System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: ASUS Laptop
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 17 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS
Corel programs: Video Studio 2021, PaintShopPro 2021

Microphone selection in VS 2020 voiceover

Post by Cyberherbalist »

While I am editing a project I am wanting to add a voiceover. So I click on the Record/Capture Option and select Voiceover. I have a Blue Yeti microphone plugged in and active, yet the voiceover seems to be taking its input from the laptop's internal microphone, because shouting into the Blue Yeti doesn't produce much input. Yet when I talk into the laptop's internal microphone the sound comes through just fine. If I turn off the Yeti, the sound doesn't change in level -- if I talk into the laptop mic it works, though.

How do I get VS2020 to use the Blue Yeti's input? Or, for that matter, how about getting it to use my headphone mic? This is actually a new problem, because I've used this Blue Yeti microphone with VS2020 before. I've looked all over the Settings or Preferences. No luck.

I am running VS 2020 Ultimate on a Windows 10 laptop.
-------------------
See my YouTubeChannel, A Yank in Sussex
RobertOZ
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A86 1.04E01
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 5770
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 32" IPS LED (Main) HP 23fi IPS LED
Corel programs: VSX4-X10 VS 2018/2019/2020 & MS 3D

Re: Microphone selection in VS 2020 voiceover

Post by RobertOZ »

When MultiCam Capture Lite opens, under Settings open Audio Source, in mine I have the choice of Disabled, my headset, Corel Audio recorder and 3 system sources, they all appear to work OK
Dell 7567,Win 10(2004) i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5, drives, 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Samsung 28" 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor
PS24 Ultimate, PSP 2020, PhotoMirage, Painter 2020, VS 2018 Ult, VS2021 Ult MultiCam Capture XL
Davidk
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Post by Davidk »

Usually, this sort of problem is not VS but windows. VS finds the sound sources from windows, and whenever I have had microphone issues with VS, the fix came with selections in the windows sound pages - select the correct source, test it, make sure it's 'available' using windows. The one exception was with a new microphone - turn it on was the vendors advice, and there it was - an on/off switch that the doco did not mention in a handy place for accidents. Check that on your mic: any mic should test and work with windows sound test pages.
THEN open VS and try to use that device with voiceover.
Cyberherbalist

Post by Cyberherbalist »

RobertOZ wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:31 am
When MultiCam Capture Lite opens, under Settings open Audio Source, in mine I have the choice of Disabled, my headset, Corel Audio recorder and 3 system sources, they all appear to work OK
Thanks for that, but I wasn't using Multicam -- just the normal editing window. However, I followed your advice and found that there was indeed a choice of microphones in the audio source settings. I set it to the Blue Yeti, but going back to the normal editing, VS was still pulling voiceover from the built-in mic.
-------------------
Cyberherbalist

Post by Cyberherbalist »

Davidk wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 am
Usually, this sort of problem is not VS but windows. VS finds the sound sources from windows, and whenever I have had microphone issues with VS, the fix came with selections in the windows sound pages - select the correct source, test it, make sure it's 'available' using windows. The one exception was with a new microphone - turn it on was the vendors advice, and there it was - an on/off switch that the doco did not mention in a handy place for accidents. Check that on your mic: any mic should test and work with windows sound test pages.
THEN open VS and try to use that device with voiceover.
Yes, this worked. But not from PC Settings. That showed the Yeti, but there was no selection available to make it the default. However, when I went to ye olde Control Panel and looked under Sound, I found that there was a way to make the Yeti the default. And when I tried the voiceover panel again, this time it was pulling audio input from the Yeti.

I do wonder why I'd never had that trouble before. Oh, well.

Thanks!
-------------------
Davidk

Post by Davidk »

Yes. Well, the olde windows control panel circa windows7 does have capability that MS seems determined to wipe out by including parts of it (System? maybe others) in that horrible new settings thing windows 10 has. MS really hasn't recognised that adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Their geeks - probaly just out of university and think anything new aka different is cool, manage to screw it up. Consistently.
Cyberherbalist

Post by Cyberherbalist »

Davidk wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:52 am
Yes. Well, the olde windows control panel circa windows7 does have capability that MS seems determined to wipe out by including parts of it (System? maybe others) in that horrible new settings thing windows 10 has. MS really hasn't recognised that adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Their geeks - probaly just out of university and think anything new aka different is cool, manage to screw it up. Consistently.
Yes, well, it's something that doesn't just infect Microsoft! As a retired software developer, I can attest that some of us just don't get the idea that users prefer a degree of continuity, and as you say, what isn't broke shouldn't be fixed. Part of the problem is that new developers coming on board get ideas on how to do things "better" and when they get the opportunity they try to carry out their visions! People get promoted, change jobs, retire, and die, and the new ones want to make their own marks.
-------------------
Davidk

Post by Davidk »

It's fairly widespread phenomenon. Engineers of all sorts also get infected. Especially true of new managerial staff who seem to feel that re-organising will fix any issues that exist. Always when there's no budget for it, so something else - usually op support - pays. But software devs are the ones we see most of here.