processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
ram: 32GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 2GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell P2219H
Corel programs: VS Ultimate 2020 and PSPro Ultimate 2020

VS 2020 and Newblue plugins

Post by Martin H »

I apologise for the length of this post although I hope it prevents anyone else from suffering a repeat of my recent experiences

I've purchased several versions of Video Studio (X10, VS2018, 2019 & 2020) and installed the early versions on a less powerful PC with AMD A8 7600 CPU and 4GB Ram. Although I've tinkered with the software to produce family Christmas and Birthday videos I still consider myself a newbie. With more time on my hands I'm now looking to enhance my skills to produce more polished videos.

In Nov 2019 I purchase the NewBlue Ultimate FX Bundle through the Video Studio interface. Only 7 of the 9 effects would work. I thought this might be due to my PC specification and upgraded to a newer, more powerful system. The NB plugin problem persisted so I upgraded to VS 2019. This again made no difference.

In August this year I purchased NB Video Essentials VI plugin though the VS interface and couldn't get it to work at all with VS 2019. I then updated to VS 2020 to again be disappointed.

On 16 November I reported this to NB support and advised them that I had tried to fix the problems by following the steps outlined in the following support pages with no success.

https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ue-plugins
https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -complete-

NB support first advised me to "make sure you use the "Consumer" download links from this page"

I downloaded and installed Art Effects, from the Ultimate FX bundle, as instructed and when I tried to check the installation VideoStudio 2020 refused to open. The VS 2020 splash screen appeared and the only way I could clear it was to activate the Task manager and end the process: APLoading MFC Application.

I then uninstalled all the NB plugins, Uninstalled VS2020 and installed a clean copy of VS2020

On 20 November NB support advised
"Let's start with Video Essentials VI first. Please go to this folder on your hard drive: C:\Program Files\NewBlue\Video Essentials VI for Windows\ULead64

Please copy all of the files with a .vft extension to this folder: C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2020\vft_plug

Once that is done, please restart VideoStudio and check if you see the Video Essentials VI effects."
I followed these instructions to the letter. The result was
"When re-starting VS to check if I could see Essentials VI VS wouldn’t start. The VS splash screen appeared and the only way I could clear it was to again activate task manager and end the process: APLoading MFC Application."
In frustration I then removed the .vft files that I copied, and Video Studio started again.

Having reported this to NB support they responded
"I sincerely apologize, we have had issues where, when multiple NewBlue collections were installed on a user's computer, their copy of VideoStudio would not start correctly. I would recommend removing the .vft files that you copied, and Video Studio should start again. We have been working with Corel on this issue, and it should be fixed in VideoStudio 2021, although unfortunately I'm not sure if there will be an update to fix it for VideoStudio 2020."
Having just discovered this Corel user forum a quick search revealed that other forum posters have also experienced exactly the same problems.

It would not be unreasonable for any purchaser to assume that purchasing NewBlue products via the Corel VS interface would install and work properly!!
RobertOZ
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A86 1.04E01
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 5770
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 32" IPS LED (Main) HP 23fi IPS LED
Corel programs: VSX4-X10 VS 2018/2019/2020 & MS 3D

Re: VS 2020 and Newblue plugins

Post by RobertOZ »

The last version that would successfully install NB Essentials VI was VSX10, I have had major discussions with NB over the past few years and they basically said that they were not prepared to spend any time fixing legacy products, also I have not been able to install NB Film Effects Package, which is the responsibility of Corel to fix as they are selling the product to consumers, Have not seen NB VI offered for sale by Corel.
Dell 7567,Win 10(2004) i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5, drives, 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Samsung 28" 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor
PS24 Ultimate, PSP 2020, PhotoMirage, Painter 2020, VS 2018 Ult, VS2021 Ult MultiCam Capture XL
Martin H
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro4

Post by Martin H »

Thanks for the reply Robert,

I just checked my Corel account again and it clearly shows the following purchases

9 Aug 2020 - Video Essentials VI VS Plugin
19 Nov 2019 - The Ultimate NewBlue FX Bundle

Both were made via the VS interface as depicted by the following screenshots

I also see that I could buy the NB Film Effects Package today if I wanted to!!!
Neblue Essentials VI VS2020.PNG
Ultimate FX bundle VS2020 screen.PNG
Capture Newblue film effects and Unltimate 2020.PNG
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Since my last post I have opened a support ticket with Corel. My recent response to them is as follows
I downloaded the installation file for NB Art effects you linked to and went through the setup process. When I tried to check the installation Video Studio refused to open. The VS2020 splash screen appeared and the only way I could clear it was to activate the task manager and end the process: APLoading MFC application.

I then de-registered and uninstalled NB Art effects from my desktop pc.

For your information this is the fourth time I have attempted to install Art effects on the desktop pc without success.

The Ultimate NewBlue FX Bundle appears within the edit pane of VS 2020 Ultimate with the exception of Art effects and Paint effects.

The other product that would not install on the desktop pc is the NB Video Essentials VI collection.

Installation of NB products on laptop computer

I have installed VS Ultimate 2019 on my laptop pc.

Laptop PC specification

Make: Hauewi Matebook Pro 2019
operating_system: Windows 10 Home Version 1909 64 Bit
processor: 8th generation Intel Core i5 8265U
ram: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 2GB

Here is a record of my experiences installing NB plugins on the laptop.

I have installed NewBlue Video Essentials VI on the laptop, and after copying all files with .vft extension from C:\Program Files\NewBlue\Video Essentials VI for Windows\ULead64 to : C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2019\vft_plug, and re-booting the laptop - VOILA - New Blue Video Essentials VI appeared in the FX tab of VS 2019. :D

Being an eternal optimist I then proceeded to repeat the same steps on the laptop with NB Art effects. When checking to see if installation was successful I again encountered the dreaded VS splash screen and Video studio refused to load. Damn!! :roll:

As an experiment via windows file explorer I returned to the C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2019\vft_plug and followed the following steps

1) I deleted one of the .vft files I had copied across.
2) I then re-booted the laptop and checked to see if VS2019 would load
3) By the time I had deleted 6 of the 10 .vft files VS2019 opened and I think I glimpsed a dialogue box saying 'rebuilding database'.
4) When that was complete I could then see Art Effects in the FX tab of VS2019. The available effects were Hand drawn Line drawing, Metallic and Pastel sketch.
5) When attempting to check if any of these effects would work on either a moving or still image Video Studio hung. :evil:
6) In the end I had to delete a further two .vft files to overcome the VS hanging problem.

The art effects that seem to be working on the laptop are a) Hand drawn and b) Pastel sketch.

I see little point in repeating this laborious process with Paint effects so have decided to cease further installation attempts at this stage.

You will no doubt agree that having NB collections installed under different versions of Video Studio running on 2 separate computers is far from ideal.

In conclusion, my experience appears to demonstrate that there is currently a finite limit to the number of Newblue effects that will successfully integrate with either Corel Video Studio 2019 or VS2020.

Upon the basis that I purchased both of these products through the Video Studio interface I would be interested to learn your response.
I'll let you all know when I get a response.
Pepi
motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 1
processor: Intel i7-7700K
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2020; PaintShopPro 2019

Post by Pepi »

Martin,

Few years back I had one of those sadly support case open with Corel about NewBlue add-in (titler pro 5) as that hangs the VS. In that time it was VS2018. I did some debugging by my own, and found access denied errors related to this. The file it was trying to write was "C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2018\Ulead.dat\ulead32.ini". When I'm running applications on my workstation I'm not having local admin credentials (everybody should do so). So if application is working incorrectly, it is trying to use folders/files from locations where it does not have accesses. If you are running also your VS without local admin credentials, this could be the issue.

You could try to run it as admin, and see if that change anything. If that helps, then there are the same errors still.

The support case, that hits to walls. I did not success to get them to understand why it is bad idea to run daily applications with admin credentials, neither I did not success them to understand what is the access denied. More important was to update the GPU drivers :roll:
--
Don't Panic
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

@Pepi
Thanks for your response. I am relieved to know that I am not the only one who has been given the run around. This morning I received a further response from Corel support.
Thank you for the brief explanation.

You can follow the below steps to install the NewBlue Fx:
Run the NewBlue plugin installer.
A screen will come up.
Click on Add path.
Navigate to the vtf_plug folder under your VideoStudio's folder (For example, this is the folder path for VideoStudio 2019: C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2019\vft_plug )
It's at times like this I am sorely tempted to return to *** smoking!! I've just sent a further email to Corel.
For your information, I only took delivery of the laptop computer in September this year and the only software installed is VS 2019. Prior to installing VS2019 I made sure that all available Windows 10 updates had been installed and that the NVIDIA graphics drivers were also up to date. I am logged in to windows as an administrator.

On each occasion that I have attempted to install a NewBlue plugin I have added the correct path when the installation program invites me to do so. ie (C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2019\vft_plug)

In order to get Video Essentials VI to appear in VS2019 I also had to manually copy all files with .vft extension from C:\Program Files\NewBlue\Video Essentials VI for Windows\ULead64 to : C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2019\vft_plug

I followed exactly the same process when attempting to install Art effects. Even though I had installed the correct path Art effects failed to show up in the VS2019 edit pane under the FX tab. My previous email catalogues the difficulties
I encountered after manually copying across all files with .vft extension. The position reamins that I can get only 2 out of the 10 effects to work?
Why is this?
Although I am aware that @RobertOZ has been unable to install NB Film effects is there anyone else that has experienced similar problems with NB plugins?
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

FWIW, in VS 2020 I have NB Essentials I, II, III, IV, V and VII, as well as NB Sampler Effects, NB ColorFast and NB Motion Effects. I tried installing Essentials VI but that failed repeatedly. You will also recall that several of the Essentials packages came with VS Ultimate, so IIRC I only installed about two of these from the package I -- VI that I had bought separately some years ago.

All of the installed NB packages work.
Ken Berry
Pepi

Post by Pepi »

Martin,

Just tested NewBlue's title Pro 5 came with Corel Video Studio 2020.
VS-NewBlue-Bugs-AccessDenied.gif
It should not be a surprise that VS is unable to handle this scenario.

Because of useless discussion with Corel's support, a minute ago I sent a note to NewBlue if they are interest to solve this. It would be super simple to them, if they wished. In fact, this is actually a problem they need to fix it, not Corel.
--
Don't Panic
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

Hmmm... I forgot about NB Titler Pro, though I thought it was version 7 which came with VS 2020, with 5 coming in earlier versions of VS. I don't seem to have it in my VS 2020, but I am not sure what happened there. I certainly never worried about it much, though, since I never used it in earlier versions...

EDIT: I just tried installing Essentials VI again. But after getting the splash screen, VS crashed. No error message. And now I remember that was why I never tried installing it again! :cry: :oops:
Ken Berry
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

New blue titler pro 5 is provided with video studio
It is within the FX filter library

We have to drag the filter to a clip on the timeline, then customise to create the title effect, quite a lot of animation profiles available
I have not had a problem using NBTP5 other than a bit of a learning curve
Regards Trevor
Pepi

Post by Pepi »

Friends, don't get confused :)

Martin had troubles with NewBlue products:
- NewBlue Ultimate FX Bundle
- NB Video Essentials VI

Do not get mixed with Title Pro which I used as an example of Access Denied :D

But my experience how Title Pro 5 was working, I would not be surprised if similar fundamental issues are with other products.
--
Don't Panic
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

To save forum members scrolling back up to my previous post this is what I said to Corel in my email to them last Friday.
On each occasion that I have attempted to install a NewBlue plugin I have added the correct path when the installation program invites me to do so. ie (C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2019\vft_plug)

I followed exactly the same process when attempting to install Art effects......The position remains that I can get only 2 out of the 10 effects to work?
Why is this?
Their response today is this:
You can follow the below steps to install the NewBlue Fx:
Run the NewBlue plugin installer.
This screen will come up.
Click on Add path.
Navigate to the vtf_plug folder under your VideoStudio's folder (For example, this is the folder path for VideoStudio 2019: C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2019\vft_plug )

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.
This is identical to the instructions they sent me last Friday. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am yet to formulate my response. Any comments?
Pepi

Post by Pepi »

Martin,
Have you tried to run VS as administrator? Does it work differently with that?

About support, unfortunately you are on the same loop than I have been so many times. For me it is odd, that they seems to not even read the responses I have given for them. Perhaps a shorten answers could help?
--
Don't Panic
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Pepi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:20 pm
Have you tried to run VS as administrator? Does it work differently with that?
Nope. It makes no difference at all and I've told Corel that as well.
Pepi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:20 pm
For me it is odd, that they seems to not even read the responses I have given for them.
This is starting to look like their standard practice. So in this instance I have simply responded:
Thank you for your most helpful reply.

On each occasion that I have attempted to install a NewBlue plugin I have always added the correct path when the installation program invites me to do so. ie (C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2019\vft_plug)

The position remains that I can get only 2 out of the 10 Art effects to work?
Why is this?
I'll update this thread when a reply is received.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Ken Berry wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:26 pm
EDIT: I just tried installing Essentials VI again. But after getting the splash screen, VS crashed. No error message. And now I remember that was why I never tried installing it again! :cry: :oops:
Corel have kindly offered telephone and remote access support which I'll be timetabling for after Christmas. Assuming we can get the NB effects to work I'll try my best to note down the necessary steps.