System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ram: 16GB
Video Card: AMD R9-270
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 24MK430
Corel programs: X10.5 Ult., 2018 & 2020 Ult.

Re: VSP 2020 Ultimate Crashing Issue

Post by gewb »

yukoner2 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:00 pm
Well, moving programs to the new SSD didn't free up enough space to make any difference. I've learned that a lot of software doesn't give the option for Custom Installation.

So, when I clone the original NVMe drive to the Samsung 500 GB SSD how do I get the system to recognize the New SSD as the C: Drive? Will I remove the original NVMe drive?
If you cloned the "small" C:\ to the new larger SSD, then the new SSD will be te same as the old - you must use a hard drive utility (most are free) to increase the partition size to fill the drive. Should take about two minutes.

You will need to read the motherboard manual regarding boot disks. Some boards with an NVMe will only use that as boot drive. If that is your case, remove the NVMe and assign the new SSD as boot drive.
yukoner2
operating_system: Windows 10
Corel programs: VSP Ultimate 2020, PSP 2020

Post by yukoner2 »

Thanks gewb.So that would automatically assign the drive letter C: if I remove the NVMe drive?
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio: 5 old versions + 2021

Post by Davidk »

There's another way to do this . . .
Cloning is something I haven't got into, but I do use Acronis disk tools; for years, reliable. They are not free, and there are others which are similar, so let me describe how I did this (change the C drive from 160Gb HDD to 250gb SSD).
Two tools in use: true image home, which is the backup and recovery tool, and disk director which is the disk configuration and formatting tool. Both have bootable rescue disk in iso versions which are part of the license and can be downloaded and burnt to disk using any burner that reads iso. These two bootable rescue disks have saved my skin too many times to mention.
Before starting any change
- Create/burn bootable rescue disks from the iso files for both applications, label them.
- Ensure the BIOS is set up for booting from CD as the first priority, and the HDD/SSD as a second priority. if there's no disk in the tray when the boot starts, your will see a normal PC boot. If there is a bootable disk in the tray at start, the PC boots from that - which is exactly the situation you want in a rescue situation, when the normal boot drive may be corrupted, ransomwared, or in this case, just a hardware change.
- download the manuals and RFM regarding backup/recovery and disk configuration

So, to the method . .
1. backup the C drive to a location which is any drive attached to or in the PC. As part of the backup process, label the backup file with the drive it pertains to (rename, with actual drive name and date). Make sure the drive is also uniquely named - see comment at 12 below.
2. power the PC down, and replace the C drive with the new SSD unit. Save it carefully.
3. power the PC up, pause at the BIOS prompt (hold the del key down as soon as you press the start button, until the BIOS screen appears: the purpose here is to enable the CD player to be able to open the tray, which it won't do until power is available, and you want to be able to insert the disk to be used before that start without losing your fingers . . .
4. insert the disk director bootable disk in the CD tray, close it and escape without change from the BIOS. The boot from the rescue disk should proceed.
5. select the disk director application from the menu which is displayed after boot.
6. the application interface displays all the disks as they present to the machine: letter, type, format, percent used etc so on. Select your new SSD unit in the interface
7. configure the SSD: create a volume using the menu, select the drive to be the primary, active drive (this is the one the system will boot from), name, how much space is to be used for this volume (this case; all of it, minimum space before and after), choose the drive format (NTFS for windows) and cluster size (usually as small as possible, eg 4kb, to minimize wasting disk space, as files are assigned space based on clusters so there is always some wasted space in the last cluster used for each file.
8. commit the changes. You can do this as a collection, but I have found that doing them one by one can be better. When the commit process is done the new SSD will in the display as an empty primary bootable C drive.
9. exit the disk director application: then repeat steps 3 and 4 with the true image bootable disk in the CD tray
10. select the true image application from the disk menu, and when started, choose recovery.
11. from the recovery menu, choose browse, and scan the detected disks for the one which has the backup file you made of the C drive (.tib or .tibx). When found, select it.
12. choosing recover runs thru a process where you locate the saved backup file, and choose which detected drive you want the backup file to be applied to. This is where a unique drive name is essential; the bootable disk uses a linux core and that doesn't sequence the drives in quite the way windows does, so a unique drive name is vital: choose the drive to which the backup is to be recovered to using that unique name, not the drive letter
13. run the recovery: you will find that it is much faster than creating the backup file: for the C drive - depending on machine speed, around 8-10 minutes.
14. when completed, exit to windows, pause the re-start at the BIOS - see above - open the CD tray and remove the bootable disk - and exit the BIOS without saving.
15. you should see a normal boot - possibly much faster - using your new SSD unit.

OR

if you are not happy with this sort of change, get your local PC tech to do it.
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

Thanks, Davidk Lots to consider.
gewb
motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Video Card: AMD R9-270
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 24MK430
Corel programs: X10.5 Ult., 2018 & 2020 Ult.

Post by gewb »

yukoner2 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:53 pm
Thanks gewb.So that would automatically assign the drive letter C: if I remove the NVMe drive?
If the SSD would be the only remaining drive then yes, it would be assigned C.

Dave's use of Macrium is a great method as well. Keep in mind, once restored to the new drive you still may need to resize after restore, which only makes sense!

This whole process is actually very easy and the solid state drives makes it much faster than with the mechanical drives.
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

Thanks again, gewb. Much appreciated.
Pepi
motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 1
processor: Intel i7-7700K
ram: 32GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2020; PaintShopPro 2019

Post by Pepi »

Not sure how did you end to the Hard Disk and how to clone it questions :)

You did not mentioned on which phase the project is failing? Does it fails with single video, or does it happen only for this one project? If it is only this project, then I have use a method of cleaning the project to find what is causing the crash. Basically at first remove everything else except the main video track, and then peace by peace try to isolate the problem.
--
Don't Panic
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

No, it's not just this one video. However, I can get it to play or render as long as I pause part way through. I do that at 50% and 75%. This happens with any video I work with that's more than a couple of minutes long.
I'm doing a clean install of Windows 10 on a larger SSD as soon as I can get some time and see if that helps with the issue.
Davidk

Post by Davidk »

That description - it works if I pause at 2 points - sounds like the system is running ahead of itself - the pauses give the process time to catch up. That might be an out of memory condition that a larger drive with greater unused space will fix, but it may also indicate the RAM assignment or size may need some attention. More RAM? The size of the pagefile (sysfile) that holds the swap out contents might be too small?
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

I have 16GB RAM and when I can get the funds together intend to increase to 32 (the max for my ACER TC-885)
I'll have to research how to work with RAM assignment and pagefile (sysfile) as I'm quite new to this.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Davidk

Post by Davidk »

16gb seems more than enough. I have only 8gb on my motherboard, and never had this problem.
So, research the optimal settings for the pagefile. This link may help:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=page+file ... o=Moderate
If that seems OK, then the amount of memory you have spare on your C drive is the most likely candidate.
Recall that when rendering, the resulting file is built up in frames at a time, in a temporary file. When it's completed, the final file is copied to your specified location and (supposedly) the temp file used is deleted.
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

Thanks again, Davidk. I appreciate your time and assistance.
Pepi
motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 1
processor: Intel i7-7700K
ram: 32GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2020; PaintShopPro 2019

Post by Pepi »

When you are doing the rendering, can you see from task manager that memory usage of Video Studio increase while the process goes further.

I was using the standard samples came with VS:
VS-Forum-Crash1.gif
If I render it:
- to MPEG4 4k : it reserve 1,3 GB more RAM
- to MPEG-4 (720 x 720) it reserves 400 MB more RAM
But these are only in begin, during the process I could not see it increases from that. For the 720x720 rendering VS use ram like following:
VS-Forum-ram.gif
VS-Forum-ram.gif (6.97 KiB) Viewed 316 times
So question is, have you followed your memory while you do the rendering? Have you tested different output formats if that have impact to the process? Or have you tested to having output to another drives? And I recommend to try with the standard sample videos to see if that have similar impacts. And what is the output format you are generating?
--
Don't Panic
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

yukoner2 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:49 pm
I have 16GB RAM and when I can get the funds together intend to increase to 32 (the max for my ACER TC-885)
I'll have to research how to work with RAM assignment and pagefile (sysfile) as I'm quite new to this.
Thanks for your suggestions.
If you are concerned about the ram Windows 10 provide a tool to test the memory
I found some details here
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/how-to-test-ram

Typing Windows Memory Diagnostic into the search should find the tool, reboot the pc to start a scan.
Regards Trevor
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

Thanks, pepe and Trevor.
It looks like more RAM will provide the most benefit with my system at this point.
I'm going to look into increasing pagefile size initially until I can get more memory to see if that helps.
Thanks again to everyone who has given of their time to provide help with this. I appreciate it very much.
Happy Holidays All