VS 2020 Ultimate - Saving and reopening projects - timings incorrect

Moderator: Ken Berry

Robbo870
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

VS 2020 Ultimate - Saving and reopening projects - timings incorrect

Post by Robbo870 »

I'm experiencing a problem where the clip timings in a project that has been saved and then reopened are all wrong.

I'm working with 3x HD camera feeds and a separate audio feed and normally I sync these within Multicam. Generally speaking this does a good job, but unfortunately sometimes I forget to record audio on one of the cameras and so I then have to perform some manual syncing and overlaying on 3x video tracks, and then add the audio in. It's very time consuming.

Anyway, the project looks good and so I save it. The next time I open the project, the timings are all wrong! The clips are not playing at the correct places I previously cut or trimmed them.

Is anyone else having this issue? It does not affect every clip. I now export my work as soon as I have finished it just in case something goes wrong and I lose literally hours of work.
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Re: VS 2020 Ultimate - Saving and reopening projects - timings incorrect

Post by lata »

I do not understand why the trimmed video would go out of position after saving and opening the project
Do you have multiple copies of the VSP and maybe opening the wrong version?

Ok a few thoughts on what could go wrong
Before opening MCE drag Camera 1 video to the timelines so the message to match the video properties shows, this will set the timelines frame rate to same as video files, this rate being used by MCE.
I think it important to match the main timelines frame rate to the video which will be used by MCE

If the problem is with adding the third video to the MCE.vsp then it would appear to be particular to your projects and difficult to replicate

If you have two video + a separate audio and one video with no audio then have you tried adding all to the MCE
You should be able to add the three videos and audio to MCE
Disable Sync for the camera without audio, Sync the remaining 3 to the audio file.
Change the Sync Type to use Markers, mark each track syncing the last silent video by eye
Of course a flash gun fired after starting recordings would be useful, I assume you use a clapper board.
Continue to choose your camera angles.

Back to the time
The MCE VSP’s are a little different in the way they trim the cut points compared to a normal vsp from File New Project.
After completing the MCE a vsp is placed in the library, drag that to the timelines
If we try to drag the end of any clip then that will not trim the clip but move the cut point retaining the sync, doing the same to a normal VSP will simply trim the clip.
It may be the mix of MCE.vsp with a normal video that is causing the sync issue, Just thinking out loud and I do not really know.
Regards Trevor
Pepi
motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 1
processor: Intel i7-7700K
ram: 32GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2020; PaintShopPro 2019

Post by Pepi »

Robbo870
Is it possible that you share some examples to see it a bit better? Do you get the issue also if you do not add the audio, just doing a simple manual sync?
--
Don't Panic
Snake11
motherboard: MSI B550 GAMING
processor: Ryzen 9 5900X
ram: 32GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070
Corel programs: Corel Video Studio 2021 Ultimate

Post by Snake11 »

Had the same issue with Corel Video Studio X10. It was terrible when everything was different than version before close the software.
It is hard to say what is the cause of this situation, but my advice is:

When I have good vsp project I don't start new project. I open this good project, delete all clips, save it by different name (it is my new project now). Since i've been doing that i don't have this problem.