sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Re: VideoStudio 2020 became much less responsive

Post by lata »

cybernick wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:23 am
Ok. I started the adventure with support team. The standard engagement procedure started.

1- Which type of the file are you using
2- Provide msinfo32 report
3- Provide winaudit report etc.

One think a assume; can it be related about how I import media to timeline. I drag and drop from windows explorer to timeline directly? Can someone test it for me in his/her computer. Importing media in such way is very convenient for my workflow.
What problems are you specifically experiencing when importing files.
How many files are you importing in the single drag and drop.
What is the total size of the files you are importing
Regards Trevor
cybernick
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Video Card: GTX 1060
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB nvme
Corel programs: Video Studio 2020

Post by cybernick »

lata wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:36 am
cybernick wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:23 am
Ok. I started the adventure with support team. The standard engagement procedure started.

1- Which type of the file are you using
2- Provide msinfo32 report
3- Provide winaudit report etc.

One think a assume; can it be related about how I import media to timeline. I drag and drop from windows explorer to timeline directly? Can someone test it for me in his/her computer. Importing media in such way is very convenient for my workflow.
What problems are you specifically experiencing when importing files.
How many files are you importing in the single drag and drop.
What is the total size of the files you are importing
No. I am just saying that is the only thing I do in an unorthodox way. So may that be the reason of facing lag after a while?
I import one file in a time and not in big sizes. Pics are mp4s in 300-200 mb max.
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board

Post by lata »

I never referred to you doing anything in an unorthodox way, if Corel thought that drag and drop was wrong they would disable that option.
I only asked about the amount and type of video clips so I could try to replicate.
My normal procedure would be to Import to Library, then drag and drop to timelines.

OK
I tested using Mpeg4 video 1920 x 1080 9 minute clip at 900Mb.
The slight delay I experienced was different whether dragging to VS after a reboot, or dragging to an existing project.
I took a screen capture the first shows a slight delay, the second attempt used a copy and had little or no delay.

2021.01.12-12.54.zip
(2.04 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
2021.01.12-12.55.zip
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Regards Trevor
cybernick

Post by cybernick »

lata wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:18 pm
I never referred to you doing anything in an unorthodox way, if Corel thought that drag and drop was wrong they would disable that option.
I only asked about the amount and type of video clips so I could try to replicate.
My normal procedure would be to Import to Library, then drag and drop to timelines.

OK
I tested using Mpeg4 video 1920 x 1080 9 minute clip at 900Mb.
The slight delay I experienced was different whether dragging to VS after a reboot, or dragging to an existing project.
I took a screen capture the first shows a slight delay, the second attempt used a copy and had little or no delay.

2021.01.12-12.54.zip

2021.01.12-12.55.zip
Thanks for the test. But I do not mean about the delay in the import. I am talking about, after editing for a while with that method of importing I start facing lag in the interface (opening the memu, going to effect, color or blending tab etc)
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Post by tletter »

cybernick wrote:One think a assume; can it be related about how I import media to timeline. I drag and drop from windows explorer to timeline directly? Can someone test it for me in his/her computer. Importing media in such way is very convenient for my workflow.
Why do you want someone to test this basic functionality that's been in VS for years? The VS2020 user guide clearly answers your question.
erase.jpg
tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
cybernick

Post by cybernick »

That’s right. I am trying to find out a root cause for the lag. I have started to consider everything.

On the other hand do not always trust what features says. For example try to hide a media type then try to delete a thumbnail. From time to time that “standard” feature does not work correctly for the last 2-3 versions.
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi
First of all how you import your files to Video Studio will not affect the way the User Interface reacts
There may be a delay in importing files, and different methods but non should change the way the UI works.
Drag and Drop or right click for Insert Video or Import Digital Media, there are differences, but once the files are populating the timelines the import/insert job is done.

I have completed a few more tests, I have a 10 minute Mpeg4 1920 x 1080 x 15Mbps
Placed this on the top track, cut it to pieces and added transitions.
Played in clip and project mode without problems.
Navigated the User Interface selecting various tabs from the options panels applying a couple of effects, white balance etc.
No problems or delays in navigating the UI.
There is always a slight delay when moving from Edit to Share, for me a short delay, a max 1 second.
I then copied all clips from the top track to paste to overlay 1 and 2, so now increased the clips 3 fold.
Now some issues with project playback, a little slow especially over the transitions.
Reached out for help from Smart Proxy seems to have fixed that.
Continued to add FX filters, not overdoing it.
Even so what I would say is normal editing does not appear to slow down the response of the User Interface.
Yes I may have playback issues if I add multiple filters to a clip, and we do know that some filters are on the slow side.
Try FX New Blue Titler Pro 5, very slow to refresh the first time used.
However you are not giving any specific problems just seems to be normal editing, and that’s strange.

I’ll probably test again tomorrow to eat my words

Just seen your last post and don’t really understand “For example try to hide a media type then try to delete a thumbnail”
Regards Trevor
tletter

Post by tletter »

cybernick wrote:I am just saying that is the only thing I do in an unorthodox way.
cybernick wrote:I am trying to find out a root cause for the lag. I have started to consider everything.
That's great but previously you thought that using Windows Explorer to drag and drop files onto the Timeline was "an unorthodox way" to add files. There's nothing "unorthodox" about it as it has been part of VS for years.
cybernick wrote:On the other hand do not always trust what features says.
Well then you have a big job as VS has thousands of features. Without a well thought out troubleshooting approach, you're going down a rabbit hole.

Have you tried starting a new project checking the responsiveness; and then making one change at a time to the project and checking the responsiveness?

tletter
cybernick

Post by cybernick »

tletter wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:06 pm
cybernick wrote:I am just saying that is the only thing I do in an unorthodox way.
cybernick wrote:I am trying to find out a root cause for the lag. I have started to consider everything.
That's great but previously you thought that using Windows Explorer to drag and drop files onto the Timeline was "an unorthodox way" to add files. There's nothing "unorthodox" about it as it has been part of VS for years.
cybernick wrote:On the other hand do not always trust what features says.
Well then you have a big job as VS has thousands of features. Without a well thought out troubleshooting approach, you're going down a rabbit hole.

Have you tried starting a new project checking the responsiveness; and then making one change at a time to the project and checking the responsiveness?

tletter

Yes I have tried to open a new project when the lag starts. No luck. Keep having delay.
cybernick

Post by cybernick »

lata wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:55 pm
Hi
First of all how you import your files to Video Studio will not affect the way the User Interface reacts
There may be a delay in importing files, and different methods but non should change the way the UI works.
Drag and Drop or right click for Insert Video or Import Digital Media, there are differences, but once the files are populating the timelines the import/insert job is done.

I have completed a few more tests, I have a 10 minute Mpeg4 1920 x 1080 x 15Mbps
Placed this on the top track, cut it to pieces and added transitions.
Played in clip and project mode without problems.
Navigated the User Interface selecting various tabs from the options panels applying a couple of effects, white balance etc.
No problems or delays in navigating the UI.
There is always a slight delay when moving from Edit to Share, for me a short delay, a max 1 second.
I then copied all clips from the top track to paste to overlay 1 and 2, so now increased the clips 3 fold.
Now some issues with project playback, a little slow especially over the transitions.
Reached out for help from Smart Proxy seems to have fixed that.
Continued to add FX filters, not overdoing it.
Even so what I would say is normal editing does not appear to slow down the response of the User Interface.
Yes I may have playback issues if I add multiple filters to a clip, and we do know that some filters are on the slow side.
Try FX New Blue Titler Pro 5, very slow to refresh the first time used.
However you are not giving any specific problems just seems to be normal editing, and that’s strange.

I’ll probably test again tomorrow to eat my words

Just seen your last post and don’t really understand “For example try to hide a media type then try to delete a thumbnail”

Thanks for test. It seems that you face no issue. So it has nothing to do with importing the media.

The issue I am talking about thumbnail is the subject I discussed here. You were also a part of it I believe.

https://forum.corel.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67648

This is just an example of an obvious bug.
tletter

Post by tletter »

cybernick wrote:Yes I have tried to open a new project when the lag starts. No luck. Keep having delay.
You don't seem to be interested in taking a well thought out troubleshooting approach, e.g. starting a new project checking the responsiveness; and then making one change at a time to the project and checking the responsiveness. This was suggested at 5:06 pm and 7 minutes later at 5:13 pm, you dismiss that. It seems like you're more interested in dismissing approaches rather than taking the time to find the issue.

Near the start of your thread, you posted two video clips named "lag.zip" and "No lag after restart the app.zip". If you started from the "no lag" state and started making one change at a time whilst checking the responsiveness, then you might find the cause of the "lag" state. However, that might take time.
cybernick wrote:This is just an example of an obvious bug.
All software has bugs but not all bugs cause a lag in responsiveness. Why do you think that there is a connection in this case?

tletter
cybernick

Post by cybernick »

tletter wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:02 pm
cybernick wrote:Yes I have tried to open a new project when the lag starts. No luck. Keep having delay.
You don't seem to be interested in taking a well thought out troubleshooting approach, e.g. starting a new project checking the responsiveness; and then making one change at a time to the project and checking the responsiveness. This was suggested at 5:06 pm and 7 minutes later at 5:13 pm, you dismiss that. It seems like you're more interested in dismissing approaches rather than taking the time to find the issue.

Near the start of your thread, you posted two video clips named "lag.zip" and "No lag after restart the app.zip". If you started from the "no lag" state and started making one change at a time whilst checking the responsiveness, then you might find the cause of the "lag" state. However, that might take time.
cybernick wrote:This is just an example of an obvious bug.
All software has bugs but not all bugs cause a lag in responsiveness. Why do you think that there is a connection in this case?

tletter
Do not get me wrong. That has been suggested by @Pepi on Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:39 am and I am working from that day on it. Tested every aspect. And really I can not reach to a concussion. Tested every possibility but the lag really comes completely random. That's why my reply came that fast. For the last 2-3 nights I am spending time on different test. But really I did not find a pattern. Be sure I am spending more effort on this then a common user since effects my workflow seriously.

The file / project with lag and no lag is the same. No change in a project in any aspect. Actually first I record the lag and after a simple restart of the app and open the same project no lag. Really very confusing.

Coming to the bug issue. It has no relation. I just wanna say that even something is written in spec sheet it does not mean that it works in every condition. Bugs can not be avoided completely. That's why we are providing feedback to vendors. I have started thinking what I have changed in my workflow recently and this is a recent change I made in my workflow. So I wanted also to test it. That's it.

In bottom line I am still testing and be sure I will post the result if I come up this something. Even it is a silly mistake I do. After all this is the purpose of the forums. Sharing the knowledge.
cybernick

Post by cybernick »

Ok after a week back and forth I have a feedback from Corel support.

"And I would suggest you to update the driver to the latest version and then try to edit with videostudio."

I do not know which driver they are talking about but all my drivers are up to date anyway.
Just in case I switched from gamers nvidia drivers to studio drivers. I will let you know for the updates.
cybernick

Post by cybernick »

I had a latest update from Corel. They are suggesting uninstalling and installing the VS 2020 again. :)

Meanwhile I have realized when the interface became slow. After some preview of multiple WMV files the interface stars to become slower (just watch and scrub in some wmv files in the library). Can anybody test?
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

No as i do not have any WMV files in the 2020 library, some wmv clips were provided with 2019

Are these WMV files your personal videos or ones provided by the program, are they HD wmv, if so try using Smart Proxy

Corel do recommend installing K-Lite where we have problems in using HD video types, you will find details on the Corel Knowledge base
Just a thought that installing may improve things.
and if you are wondering, I do have K-lite installed with no adverse effects
Regards Trevor