System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Unknown
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 455GB
Corel programs: VS 2020, MotionStudio 3D

Rip vanWinkel moment

Post by david1939 »

Hello all. been away from the forum for a while. I have happily been using VS X6 on my old computer purchased in 2006 running Windows Vista. I've finally bit the bullet, got a new computer running Windows 10 and upgraded to VS 2020. It's, as I say a Rip van Winkel moment both for Windows 10 and VS 2020. I would welcome advice and warnings from the group. One thing that I would like to know is that when loading old VSP files that create DVDs, the menu templates I used are not recognized. Is there a way of importing them from my old system? Also, I tried installing MotionStudio using the old installation disk (I think it came as a bonus with some upgrade), told me I needed VS X4 installed, tried to install that (still had the upgrade disk from VS X3) but it wouldn't let me do that as it said I didn't have a recognized VS installed. I've still got my old VS8 installation from when I purchased it. What now? Go way back? (Fortunately, the old faithful computer is still operational and VSP files etc. are on an external drive.)
SONY DCR-HC42 Handycam, VideoStudio X4 Pro, X5 Pro, X6 Pro, Motion Studio 3D
lata
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Re: Rip vanWinkel moment

Post by lata »

Hi David
First when using 2020 we cannot save the project for an earlier version. So if you open a VSP made with an earlier version in 2020 you will no longer be able to open again from the original version.
I would create a copy of your VSP giving it a name indication 2020 that way you preserve the original vsp should you need it
Upgrading Video Studio from an earlier version needs the original program as proof of purchase and that will be the same for your Motion Studio program, If you have the VS program disc, placing that in your DVD/CD Drive may be all you need for proof as the installer will see that, otherwise the program would need installing.
If your installation files are all on disc then you may need two DVD /CD disc drives.

Creating DVD’s
Although the Menu templates have not changed in many a version we did have additional Menu Templates available via the Welcome Screen and Get More, these downloads have not been available since I believe X10
If you used those templates then they will not be available using 2020, I cannot say if this is your problem or just the age of the VSP, you are going back a few years to Ulead days with VS8

I would boot up the old pc, tell us which Video Studio version you are using, open your VSP to make sure they are fully functional, any files used within your VSP have to be saved to 2020, and that may be a problem for the DVD VSP’s. Your best option may be to create a Smart Package that can then be transferred to the new pc. – not sure how Smart Packages work with DVD VSP’s ?????
View the burner module and tell us which Menu Templates you are using, I may be able to provide those templates to use in 2020
If you have created and saved your own menu templates then they should be saved to the Favourites folder.

The more I think about this the more I seem to find the pit falls and it may be quicker and easier to create new projects using 2020.
The installation locations of the programs files using Vista may be in a different location as to running Windows 10 an that makes it practically impossible to fix, other than using Smart Packages.
Regards Trevor
david1939
motherboard: Unknown
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 455GB
Corel programs: VS 2020, MotionStudio 3D

Post by david1939 »

Thank you, Trevor, for taking the time to send such a detailed reply. Being an old computer person (me, that is not the computer!), I'm finding Windows 10 very "Apple-like", they hide files and folders that the normal user doesn't look at, the new file Explorer is confusing. I know where to find the old menu files on the old machine (in folders like 16.0, 14.0 etc.) and have in the past moved favorites across when I upgraded versions, the challenge now is where to find them and whether I can copy over the old favorites. Oh, well, it'll keep the little gray cells working.

I did find on the MotionStudio forum a question similar to mine. It's possible I can contact Corel, I checked my account with them and since MS is registered they may be able to give me some kind of access code. Otherwise I'll have to bite another bullet and buy it :(.

When things settle down I should update my profile!

Again, thanks for your reply! David
SONY DCR-HC42 Handycam, VideoStudio X4 Pro, X5 Pro, X6 Pro, Motion Studio 3D
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Post by tletter »

david1939 wrote:I'm finding Windows 10 very "Apple-like", they hide files and folders that the normal user doesn't look at, the new file Explorer is confusing.
Turn on the "show file extensions" and "show hidden and system files" options in Windows 10.
david1939 wrote:I tried installing MotionStudio using the old installation disk (I think it came as a bonus with some upgrade), told me I needed VS X4 installed
You could trying installing MotionStudio 3D from the Corel website and activating it using your old serial number. It doesn't appear that MotionStudio 3D has changed since 2011!

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter