yukoner2
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 16GB
Corel programs: VSP Ultimate 2020, PSP 2020

VSP 2020 Ultimate Crashing Issue

Post by yukoner2 »

Anyone else having crash problems with VSP 2020 Ultimate?
I have had to reboot and pause rendering a couple of times to get a 4 minute video completed. It also wouldn't play through completely in edit mode.

I have unchecked “enable hardware decoder acceleration” and “enable hardware encoder acceleration” under Preferences as well as “Create Preview Range Only,” “Enable Smart Render” and “Enable hardware encode acceleration” under the Sharing Tab.

My system is Windows 10, 64 bit with 16gb Ram and a 128 GB SSD as drive C. The C drive has about 13gb space left unused.

Any suggestions?
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Re: VSP 2020 Ultimate Crashing Issue

Post by lata »

Unfortunately many have experienced crashes with the program, for me using projects created with older versions seemed to suffer, since updating the program to the latest service pack crashes are a rare occurrence.

It is possible that the problems are associated with the type of video you are using, not saying they are the problem just that Video Studio may not like certain formats.
Using video recorded by Iphones seem particularly troublesome especially where a variable frame rate is used
Can you tell us what type of video files you are working with, right click a clip within the library or timeline and choose properties, what are they? Take a screen shot, Alt + Print Screen would copy the panel to your clipboard, you can then create the image using an image editor. Attach the image to your post.

When you add the video to a new project do you see a message to match the project properties, you should say yes to that.
When you go to Share, what render options do you choose, top left is the choice for Same as Project settings or Same as first Clip.
If you were to create a 4 minute project using the programs samples do you have the same issues?

As for your C drive, yes a little short of gb to edit video
All your personal video files, Images , audio I assume are on a separate drive, in addition your Smart Proxy files can be allocated to another drive, Smart Proxy files are a little greedy in using Gb and soon eat up your 13gb
Regards Trevor
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

Thanks, Trevor. Yes all my files, images, audio are on a separate drive. As for Smart Proxy Files, I see that option is not enabled. Perhaps I should enable it and set it to another drive? I only shoot in 1080P for the most part, with Canon cameras so I don't know if that would help.
I have a 500 gb 2.5 inch SSD that I've been considering adding to my system and then moving the operating and programs to it. I've a lot to learn in that regard though.
Screenshot 2020-12-05 090931.jpg
Norm
Last edited by yukoner2 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

Moving to a larger SSD would certainly be good. And these days it's fairly easy if time consuming, when using a program such as Macrium Reflect or similar to do the transfer. And even the time taken in this case would be relatively small given you are in effect only copying a 128 GB SSD.
Ken Berry
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

Thanks, Ken. Much appreciated.
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

If you are having issues with slow playback on the timelines then you should enable Smart Proxy and set the folder to another drive, this will not fix any crashes you are experiencing but help with project playback
I use a folder on my D Drive, the same folder being used for all my programs, seems to work ok.

The properties look bog standard for a canon camera, I have a 7D although used for still images does record similar video, when I have edited those I have not had any issues.

Like Ken I agree if you have a 500Gb SSD use it, I don’t really how you manage a 128Gb drive
It probably has its own software to help transferring the operating system, and yes a bit worrying to do, I would be the same and would have to think twice to make sure.
I have my operating system on a 500 SSD but all my video / images files on another drive, seems to work well.

We digress
So when going to Share what do you choose, try rendering to the same settings as the canon video files.
Regards Trevor
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

I wonder, if I install the 500gb SSD, uninstall my programs and simply set the storage so new apps are installed to the new drive but leave the operating system on the existing C: drive will that work?
For example will the files that VSP installs to Documents/Corel VideoStudio Pro install to the new drive or would they still end up on the C: drive?
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio: 5 old versions + 2021

Post by Davidk »

An issue with an external drive - usually usb connected - is that editing thru what is basically a slow interface can cause traffic jams and jerky play as the program runs faster than the cache that manages the transfer across that usb interface; if the cache empties into the program before the controller can fill it up again, the video is jerky on play: stops and starts, but the audio usually is Ok because the data rate for it is much lower. If it's a usb 3 interface in the PC and the drive, and you use short clips, it can be barely noticeable; but if the external drive is connected via the usb connections on the front panel of the desktop tower, or a standard usb2 cable, things will get jerky noticeably quickly. These external connections will always run at the speed of the slowest device, so having usb3 or usb-c on only one end of the cable does not help. And the lags across this interface can cause issues during rendering, or even installation.
If your PC has a standard internal SD card slot (many laptops do), and not a card reader that connects using usb2, get a large card and use that; it runs much faster than usb, and because it's connected to the main cpu memory bus there are not the transfer lags that occur thru the various parts of usb (adapter, host controller etc) before it gets to the cpu. This is the solution I came up with for this problem in a class environment.
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

We should ask if the pc is a laptop or desktop and whether the SSD is external and connected via USB or internal and using Sata connections
I would have thought if an external device you would already have plugged that in.
As for the Documents folder which by default is here C:\Users\Trevor\Documents, at least for me
We can be easily moved the Documents folder to another drive if you wish to do that.
Installing programs
Personally I use the C drive for all my programs, then manage my personal files saving them to another drive.
Installing Video Studio on a different drive does not install everything to that drive for me that is a problem.

The main problem you have is the size of the C Drive, give it some though before changing things.

We need to know if the pc is a desktop and whether the SSD is internal or external, then we may be able to suggest some options in using the SSD and the c drive.
Regards Trevor
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

Thanks again Trevor. I thought I'd given this info previously but apparently previewed the post but didn't submit it. LOL

I'm using an ACER TC-885 desktop that has the NVMe M.2 drive as Drive C and the SSD I want to add will be internal.

I was thinking of cloning Drive C to the new drive and then changing the boot order so the new drive becomes the boot drive. Still not sure if that would solve the issue.
If Drive E: (the new drive) is the boot drive with Windows 10 installed on it and Windows 10 is set to install new programs to Drive E: will all the files associated with VSP then be placed on Drive E:?

Or, I could unplug the NVMe M.2 drive that is currently Drive C and do a clean install onto the new SSD which would make it drive C:, correct?

My concern is that I'm really a neophyte at all this, having only done it once before.
That said, If I try it and it doesn't work, I should be able to connect the NVMe M.2 again and things would be back to normal wouldn't it?
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio: 5 old versions + 2021

Post by Davidk »

If you are adding an 'extra' internal SSD in a desktop, then consider using 2 of them and you may find you don't have to immediately re-install anything more than VS.
Suggestion;
1. use the existing SSD just for the C drive - for the OS - and nothing else. You may have to clean this up by moving (uninstall/re-install) apps to the new drive - see 3 below. A C drive of 128gb used just for windows should be more than sufficient with oodles of space to spare. If at some future time you decide that it is in fact getting to small, then a) back the whole drive partition up to a separate external location, b) replace the C drive with a larger unit, say 250/500gb SSD, and then c) use recovery tools to define the new disk and recover the backup files to the new drive.
2. add your new SSD - and make it the largest size you can afford, a 1Tb or bigger would be good - and call it D or E or F - whatever is the next drive in sequence: let windows define it.
3. Use the new SSD for data and applications. When installing an app, choose the custom install option and select a folder on this drive.
4. Following from 3, do a custom install of VS onto this drive.
5. If you have space in your desktop tower, and power/connections available in the motherboard, also consider getting a large standard bay-installable HDD, say 3-4Tb, which you will probably find is cheaper than an SSD, and use this drive for all your data. These drives connect using the high speed SATA interface, and I haven't had one slow down a data transfer when editing yet.
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

Thanks, DavidK. This is very useful information.
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi
It is a long time ago that I installed my C Drive SSD and then I did a clean install of Windows 10
However as far as I am aware the new SSD could/should have some software that can be used to clone the old C drive to the new SSD, the old 128 Gb drive being allocated a different drive maybe D Drive. At least that was my understanding.

A google search finds lots of info on installing SDD
https://www.howtogeek.com/345988/how-to ... n-your-pc/

I'm sure you will benefit by having the OS on a SSD Drive
Regards Trevor
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

Thanks again, Trevor. I'll spend some time with this and get back with the results of what I chose to do.
Norm
yukoner2

Post by yukoner2 »

Well, moving programs to the new SSD didn't free up enough space to make any difference. I've learned that a lot of software doesn't give the option for Custom Installation.

So, when I clone the original NVMe drive to the Samsung 500 GB SSD how do I get the system to recognize the New SSD as the C: Drive? Will I remove the original NVMe drive?