ram: 32GB
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 620 and Nvidia GeForce 940M
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Laptop display, 15 inch, 4K resolution
Corel programs: VideoStudio Ultimate 2020

Extremely poor quality in Instant Preview for VideoStudio 2020

Post by hanness »

I'm brand new to VideoStudio, so what I'm describing below is literally my very first day with the product.

I have video that is simply a capture of activity on a Windows desktop. The screen being captured was 3840 x 2160 (4k) resolution, but the video was captured at 1/4 of that resolution (1920 x 1080). The captured video is a very good quality .MP4 video.

When that video was brought into VideoStudio 2020 and I attempt to view it in the preview Window either as just that clip alone or as the entire project, the quality of the video is amazingly horrible. It's blurry to the point where text on the screen is practically unreadable.

You may be thinking that this problem may be caused by my computer not having sufficient processing power for the preview, but I don't believe this to be the case. I have another program (TechSmith Camtasia) that is specifically geared toward capturing the desktop and building videos based upon these video captures. I can take the exact same capture file that previews so poorly in VideoStudio, and it will preview beautifully in Camtasia. In fact the preview looks basically as good as the captured video.

I have tried my previews both with and without Smart Proxy enabled. HD Preview is enabled, but even without it quality is horrible. I have tried both with and without hardware acceleration enabled. None of these things seem to help. It also makes no difference whether the original video is captured using VideoStudio itself or some other program.

Note that final reders look just fine, it's the previews that are so horrible. I'm not expecting a preview to be perfect, but the video needs to at be recognizable.

Anyone have any suggestions for how I might get better Instant Previews in VideoStudio?
hanness
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: HP Spectre x360 15-BL012DX Laptop
processor: i7-6500U
ram: 32GB
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 620 and Nvidia GeForce 940M
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Laptop display, 15 inch, 4K resolution
Corel programs: VideoStudio Ultimate 2020

Re: Extremely poor quality in Instant Preview for VideoStudio 2020

Post by hanness »

One note to add: If I scrub through the video in the timeline the quality of the video is MUCH better than when playing the preview. So, clearly, my system is more than capable of displaying the video just fine. The quality is only horrendous when perform an Instant Preview.