No project message when inserting to timeline??

Moderator: Ken Berry

lata
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Re: No project message when inserting to timeline??

Post by lata »

Thanks for that sample, I was able to insert the Mov to the timelines but that is as far as I could get, in replicating the settings I was unable to do that.
I did need to use Smart Proxy to improve project playback.
Show Messages did not appear to match the project properties, to be expected as we cannot set Mov types for Project Properties.
I could not create another profile either by copying or trying to match the original Mov properties, I could match the 4096 x 2160 by using User Defined sizes but no options to use those as a pre-set profile, manually setting 106Mb was a no no.

As for 4K Mov video files, Video Studio does not fully support this format, In this day and age it probably should, I believe Corel should address this issue.

Workround…………
A trick to re-name the Mov file to use MP4 extension did work and now show messages appeared showing these details, similar details as to MediaInfo

MPEG-4 Files
24 bits, 4096 x 2160, 24 fps
Frame-based
H.264 High Profile Video: 105600 Kbps
48000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo
LPCM Audio: 768 Kbps
However Project Properties DID NOT retain the higher data rate 106Mb but reverted to 40Mb ish

From Share – now shows the Same As options available
Same as Project using the lower 40Mb rate, not acceptable.

I was also able to render a new MP4 using Same as First Clip and that option did replicate the original properties using 106Mb.

As for Mov 10 bit video, like Ken a sample would be useful
My google findings seemed that 10 bit had to be Mov, not sure if Mpeg4 supports 10bit
Regards Trevor
spudgun
Corel programs: Corel Videostudio 2020

Post by spudgun »

Ken Berry wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:17 am
Yes. It is rather strange since Austin is normally one of the more reliable technical people at Corel...

If you want, you could also send us a small 10 bit sample via Dropbox...
I haven't actually SHOT any 10 bit footage yet Ken.....on a more positive note.....I responded to the Corel team that you appeared to have pointed me in the right direction towards a FIX, and they have requested I send them a couple of files, as well as a msinfo32 file from my system. Will keep you updated.
As always, huge kudos and thanks to you.
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

lata wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:52 am
Thanks for that sample, I was able to insert the Mov to the timelines but that is as far as I could get, in replicating the settings I was unable to do that.
Show Messages did not appear to match the project properties, to be expected as we cannot set Mov types for Project Properties.
I could not create another profile either by copying or trying to match the original Mov properties, I could match the 4096 x 2160 by using User Defined sizes but no options to use those as a pre-set profile, manually setting 106Mb was a no no.

As for 4K Mov video files, Video Studio does not fully support this format, In this day and age it probably should, I believe Corel should address this issue.

Workround…………
A trick to re-name the Mov file to use MP4 extension did work and now show messages appeared showing these details, similar details as to MediaInfo

MPEG-4 Files
Frame-based
48000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo
However Project Properties DID NOT retain the higher data rate 106Mb but reverted to 40Mb ish

I was also able to render a new MP4 using Same as First Clip and that option did replicate the original properties using 106Mb.

My google findings seemed that 10 bit had to be Mov, not sure if Mpeg4 supports 10bit
Hey Trevor.....how did you re-name the Mov file to use the MP4 extension?
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

Ken Berry wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:17 am
Yes. It is rather strange since Austin is normally one of the more reliable technical people at Corel...

If you want, you could also send us a small 10 bit sample via Dropbox...
Can I just add that, for some inexplicable reason, I am unable to select 24 frames per second for the project. The closest I can select from the drop down menu is 23.98, which seems an odd number. I also can not quite set the properties as you do.

I am clicking on Share, then on CUSTOM, then on the drop down menu: MPEG-4 Files (*mp4). I am then clicking on the little OPTIONS wheel, where under the Frame Rate option I am having to select 23.976 (??).

In fact, I can't seem to be able to work any means of selecting 24 frames per second, no matter HOW I try and set up the properties!
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

No. After selecting Custom, then on the dropdown menu you select "Quicktime movie files (.mov)". Then you click on that little options cogwheel, and 24 fps should show on the General tab. On the Compression tab select 'MPEG-4 Visual'. Make sure you slide the quality slider across to 100 from its preset at 50.

Mind you, while I don't recall ever seeing 23.976 in relation to 24, you would be aware that NTSC 29.97 is often shown, especially under mp4, as being 30 fps. In other words, they are merely rounding out. So in reality 24 could be more accurately 23.976, though I don't know that for sure...
Ken Berry
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

spudgun wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:08 am
Hey Trevor.....how did you re-name the Mov file to use the MP4 extension?
Windows 10 by default hides the files extension I guess a bit of extra security so we cannot rename the extension by mistake.

From any Windows Explorer folder …

Choose the View option
Then the File Name Extensions will be available to select
Now the actual file names will show the extension being used.

Right click the file for Re-name, you should see a warning message regarding this change, are you sure you want to change it? Yes to that. Job done
click image for larger view
click image for larger view
Regards Trevor
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

Ken Berry wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:17 am
No. After selecting Custom, then on the dropdown menu you select "Quicktime movie files (.mov)". Then you click on that little options cogwheel, and 24 fps should show on the General tab. On the Compression tab select 'MPEG-4 Visual'. Make sure you slide the quality slider across to 100 from its preset at 50.

Mind you, while I don't recall ever seeing 23.976 in relation to 24, you would be aware that NTSC 29.97 is often shown, especially under mp4, as being 30 fps. In other words, they are merely rounding out. So in reality 24 could be more accurately 23.976, though I don't know that for sure...
Ah.......thank you. I DID get some reasonable results at the 23.97 frame rate but not sure whether this is appropriate. I am also going to try Trevor's method of renaming the .mov file.
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

lata wrote:

Workround…………

MPEG-4 Files
Frame-based
48000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo

Trevor, what were your conclusions about rendering the footage in the 'Same as 1st clip' properties? ie: The HIGHER bit rate? Did you think its quality acceptable? I don't know whether I'm allowing paranoia to creep in now but I'm imagining a tiny bit of fuzziness.....it could just well be my tried patience! Certainly, this workaround has resolved the prompting of the message on inserting the clip problem, I just need to establish whether this is the best qualioty render available.

HUGE thanks for your advice and efforts on this, Trevor.
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

lata wrote:

Workround…………

MPEG-4 Files
Frame-based
48000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo

Trevor, have sent you a personal message, BUT, it seems to me that this renaming the clip to mp4 may be the answer........how RIDICULOUS would that be, were it the case? That a complicated piece of software such as Videostudio, with all its functions, cannot properly render footage because it says MOV at the end of its name instead of mp4???
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

spudgun, there are many ridiculous things in this 'complicated piece of software'
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

spudgun, no PM in my inbox, check your sent folder?

Can you provide a sample of a 10Bit Mov.
Regards Trevor
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

lata wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:47 am
spudgun, no PM in my inbox, check your sent folder?

Can you provide a sample of a 10Bit Mov.
Hiya Trevor,
apologies, yes; I screwed up sending the message! Have re-sent it now.

Haven't yet shot any 10 bit footage but am planning to do so over next few days.

When I informed Corel of your workaround, they responded:

"To be honest, that is always one work around I seem to forget, so my apologies on that one. We are working on a resolution to the situation, and I hope to hear back soon on the results. The moment I hear something, I will be in touch"

We can but see.

Many thanks