System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Dell Inc. 0P993J
processor: 2.27 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
ram: 4GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 320GB

Cannot find folders

Post by PRIEST »

I have not used Video Studio for a few months. Frankly, I stopped after I got the message I could not add more folders. Now I have myself in a dilemma.

I want to edit the video I created from Video Studio using its VSP file. I can get to my VSP file. I open it and it puts the video on the timeline, BUT the media folder showing is not for the pictures and videos in the video on the timeline. I had been storing my VSP files in the same folder as the pictures and videos. When when I Open Project using the VSP file, why is not the folder with it's pictures and videos showing in the Media area?

I now need to edit the VSP file. I can edit the VSP file on the timeline, but I want to add and change some of the videos and pics, and then re-do the VSP video, and create another mp4 file. How do I find and then bring the storage folder into Video Studio so I can use it again?

Thanks in advance for helping me again. Steve
gewb
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ram: 16GB
Video Card: AMD R9-270
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 24MK430
Corel programs: 2018, 2020 & 2021 Ult.

Re: Cannot find folders

Post by gewb »

Two different issues in play here but the project library folder reaching a limit is behind it.

As you found out, the database for project folders in the library has a hard limit. Reach that limit and you can't add any more to the library. That library is only a database that uses pointers - it does not actually have a folder to hold your files.

You now have a separate folder that contains your project files: vsp, images, video clips, music and sound files. This is a very sound way to organize your project(s) and is used by numerous member of this forum. So how can you go in and make changes to that project in a way you are familiar?

First, you must remove one or more projects from the project library folder. Select one and either right-click-delete or press the DELETE key. This does NOT delete to project (vsp, images, etc) from your drive, only from the library folder.

Now create the project folder you want in the library, dump all of you resources into it, open the vsp and relink.

Done. Your full project is ready to edit.
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

As you are saving all your Video, Images and Audio into one folder on your hard drive including the VSP, like gewb a good approach and good housekeeping

You then say you can open the VSP which loads the project to the timeline
As your VSP is in the same hard drive folder, your files should also be there.

OK
From the timelines or library we can right click any clip for Locate On Computer
Now you have located the storage folder
Create a new library folder to import the files from your storage folder
Regards Trevor
BJC
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: Videostudio 2018 and 2019

Post by BJC »

When you save a .vsp file it does NOT save the media library - never ever has - if you have deleted the media file library then it is gone you will have to recreate the library panel again - also when opening a .vsp file it does not open the project media file library panel, only the default or last used one
if you want to keep the media file library then you need to open a new Windows folder - in Windows not in Videostudio - then make sure you copy everything from the media library into that folder before deleting the library - then if you want to do more editing you create a new library panel and import everything from that Windows folder back into the Videostudio library
If after you saved your original project as a .vsp you then deleted the library within Videostudio then it is gone - cannot be retrieved - depending on what was in the media library you should be able to retrieve the individual clips from their original Windows folders on your computer and rebuild the library

Another option you might like to use in future - after you have saved the project as a .vsp then choose 'Create a new project' this will clear your timeline - then drag every single item from the relevant library down into the timeline - anywhere at all doesn't matter - then choose to save a project but make sure you call it "## project LIBRARY" once you have saved that you can now close Videostudio - IF you need to create that library again then open the library .vsp first - this will put all the content in the timeline which can then be slid back up into the media library
PRIEST
motherboard: Dell Inc. 0P993J
processor: 2.27 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
ram: 4GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 320GB

Post by PRIEST »

gewb, lata (trevor), and BJC,

Thank you all. Between all of your overlapping education, I have now located the files, copied them into a single folder, and ready to move on.
Thank you all - and stay heallthy. Steve
hawaiilovesart
Corel programs: videostudio 2019

Post by hawaiilovesart »

seems like u should be able to save everything automatically in one convenient folder when you click save project. too bad there is no close project option that cleans up everything for that project
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Post by tletter »

hawaiilovesart wrote: seems like u should be able to save everything automatically in one convenient folder when you click save project. too bad there is no close project option that cleans up everything for that project
Check out the Smart Package feature.
hawaiilovesart wrote: too bad there is no close project option that cleans up everything for that project
How would you like your project cleaned up? The key is to organize your project sources and components in a matter that allows a project to be "cleaned up" as you see fit.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
mohsinmajestic
operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
System_Drive: E

Post by mohsinmajestic »

same problem happened to me..it's a headache to find when you needed after some time :D
hawaiilovesart
Corel programs: videostudio 2019

Post by hawaiilovesart »

oh thanks for the smart package feature, a hidden capability. so I created that and whn I opened it there were all my bits on the time line but it did not show the thumbs and audio clips in the box at the top, only all the corel default things. seems like it should show all the files associated with my video. how to get it to show those? fortunately I had created a folder in the folder column under the + add sign so all the images were in that folder. if I delete that folder I will not be able to see those images again
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

hawaiilovesart wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:06 am
if I delete that folder I will not be able to see those images again
Yes

The clips within the library are virtual clips / thumbnails representing the files on the hard drive.

With your library folder showing - to add a file / video, Image , audio
1 / Choose the folder option with the + sign, top left - Import Media Files, browse for your file on the hard drive
2 / Right click the library folder for Import Media Files
or
3 / File menu – Import Media Files to Library
4 / Drag files from the hard drive folder and drop on your library folder

I tend to use option 2
Regards Trevor