ram: 64 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus 27"
Corel programs: Corel X8; VideoStudio X10, PhotoImpact

Want to divide existing slide show into individual frames

Post by catwoman07076 »

I am not finding how to do this anywhere. I have been sent a slide show that a friend made on a simple online editor that allowed a 10 second length as its longest, per slide. He has a soundtrack of music to it, and the final slide has to coincide with applause on the audio track. At the moment it does, but some slides are boringly long, because little text is on them, while others can't be read in the ten seconds given. So I have told him I could fix this easily, but I find I can't!

He created it with text on a Word document, and I don't know whether those docs were turned into jpgs first or not, but the thing is, VideoStudio x10 isn't showing me slides. I think I need to divide it into individual images first. Since each slide is 10 seconds, I went to Multi-trim and changed the 15 sec default to 10 seconds, and hit the arrows to have it land exactly between the two slides! So I gave it an "In" mark, and hit the arrows again and landed between the next slide, so I hit the "out" mark, and 10 more secs for "in" and 10 more for "out," etc. When I was done, and said so, I found I didn't have it divided equally between all slides, in fact I had only the segments I had marked "in" and "out," leaving the in-between ones no longer part of the slide show!

So I undid it all, and began again, this time attempting to put an "In" mark right after having placed an "Out" mark, and VS wouldn't let me do that!

So my question is, how can I make easy to find ten-second spaced cuts throughout this slide show, so that they can all be separate pieces, so that I may reduce the length of time some of the slides are on the screen, and lengthen those that need more time, and then end up with the applause on the sound track happening exactly on the final slide?

I have already tried doing it by using the scissor tool, but it's finding those ten-second spots that is hard without the "Multi-trim" window, and I still haven't found my way about always seeming to have what came before the first cut be GONE out of the film you want to view! I am sure there has to be a simpler way to accomplish this that trying to find that ten-second spot with a scrubber!

Looking eagerly forward to your answers!

Gigi
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Re: Want to divide existing slide show into individual frames

Post by asik1 »

Hi GiGi, the trimer is cumbersome for that task. you better split the long clip on the time line using the S key.
Just add cue points, jump to them and split. in 2 minutes your done.
cue points.jpg
Pepi
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 1
processor: Intel i7-7700K
ram: 32GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2020; PaintShopPro 2019

Post by Pepi »

Gigi,
If you like to save the slides from word document, have you tried to right click the image and select the "save image".
--
Don't Panic
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

Hi Gigi
You have quite a lot of work in front of you, you really need to create the slide show from scratch
At the moment you seem to say that all images are 10 seconds and that you wish to change some of those image durations, some longer and some shorter, I assume the majority of images being the same duration.
Then you need to retain the overall duration to match the audio.
You could use the scissors to cut the slide show into 10 second sections, by the way have transitions been used.

I think a better option is to take a snap-shot of the images, one snapshot for each image, a long job, how many images are we talking about?
Import those to the timeline at say 10 seconds, then you can adjust the durations of some of the images longer or shorter

First if you modify the project settings to use a higher frame rate, 1920 x 1080, when you take the snapshot that size will be used to create the image.
And of course create a folder to save the images to, set that folder as your working folder.

OK having typed the above, maybe this is a better option.
To use the scissors ( S key) cutting the image/video into 3, two cuts
Lets say the images are 9 seconds, make a cut at 3 and 6 seconds, approx., does not need to be accurate, just avoid any transitions, that leaves a middle clip at 3 seconds which can be increased or decreased in length.
Then move on to the next image candidate that needs adjusting.

Post Updated
Ok another option to increase the duration.
Position cursor in the middle of the image.
Edit menu for Freeze Frame, choose the image duration, this will cut the video then add an image, saved to the working folder.
( set the default image duration from F6 Preferences – edit tab)

To reduce the image duration, 2 cuts at 1 second apart then delete the clip will reduce by 1 second
Or 1 cut, select clip and drag trim handles
Regards Trevor
catwoman07076
processor: Intel Core i7 6950X

Post by catwoman07076 »

Wow, first opportunity to get back to see if there are any answers, and I'm overwhelmed! Three great answers for me to try!

asik1 -- The adding of the cue points -- something unknown to me. Sounds like that is how I can find that 10 sec mark and jump to it, as the multi-trim promised. From my extremely limited knowledge base, however, the only way I can add a cue point (once I know how to do that) is by using the scrubber to try to get to the next 10 sec spot, and that is what's so difficult! Can you tell me how to get to every 10 sec spot in the slide show? Then, yes, I could make all the cuts I need! I also didn't understand the image you sent -- I don't know what the "Chapter Point Manager" is, and how to use it. The arrows point to things you're trying to tell me about, but they don't say enough to me to let me know what they will do for me.
{Note -- I haven't done serious film editing since it was done using celluloid film on a 35 mm Moviola or Steenbeck flat-bed editing machine, using china markers and tape splices, in NYC. Yes, very old school. I did get quite good on Windows' OLD Moviemaker -- it was simple and limited and so easy to learn!

Pepi -- That is a simply wonderful logical move! It had occurred to me to do screen prints and then cut the image out, but your way saves several steps and thus, makes it much more desireable!

Iata -- Transitions have not been used. I assume my friend's online free editor was exceptionally limited! But yes, wanting to cut them into 10 sec clips was exactly what I first wanted to do. Then I could see every image (right now I only see the first one for the entire film strip), and then I could assign different amounts of time for each. You also suggest just redoing the slide show entirely, and I think that's sounding like the best choice.

My hope was to have each image as a separate 10 second clip so as to be able to see them, and work on them (change the timing). Taking an snapshot of each image will do that for me, so it's the best way to go. It's interesting (only because it might mean there is not such thing) that no one had a way to jump ahead by 10-second leaps, and land on an exact spot between two slides, the way the multi-trim feature could! It really isn't possible on the timeline? I may no longer be considering using that for this project, but I can't imagine it wouldn't make some other jobs easier, to know how to do that. The scrubber has too many parts of a second to worry about!

Thank you all for your interest, and for taking the time to help me! You all contributed to my understanding! I will definitely be back when I run into other, neophyte, issues!

Gigi
gewb
motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ram: 16GB
Video Card: AMD R9-270
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 24MK430
Corel programs: X10.5 Ult., 2018 & 2020 Ult.

Post by gewb »

STOP THE PRESSES -

The above suggestions are great (and will work!) but each left off the VERY FIRST step:

>>> Separate the sound track and save just that track before anything else <<<
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

GIGI, for your task cue points and chapter points are the same.
It was 35 years ago since I last used a Steenbeck and that was for only very short time as I went to video and not to celluloid.
I thought I was clear with those arrows,
Once you open the cues manger just add them manually at 10,20,30 sec and so on
Than "go to" the one you want and S (split)

**Another way is to Jump- to TC, if you click the time under the preview.
TC.jpg
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Gigi
I do not understand why you seem to think selecting each video section / image is difficult to do, its just a matter of dragging the cursor along the timeline. We can change the digital clock by 10 or add the green markers, but surely that will take longer than a simple mouse drag.
I am wondering just what you see when viewing the timelines, does the video clip show all frames in full or do you see a green section showing the clips file name.
Go to F6 Settings - Preferences – Edit tab and change the Display Clip Mode to Thumbnail Only
Back viewing the timelines you should now see the images along the timelines, to the right are zoom options to increase or decrease the timeline view. Right click the small clock for “zoom to” setting to 4 seconds seems good to me.
I can now easily drag along the timelines or a single click at the top of the timelines.
Anywhere in the middle to take a snapshot – Edit Menu – Take a snapshot
Or simply cut the video in 2 places to delete a section will reduce that image duration
Or Freeze Frame will cut and add an image to increase the duration.

You should remember you are working with a video file not a still image but you will have to add an image to increase the video length. Clear as mud
Should you take a snapshot of every section, then you can start new project adding all images / snapshots to the timeline to create a new slide show.
Either way its quite a lot of work.
So how many images need their durations adjusting, if a lot then a new slide show may be on the cards, but if a few then tweaking the existing Slide Show may be sufficient
click image for larger view
click image for larger view
Regards Trevor
catwoman07076

Post by catwoman07076 »

gewg - I did always separate the sound track first, but when using multi-trim, VS doesn't let you. Not there, anyway. Probably meant for just shorter clips? However, since I won't be using the multi-trim feature, I can separate it again. Thank you for having paid attention to that very important task to achieve my goal!

asik1 - Good to know there's a Cues Manager! Glad someone else remembers the analog days of film editing!

Iata - I am sure you are WAY more familiar with the program than I am, which is why you can't imagine anything would be difficult to do. When I take the scrubber to drag along the timeline, landing on exactly 10 seconds IS hard, because each second is also divided into a 100 milliseconds (or whatever a 100th part is called). I wanted to be able to specify "10 seconds" somewhere, and click an arrow multiple times to land at each 10 sec interval spot. I just don't know anything about even adding green markers! I don't know what they are for. I have owned CorelDraw since version 3 on Windows 3 for years (joined here before all of you), but haven't had the time to play with video because I was working designing and laying out up to 20,000 sq ft corporate facilites for thirty years. Am very familiar with AutoCAD and SketchUp. So I am working with a, for me, brand new version of VideoStudio x10 (have had a couple before that, but not done much with them), so I really AM new to this (but not new to concepts in film editing). I would really love to be pointed to a good course (not short tutorials showing only one thing), with an instructor one can ask questions!

My video -- the entire slide show -- does not show anything but the first frame. The rest of the timeline is solid green. This is why I wanted to cut it into parts, so that I can see each slide! That would be a good beginning! I have made other slide shows with this product (only on VS x9), so when beginning with my own photos, I was fine, even if things took longer for me. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqUYoVvHIkM )

Settings > Preferences > General tab (not edit) had the Display Clip Mode that I could change to Thumbnails only. That was FANTASTIC! One of those things I didn't know about -- one of many!

It looks like from here I'll be able to do this. Thank you all for your help, and your patience with me!

Gigi
canuck
operating_system: Windows 8.1

Post by canuck »

The time as shown in the Preview window has the format hh:mm:ss:ff where ff indicates the number of frames per second not milliseconds.
How many slides are in the slideshow (which is actually a video)?
catwoman07076

Post by catwoman07076 »

Really!!!! Right after hours: minutes: seconds, they stick FRAMES??? Wow, that's not intuitive! You wouldn't think that before reading the whole manual through!
I used to do that -- I head user manuals, all directions, and learned everything before touching the object. I don't have that kind of time anymore. I'd rather be creative and productive, and unfortunately must just dive in and do my best. But boy, has asking a few questions here been enlightening! I've learned so much.

The problem with this online video editing program my friend used to make it, from Word docs(!), doesn't really say, nor lets you see. The only way I was able to see individual "frames" was when I made that change to showing Thumbnails. But I'm not sure they were frames. I couldn't cut anything or make a clip with In and Out -- attempting to select that clip didn't work -- when I thought I had selected it and hit, "Delete," the entire slide show was gone! So, the problem was with what that actual "slides" started out as (Word docs), and what it became on that editor.

I have just finished creating every slide again, on a wide slide (they were Portrait/vertical pages!), and will now replace them in the timeline, and use the music I had separated from it, earlier. I am sure I will now have what he wanted. Everything is looking better already!

Thank you, canuck!
Gigi
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

I missed that reference to millseconds, thanks canuck
The title of the post does show Frames so did not see any problems
Good to know you are making programs, I did view the video on line and noticed that crossfades and some pan and zoom has been applied, just makes it a little more tricky when selecting the frame to copy.

and the wedding in Wales, fantastic was my first thoughts
Regards Trevor