fingerbreaker
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Smart package crashes

Post by fingerbreaker »

VS20
Windows 10 64 bit

Getting a laptop and plan to work on VS projects back and forth pc/laptop, so I have familiarized myself with the Smart package function. I did a test run with the project and when I try to open the smart packaged VSP, VS crashes. It starts to load the clips and then after a few seconds, window be gone. What steps can I take to troubleshoot this? It's a relatively complex project with lots of clips and effects. I don't have the laptop in my possession, so this is happening on the same pc that runs the original project just fine.

Thanks!
FB
Pepi
motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 1
processor: Intel i7-7700K
ram: 32GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2020; PaintShopPro 2019

Re: Smart package crashes

Post by Pepi »

At first you need to see if some of the clips are causing it. So make a test copy from your .vso file into different folder and then try to open it. It should give you several "relink" issues, but skip all of them. If your project opens correctly (without clips), then some of the clip is causing the problem. And that should be relative easy to find. Start copying clips to same folder with .vso and see when you are facing the issue again.

If the problem is .VSO itself, that is harder part then. Are you sure that it is not saved with VS2019 version? It would be nice if Corel sometime share what is the configuration which enabled logging for opening the project. From there you should be able to see how far the process has went and perhaps get idea what went wrong.

Have you tested uninstall / reinstall steps as well?
--
Don't Panic
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio: 5 old versions + 2021

Post by Davidk »

I did this weekly for 8 years in a video class. And I do note quite a bit of basic detail missing from your query, like the VS version you are using, what you are smart packaging to?

Using smart package (SP) between PC's is usually done via a usb drive one PC which is the target of the package (a folder with all the project vsp files in it), and when done is that usb drive is in turn is plugged into a slot on the target PC. When you create the SP make sure you tick the box to package the vsp and all the content, being specific about which folder on the usb drive you package to. Generally, vsp content is all over the originating PC - wherever you have it. But this SP version of the vsp is not the same as the original, in that it has all the content pointers adjusted so that the project will run from that usb folder.
Plugged in to the target PC, select the vsp in the packaged folder to run. Your brief description suggests you've done this. but there are some unstated requirements;
- is the package on the target PC being run on the same version of VS as it was created with? Issues with this are that VS is backwards compatible, but not the reverse. so if the package is made with an older VS - eg, X8 - and you try to run it on a later version eg X9, it will work. But not the reverse - early versions will nor run material from a later version.
- does the packaged vsp contain clips for which proxy files were created on the originating PC? If so, those proxy files have been omitted from the package - VS doesn't include them in a SP function - and they would have to be manually re-created from the package on the target PC.
- a usb drive can be slow in data transfer when running the package, which can cause issues like stalling video. If your hardware on both origin and target PC allows, use an SD card as the transfer medium. packaging to it via usb isn't a great problem, but reading from it via usb can be. A PC with a built in SD slot very preferable - the on-board bus for such transfers is much faster than that for usb.

I've attached a handout on this topic I used in class FYI. Problem diagnostics:
- package to a location on the originating PC first, and try to run the packaged vsp using the version of VS it was made with.
- repeat the 1st step with a removable drive on the originating PC. Again, run the package from the packaged VSP.
Both of these steps should work, and you have benchmark for any problems with the target PC. If they don't work there is something wrong with your package process.
- transfer the removable medium with the packaged folder to the target PC, and repeat step 1. It should load OK, but if you are using clips needing proxy files, the video may be jerky of stalling.
- if things don't work at this stage, try to capture what is happening (print screen key, save the clipboard to a jpg file using paint or similar), and post here.
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

Thank you for the replies, I'll try running with no clips to see if one or more is the culprit. I assume "vso" is a typo for "vsp". I indicated in my post that I'm using VS20 and that I have only yet tried to open the SP on the original pc as a test run. Incidentally the project was originally created in an earlier version but I've been editing it in VS20 for a while now (and the SP was created in VS20). So it sounds like it's probably a troublesome clip causing this. Unfortunately, there are literally hundreds of clips in this project so I've got my work cut out for me to narrow it down but I'll use some strategery for that.

I'm not sure how I would determine if "the packaged vsp contain clips for which proxy files were created on the originating PC". Or if there are how would I know which ones and replace them?

Thank you!
FB
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

Okay, so I'll describe what I just tried and I'll add more detail in case it's relevant. The original project file is on a USB hard drive F:. It opens fine on the pc. The SP was created in a folder on a different USB hard drive E:. That folder then contained the SP vsp and all of the clips (or at least a whole bunch of clips). Again, the SP vsp doesn't open as described before from that state (on the pc - I don't even have the laptop yet). I then moved all of the clips out of that folder into a different one. Same result, the project starts to look for clips but it doesn't even give me a "re-link" error, it just crashes in exactly the same way (as far as I can tell). I then moved the SP vsp to C: (leaving all the clips in exile on E: in fact I disconnected E:) and tried to run it there with the exact same result.

Here is a video showing the loading/crashing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbsj0kwodmeuf ... 7.mp4?dl=0.

Does this suggest there could be smart proxy files involved per Davidk's post? Or, somethign else?
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

Small update: I checked the original project for smart proxy files (I never intentionally use this so I don't know much about it and didn't know if it's something that is done automatically). Smart Proxy is not enabled and the Smart Proxy File Manager does not show any files there, so I presume that means the problem is not related to the existence of proxy files. Let me know if that sounds like a reasonable conclusion.

Now I'm literally going through all 287 clips, finding the locations and moving to a common folder on the USB drive (you could say I'm making a "dumb package"). This will only take me 5 months, so if you have any other ideas, I will gladly take them :)

-FB
Davidk

Post by Davidk »

A clip having a proxy file will show a small 'keyboard' icon in the project file TL thumbnail of the clip. And that proxy file will show in the smart proxy file manager with the same name but a filetype of .upx. You can also find it using windows explorer and seek the drive/folder you specified in settings/preferences/performance tab, the proxy file folder location.
So, from your description, you are not using clips that cross the resolution boundary in that proxy file setting ("create proxy file when video size is above" and there's a drop down list of resolution choices. The default is standard definition video) that leads to a smart proxy file being created.

And that dropbox clip of the smart package file loading, running, is telling. The package vsp file seems to have loaded Ok, no errors, but when it comes to displaying the package vsp in the TL, the 1st clip (a map) fails after a few seconds; VS crash. So, perhaps we should focus on the clip rather than smart package. Some suggestions:
1. does the original project file run OK, specifically all of that map clip plays correctly?
2. does the map clip play separately in say media player or VLC?
3. in the original vsp click on the map clip and get its properties; screenshot and post here.
4. copy the project file for test purposes, and then in the copy/test file delete that map clip. Smart package the result to a test location on the source machine and confirm that the packaged vsp performs either correctly, or still fails.
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

fingerbreaker

Like David I would suspect a problem with a clip or clips within the Project
Does the Smart Package fail at the same point?

We can see the progress parsing the files, the first I believe is loading the top timeline, then the bar shows again to fail, this is think is loading the overlay track, we can see the name of the clip just prior to the crash as VIDEO00044-612.mp4
It also seems to load that clip several times as though the original clip have been split into smaller sections.?
It may not be this particular clip but will be in the right direction on the timeline.

Open the original project and locate that video clip, what effects have been applied

Have you applied any filters to these clips, Reverse Video , Speed Timelapse any FX filters.
I recall one poster using an intro WMV that showed the stage curtains opening, however this was used in the ending, so reverse video was applied, then another effect added, all worked ok till we tried to render the project.
So with that in mind if you render the original project does that complete ok?

I assume you have tried to create the Smart Package again.

Re-link requests, I would not expect that you will get any of these as the clips are not lost, just that we suspect one clip being the culprit.
Regards Trevor
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

I won't have a chance to work on this until later in the day, so a couple of quick questions just to make sure I understand what you are saying.

Davidk talks about a "map clip". Is that shorthand for mp4 clip?

Yes that 612.mp4 file is likely split into small sections with variable speed and other effects (I'll check later specifically). Does that imply that I may have to remove some of those effects when doing the smart package?

Just to be clear, why wouldn't there be relinking errors if none of the clips are actually being loaded? The clips were all re-homed for the experiment on an unconnected drive.

Okay, I will further investigate based on your feedback later. Thank you again.

-FB
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi FB
David talks about “Map Clip”, I think a bit of confusion as when the program crashes the next view is of a USA map, I do not think that has anything to do with the crash, its just an image left over after the program disappears from the desktop. I’m sure David will confirm once he views the video again.

Some effects have been know to affect the project, as I said I recall one instance of Speed and reverse Video but cannot be exactly sure of all details.
To fix that particular problem we rendered the offending clips to a new video file to replace the existing files, it was a little complex as Pal and NTSC frame rates played their part.

I just recognised the fact that the 612.mp4 had been split which stirred memories, now you seem to confirm that cuts have been made and possibly Speed and other effects may have been used.
I would investigate these clips and what effects have been applied, Difficult to suggest what to do without having hands on.

As for re-link, there will be no problem as all clips are in their rightful place so loading the VSP should complete without any reason to re-link. The problem is that opening the project is failing because of problem clip / s and not their location on the hard drive.
Regards Trevor
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

Oh, duh - I just threw that map on to hide my desktop so you couldn't see my evil plans to take over the world when the window closed! Ok, gotcha on rendering offending clips, etc. I'll see what we're dealing with later.

I do have to try and clarify one more time - there ARE NO CLIPS TO LOAD. I removed all of the clips. They are not available for the vsp to access. It might look like they are loading, but they can't be because they were all MOVED to a different drive that is not even connected to the pc. I'm probably missing something but I just wanted to be sure you understood that point. Regardless, I'll report back what I find out about **612.mp4!

Thanks,
FB
Davidk

Post by Davidk »

I am obviously missing something here . .
Clicking the dropbox link, I get the dropbox login screen, cancel that. Then there is the captured video with the play arrow, clicked the arrow. The project file seems to load - the progress bar and file names run, then when it gets to the end I see an image (map) of the USA, briefly, and the vsp terminates.
So, comments.
1. I don't see any indication of an overlay track load: it just seems that the progress bar gets to the end, a map image appears and that's it --> the end.
2. I don't understand FB's comments about removing content. If the package has been made correctly, there is a message to that effect. And if he is running the vsp within that packaged folder then it will load. without content issues. If he has correctly made the package and then deleted all the content files from the package folder - why???? trying to open that package vsp will give an error message rather than a progress bar.
3. re the clip file that seems to have cuts, filters et al applied. In your test copy of the vsp, just delete the cuts and filters, leave the clip as original, and package the resulting vsp to a folder. Then without doing anything else to that package folder,
a. click on new project from the file menu - which should clean out any residual project details.
b. click on open project from the file menu, and navigate to the package folder. Select the packaged vsp, and OK.

Does the packaged project run?
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

David

1 / opening any project first starts by parsing the content ( I think that’s the correct description) , several progress bars may show, the first always seems to be location clips on the top track, once that bar has completed a second bar may show which will targets the overlay track, followed by other bars for each timeline, at least that’s my impression of the way the project is loaded, in order from top to bottom.
So the second bar I was indicated to me as loading the overlay track.
2 / there was no reason for FB to remove the content of the Smart Package, although as a test may have forced the project to load giving a Re-link, although the program crashes before completing the parsing
3 / cut clip, to the end of the progress bar showed the same clip being parsed, indicated to me that the same file was being used several times, triggering a thought of multiple filters being used, the program then crashes
So the cut clip is a starting point, and as mentioned experienced similar crashes using Speed and Reverse video.

I wait for FB’s feedback on the **612.mpg clips.
Without hands on it’s a bit of an educated guess and trying to workout what could be going on.
Regards Trevor
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

I apologize, I still haven't had an opportunity to work on this further so no progress there but since I've confused Davidk I'll try to clear things up in the meantime:

The dropbox video shows the project trying to load with no clips. I created this scenario to try out pepi's suggestion to first determine if the problem is with one of the clips or something else. And sure enough, even without any clips, it crashes before even getting to the point where I would get re-link error pop-ups. In fact, as I said before VS crashes in the same way whether or not the clips are there. Which is why I'm a little unconfident that the trouble lies with this *612.mp4 file - if that were somehow the root cause, why does VS crash even when it's not even there to load? But I will look at it and experiment with removing effects, etc. and repackaging and report back.

Ignore the map. That's just on my desktop and becomes visible after VS crashes (and closes).

-FB
Davidk

Post by Davidk »

Following on from the comments . . it seems the dropbox clip is a screen capture of the packaged vsp breaking towards/at the end of the parsing phase, and VS crashing to the desktop wallpaper.
Please confirm.
Also, it's odd that play/render of a project would be OK and the smart package of the same file fail in some way. Confirm that:
1. the project actually runs in edit mode right thru without error.
2. it renders OK with 'same as project settings' set (no errors), and plays Ok say in VLC.
What these steps will do is isolate the cause to the smart package function itself for that project file.
and then
3. Is this a general issue, or only for one project?
Does smart package in the version of VS and windows you are using work for any other project file - not the same vsp, ideally either one you made previously that worked. If you have one available, can you confirm that a new smart package of that vsp still functions normally.

Assuming that SP for the specific vsp is isolated as the issue, finding the cause is fiddly: change the test vsp by deleting clips, repackage it, try to run it from the package. In deleting items from the test vsp before packaging: start at the end, since the parsing in phase 1 seems to go for a while. I interpret that to mean the issue whatever it is, is towards the end of the project file. once you've found the clip that seems to be the cause, delete it and re-package the resulting vsp. Does the project run?

Once the clip is isolated, post it's properties here for review.