as Project and Same as First clip will use the default settings, all other options are a manual choice.

Trevor.
Sorry for delay in responding. Have been working away......Many thanks for your input. Yes, it would appear to be that Videostudio has a BIG problem with my .MOV files. MP4 not a problem, but MOV, especially the DCI version, (4096 X 2160), not only do NOT prompt the Videostudio program to set the project properties, irrespective of the properties of the previous workflow, but they also render out HORRENDOUSLY, no matter what manual inputs I make. Whether this is a problem with ALL mov files or just Panasonic files I do not know.....but it seems as though I am going to have to stick with MP4.
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Post by Ken Berry »

Can we assume you have the Quicktime codec installed?
Ken Berry
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

You say you make manual inputs but do not give any details, I assume you are using VS 2020
Can you tell us………
1 / Project Properties
2 / the properties of the Mov files, the frame size and frame rate
3 / the option you chose when doing Share –

I would manually set the project properties to MP4 and match the frame size and rate to the video.

are you able to provide a sample video so we can test on our systems
Regards Trevor
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

Ken Berry wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:21 am
Can we assume you have the Quicktime codec installed?
Hello Ken......
I wouldn't honestly know! I have never manually purposely downloaded it or looked for it. I didn't know that Videostudio 2020 NEEDED it, or if it did, why it doesn't already have it! :D
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

lata wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:35 am
You say you make manual inputs but do not give any details, I assume you are using VS 2020
Can you tell us………
1 / Project Properties
2 / the properties of the Mov files, the frame size and frame rate
3 / the option you chose when doing Share –

I would manually set the project properties to MP4 and match the frame size and rate to the video.

are you able to provide a sample video so we can test on our systems
Hi Trevor. Unable to provide much details at moment as am away working again! However, I can tell you that the Project Properties are whatever the PREVIOUS clip was, as my .MOV 4096 X 2160 clips do NOT prompt Videostudio 2020 to ask if I want to change the Project Properties to the inserted clip. The MP4 clips DO induce the system to ask, and if I select 'yes', then it changes it to the properties of the inserted clip and renders out a beautiful clip.

My MOV files are all shot on Panasonic HC-X1 camera and are 4096 X 2160, shot at 24 frames per second. The ONLY option I have when I SHARE is to select 'Same as project properties', although of course it is NOT the correct properties of the inserted clip, and the properties are whatever the last rendered clip was, be it 1920 or 1080 or whatever. The option to select the properties 'same as inserted clip' is greyed out, so I can not select this anyway.

I have tried several means of rendering out the file, at 3840 X 1920 AND the 4096 X 2160, entering the values manually, and the resultant clip is poor quality, having a fuzziness.
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Post by Ken Berry »

AFAIK the QT codec has never been included in any version of VS, despite it being required for .mov clips. It may be included in the K-Lite codec pack, so if you have loaded that, you may have it.

If not, it is easy enough to load. Apple, which makes QT, says there is some problem with the QT player and have refused for several years now to update it for PCs. But it is still possible to install what is called QT Essentials, which contains the codec. Have a look at this post for instructions -- it was written for an earlier version of VS but applies to all versions. https://forum.corel.com/viewtopic.php?p=382228#p382228
Ken Berry
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Quick Time

View your PC Start menu, if installed will be listed as Quicktime

As you are able to play the Mov file then i do not think the Quicktime codec is a problem.

Show Messages, as my earlier reply, item 4, Mov files cannot be used to set the project properties as such the Show Messages will not show.

The best option we have is to manually set the project properties to MP4 4096 X 2160, 24fps.
Then from Share use Same as Project

We can also create a new share profile to MP4 4096 X 2160, 24fps.

If you render the Mov to MP4 1920 x 1080 and change the frame rate then it will reduce quality as you are drastically reducing the frame size / resolution.

Ken, Quicktime was provided by the program but going back a few years , and not sure how far back, Maybe Ulead???

Update
Quicktime was provided by Corel X8, cannot vouch for other later programs X9 etc
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

I ran a test using Video Studio 2021 without QuickTime Codec being installed
So do we need QuickTime installed, the answer for me was confusing to say the least.

Several problems were found

1 / trying to create a new Mov profile failed when selecting the compression tab with a message to install QuickTime, as image 1, so do Corel recommend installing QuickTime.
click image for larger view
click image for larger view
2 / I had previously rendered SWF files to Mov Alpha with QuickTime installed, these files now crash Video Studio without QT
Now I re-install QT and those files play ok.
Interestingly I can render to Mov Alpha without QuickTime, these play ok using Video Studio.

3 / There are of course different types of QuickTime Mov files, some may work ok and others not.
Where we have problems then converting to another format may be the best option rather than installing the QuickTime Codec

4 / The last version to provide QuickTime as far as I can tell was CVS X8, so those using a later version will probably NOT have QuickTime installed, if you need QuickTime then it’s a manual installation.

5 / 25fps V 30 fps issue -- I tried changing the programs TV standards from Pal to NTSC and was able to use 30fps for my new Mov Alpha profiles, but reverting back to Pal messed up the profiles loosing the background transparency.

So do I need QuickTime?
Having tried without QT I had issues in creating a new profile that work, in fact all I wish to do is alter the frame rate from 25 fps to 30 fps, With QT installed I also have to set the TV Standards to NTSC in order for my profiles to work correctly.
So yes I need QuickTime Codec but also being a Pal user have to manage the TV Standards to get 30 fps Mov Alpha

Clear as mud
Regards Trevor
Candive
Corel programs: VS x10, VS 2020, PSP2018

Post by Candive »

Thank you Ken and lata,
This has been a very enlightening post. Last year I purchased a new desktop and went through the routine of installing all my programs. I didn't install QuickTime thinking after all these years it wasn't needed but like lata I got the same error message to install QuickTime when creating a new Mov profile. My Olympus action camera captures in Mov and I never quite understood why it never prompted the project message when I inserted the first clip onto the timeline. Now I know! Interestingly Mov is just another MPEG-4 format so if you just change the extension to mp4 (as a test) and insert it into the timeline, the project message appears with the correct file attributes. That being the case, I don't see why Corel couldn't make an easy fix for system to recognise the Mov file format. Particularly since this is a consumer product and many new users may default to selecting "Same as Project settings" upon export - with a result they didn't expect.

As for the TV standards; Pal vs NTSC - I'm in a Pal region but this distinction is becoming less important due to the way we are sharing media content these days. My Panasonic video camera is Pal, but my Olympus is NTSC and my DJI Osmo Action camera can shoot either. Again, as a test, I switch from Pal to NTSC in the settings only to be prompted to restart the system - really? Ah yes I remember doing that way back in version VSX2. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it! :wink:
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Post by Ken Berry »

Candive wrote:Interestingly Mov is just another MPEG-4 format
Well yes, mp4 video can carry the .mov extension, but so can a range of other formats wider than mp4. Mov is like .avi to that extent in that an incredible range of video formats use the .avi extension, but they are very widely apart in properties. So it is not so easy for a company like Corel to make an easy fix.

As for the PAL/NTSC divide, yes, there is less difference these days. But there are still some important differences which can affect how a video will look after rendering. This is especially so if you mix PAL video with NTSC video in the same project. What final format will you choose? If you choose PAL, which has less frames per second than NTSC, this will mean that the NTSC parts of the project will simply lose a number of frames per second to match up with the PAL frame rate. This will become even more marked if, for instance, the PAL video you are using is 25 fps progressive and the NTSC is 60 fps progressive. The loss of frames will be particularly noticeable if your video project contains a lot of fast action and panning.

And If you make the project NTSC, then extra frames will have to be invented to bring them up to the NTSC number, and to do this, VS simply copies existing frames. Again you might expect some jerkier parts of your project when its rendered.
Ken Berry