ram: 8GB
Video Card: MSi GeForce GT710
sound_card: Realtek ALC887 onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 10TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips BDM3201FD 32" + Benq G2400WD 24"
Corel programs: VS11.5 VS-X9

X9 Mono Audio(Voice) Track

Post by Old Grey »

I have a mono mic that only puts 1 channel on the voice track, ie, left, so sound only comes out of 1 speaker. Is there a way to set audio tracks to mono so the sound comes out of both speakers.

In Sound Mixer/Attribute you can set duplicate Audio Channel, but that is only in post, and per sound file. It's too hard to individually set 200 sound files to duplicate Audio Channel after I've recorded them, so is there a trick that I'm not seeing where you can get X9 to duplicate the channel while it's being recorded.
lata
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Re: X9 Mono Audio(Voice) Track

Post by lata »

Unfortunately no, I believe the channels are part of your windows and as you only have a mono mic that is what Video Studio will pick up.
I do not know of any way to change that to 2 channel unless you can plugin a splitter cable to input the mono on both channels.

As you mentioned after recording the voice we can duplicate channels on the recordings, if we do that for the first clip, then right click for Copy Attributes
Shift and click the remaining sound clips to select all, a Right Click for Paste Attributes should set duplicate channels to all
Regards Trevor
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

Did you record the audio in X9 or in sound program (the proper way)?
Old Grey
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE
processor: i7 4770

Post by Old Grey »

"Copy Attributes", that sounds like a plan - opps didn't know it was there, lol -, as one by one would've been a killer.

I bought an old 2007 Tascam US-122 XLR to USB pre-amp/mixer to see if a quality old mixer would hiss less than my new cheap ebay TU04 mixer - yes it does -. The reviews said it has a mono button that sums the channels, but mine sums them on every everything but the USB - doh -. I did a couple of hours of chasing to see if this was a fault in my unit or the way it's supposed to work, but it seams that it works that way. More searching and their answer was use a Y- splitter XLR cable, so I have that on order. The US-122 was so old that I had to use XP/Vista drivers in compatibility mode to get it to work on Win7 - lol -.
asik1 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:09 pm
Did you record the audio in X9 or in sound program (the proper way)?

I was doing it in OBS, and it has mono channels, but it ended up being a too slow work-flow as I nearly always had to delete the sound and do voice-overs after anyway. I have tinnitus and I really notice volumes going up and down - I don't have a normal ear's auto volume levelling -, and I can get the volumes very consistent in post. Maybe it's the cheap equipment I'm using, ie, no $, but basically it's more controllable. Also I don't use a script and make it up on the fly, and most times I change the wording.
Old Grey
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE
processor: i7 4770

Post by Old Grey »

If anyone is interested :D. I tried a Y-splitter XLR cable for stereo, but it's not as good as mono.

A single mono XLR cable to the right channel at 75% gain is fine, ie low hiss and decent volume. A single mono XLR cable to the left channel at 75% gain is also fine. But if I plug in a Y-splitter XLR cable for stereo with the same 75% volume, it seams to double the hiss and reduce the volume. It seams like the resistance of the condenser mic is paralleled when connected to both channels making the mic less sensitive, or it's halving the 48V phantom power so the mic isn't being powered fully. It just sounds better mono with X9 Duplicate Audio Channel.