Trimming clips

tafandi
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Corel programs: VideoStudio Ultimate 2020

Trimming clips

Post by tafandi »

Hi, I'm new to VideoStudio (was: using the free Windows MovieMaker), and I have some questions:

1. Is it possible to specify exact timing of a clip? (right now I have to drag-drop carefully.. even when using marker, I still need to drag-drop)
2. When trimming start and end: is it possible to specify the exact timing? (or must do drag-drop positioning?)
3. If I split a clip but then change my mind, is it possible to unsplit a clip? (right now I have to delete both split subclips, then re-add the original clip
4. Is there a way to arrange clips in multiple tracks in a tile/grid? For example I have 4 clips in 4 different tracks, and I want to tile them into 4 quadrants.. What's the easiest to do it (compared to doing drag-drop move and resize)

Thanks
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Re: Trimming clips

Post by Davidk »

All your issues are easily resolved.
1. trimming a clip.
drag the clip to the timeline (TL) or overlay track (OL)
select it - note the clip now surrounded by an orange border, and displayed in the preview window.
using the trimming handles - the orange triangles at the left and right hand ends of the preview line marker below the window - drag to trim the clip. You can set the trim point either by observation, or against the main timeline time time track, or by using the duration counters below the preview window - which is in minutes seconds and frames. Using the latter you can be as precise as you want to be about where the trim is made.
2. When you set preferences, you set the levels of undo allowed, the default is 10. To use them, either Edit/undo from the main menu items, or select the undo arrow in the TL toolbar.
3. Easily. The first method techniques uses the OL tracks, so select the track manager and ensure you have the needed number of tracks available (eg, for 4 clips, 4 OL tracks needed).
import your clips to the OL tracks, one per track.
Initially, displace them in time (drag) to allow you to adjust their size and position in the window.
select each clip in turn: note that the window display now includes sizing handles around the edge of the image. Using the handles, re-size to suit (if you want each image to be 25% of the window, then size them to 25%). Then select the window image and drag it to the place in the window you want it to be (for a 25% image - to one quarter of the window: top left, top right etc)
Now select the clip in each OL track, one at a time, and drag it to the time you want it to play. Correctly sized and placed, you can have each clip playing at the same time in different parts of the window.
The second method uses split screens.
select the 4up split screen template and drag it to the timeline. (library, templates icon, after the update finishes, choose split screen)
either - drag your preferred clips one at a time to the place holders in that vsp template; OR select each split item in the vsp, rt-click and choose to replace the clip, use the navigation panel to find the one you want, select it and click OK.
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

Hi tafandi
And welcome to the forums

You have asked a few questions here
Have a look at this web page that shows how to use the Mark-in Mark out options along with the scissors (keyboard S) will split / cut the clip.
http://lata.me.uk/corel/trimbar/trim_bar.htm

I do not understand question 1?
Question 2 as David, using the digital clock is possibly the most accurate way to set the cursor position, keyboard F and D will move the cursor frame by frame

Question 3 – yes by using the Mark-in F3 and Mark – Out F4 we can not only remove frames but show any that have been removed, effectively repairing the cut
When we cut a clip into two, if we delete the second section we can then repair the first by moving the cursor far right by using the navigation buttons End, then F4 will show all frames.

Question 4
Like David -- Split Screen templates are one way to create the effect, once done hit the OK button to return to the timelines, You can replace clips by using Drag and Drop + CTRL key
Customise Motion applied to each clip can also be effective.

You do not show which version of Video Studio you are using, can you please update your profile to show your VS version, cheers
Regards Trevor
tafandi
Corel programs: VideoStudio Ultimate 2020

Post by tafandi »

I'm using VideoStudio Ultimate 2020

Thanks for your answers gentlemen. I'll study those.