System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Dell Inc. 0P993J
processor: 2.27 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
ram: 4GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 320GB

Cannot add more folders

Post by PRIEST »

Went to start a new project and got this message, "Cannot Add more folders." This does not make sense to mel How do I proceed?
BJC
operating_system: Windows 10
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: Videostudio 2018 and 2019

Re: Cannot add more folders

Post by BJC »

How many folders do you currently have
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

Hi
What version of Video Studio are you using, can you update your profile to include your version.

Are you referring to the library, if so i dont really understand why that should be when starting a new project, I assume using File - New Project

Can you give more details as to what you are actually doing.
Regards Trevor
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

I think the problem may be in the settings of the system user account itself, which denies access to create a new folder?
gewb
motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ram: 16GB
Video Card: AMD R9-270
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 24MK430
Corel programs: X10.5 Ult., 2018 & 2020 Ult.

Post by gewb »

This has been the case going back numerous releases. I have removed pre-2018 releases (I started with X7) so I can't go back to find all of those with that behavior - it might be all of them.

I don't know why it was programmed like that.

EDIT
Went back to this topic from 2016 (https://forum.corel.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 3&p=336480) and this is what I posted:

My X8.5 installation barfs at 38 folders.

I can only venture a guess as to why. Looking into some of the VS files, parts of the application date back to the early 2000s when uLead owned the product. While I haven't determined the database engine in use I would guess it dates back that far.

I also would guess that the developers put in a hard limit:
(a) because of a technical limitation or
(b) because someone said "No one will have more than 3 dozen projects."
Last edited by gewb on Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Post by Davidk »

All of this appears to be using VS as the "explorer" file manager for projects. But IMHO a better way is to use windows explorer to do that, and ignore the ability of VS to use project folders. What using windows will do is:
- require you to use a degree of organization in the files you use. Whatever suits you. I use separate folders for video, photos, and audio/voiceovers, and within those folders separate folders again for specific projects. Example, recorded material from a canadian holiday will use the same folder names in each tree category (video, photos, audio) so it easy to match them up. You can even go further and have folders in each tree for specific places like the rockies, Toronto, eastern canada etc.
- and this approach will only give you a cannot create file error when there disk are absolutely full.
- a further benefit is file re-use; can use the same files in different projects if that suits. No need to have copies all over the place.
- uninstalling VS does not remove the data.
And I have more than dozens of projects and related material on my hard drives using this approach without any space management issues with VS.

:P
gewb
motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Video Card: AMD R9-270
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 24MK430
Corel programs: X10.5 Ult., 2018 & 2020 Ult.

Post by gewb »

Similar to Dave, I have stopped using the project library pane in VS. Instead, each of my projects are in separate folders and the project VSP is stored there, too. That way I just navigate to the fold and launch the project.
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

Like David and gewb, I too keep my video files and projects stored outside the VS areas. In fact, I have everything on a 4GB external USB drive apart from the program itself and its plug-ins. This runs the risk of needing relinks when you plug in an external drive and it is assigned a different letter. But I have set this drive up to always be assigned the same letter (down towards the end of the alphabet) so no problem has every arisen...
Ken Berry
PRIEST

Cannot add more folders

Post by PRIEST »

I have posted this question about a month ago and got the below answer from Corel located under the dash line.
This answer does not work for me. It appears as if Corel wants me to export a file, back up that file, and then rename the 23.0 file to 23.0-Old. Thus essentially delete the 23.0 file. Starting up the app again, I suspect is suposed to create a new 23.0 file. It did not. I did all this, and I when I re-started the Corel Video Pro 2020, I again got the "Cannot add more folders."

I am switching back to Windows Movie Maker until someone can tell me how to solve this "Cannot add more folders." error message

-------------------:
Thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support. My name is Saravanan and I have been assigned to your ticket.

I can understand your concern that you are facing Issue with the VidoeStudio software I will help you to fix that

I would like to suggest deleting your computer's temp files and reset your VideoStudio 2020 to its default settings.

To delete the temp files in your computer, kindly follow the instructions that are provided in the link below.

http://howto.corel.com/en/c/How_to_remo ... tem_issues

To reset your VideoStudio, kindly follow instructions that are listed below:

Before you reset your VideoStudio to its default settings, I would like to recommend saving your files first:

To save the VideoStudio library:

- Click Settings
- Click Library Manager
- Click Export Library...
- Select a destination folder or create one
- Click the OK button

To Import the VideoStudio Library

- Click Settings
- Click Library Manager
- Click Import Library...
- Select the destination folder that holds the exported library information
- Click the OK button

After saving your files, you can now proceed with resetting your software to its default settings:

1. On the keyboard, launch the Run box by pressing the Windows button then the letter R (Windows + R)
2. In the Open box, type %APPDATA% and press the enter key.
3. In the new window, find the Ulead Systems folder.
4. Open the Ulead Systems folder.
5. Open the Corel VideoStudio Pro folder.
6. There should be a folder named 23.0 here.
7. Rename 23.0 to 23.0_old.
PRIEST

Post by PRIEST »

Thank you all for your replies. Right now I keep each project stored in a folder explicit to the video. Yes, I create a new folder for the pieces I want for the video - photos, videos, music, narrations, etc. When it comes time to save these data file, I store it in the application. However, it seem the Video Studio Pro (VSP) folder I created may also be storing these data files. Is this correct? I seems lKen, David and gewb have identified my issue. If so, I do not know where to go from here. VSP 2020 is my first video editor outside of Windows Movie Maker (which now I using again), so the file formats/paths I am familiar with are what is causing me not to understand how I can use the VSP application, bring in the data files, and then store both the data files and source file created in separate from VSP app, and then when I want to recall/open them bring them back into VSP logically. As you can see from this Quick Reply, I am one confused video editor.
I anxiously await direction on how to proceed both within the VSP app and with my data files. Steve
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Post by tletter »

PRIEST wrote:I create a new folder for the pieces I want for the video - photos, videos, music, narrations, etc. When it comes time to save these data file, I store it in the application.
You can't store files in the application. The files uses by VS are stored on a computer data storage device, e.g. HDD/SSD, thumbdrive, NAS, etc., in their original form. VS simply creates a project file with a VSP extension that points to the files' locations and how filters are to be applied to them. Hence if you move the source files around your storage devices then you must tell VS where to find them using the relink feature. If you delete the source files then you're hosed as VS doesn't store the source files within the VSP.
PRIEST wrote:However, it seem the Video Studio Pro (VSP) folder I created may also be storing these data files. Is this correct?
No - see explanation above. A VSP is simply a text/binery file (it's not a folder), just like a Windows Movie Maker project file with a .mswmm file name extension.
PRIEST wrote:VSP 2020 is my first video editor outside of Windows Movie Maker (which now I using again), so the file formats/paths I am familiar with are what is causing me not to understand how I can use the VSP application
Windows MM and VS are both NLE and treat source files the same way, i.e. you must tell MM where the source files are located if you've moved them. If you understand how MM treats source files then you can work with VS using that knowledge. As well, there are many VS tutorials available online for free to help you learn how to use VS, and as a last resort, there is the Corel VideoStudio 2020 User Guide available to you.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Post by tletter »

PRIEST wrote:Starting up the app again, I suspect is suposed to create a new 23.0 file. It did not.
If you renamed the 23.0 folder as instructed, then VS will recreate 23.0 folder unless your VS installation is somehow corrupted. What is the output when running the following command from the command line?
C:\>dir 23.0 /s /b

Note that you now have started two topics named "Cannot add more folders" that deal with the same issue. There's little point in doing that.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

The other posts have been merged to this one by Admin

After renaming the 23.0 folder to “23.0_old” a new 23.0 folder will be created, if not the program will not start
The library should now be empty other than the programs sample folders
If you are still experiencing the cannot add folders then try resetting the library
Go to Settings Library Manager – Reset Library
You should now be working with the program as installed, if you still experience this issue then I can only suggest doing a re-installation of the program
What other versions of Video Studio do you have installed on your system
Regards Trevor
PRIEST

Post by PRIEST »

Trevor and tletter,
By golly, I think you both solved it for me!
I just came back to Corel Community and read all the above responses. The explanations hit home here, and I began to put VSP into perspective.
After having(and appreciating) this Corel Community education, I felt comfortable enough to take your re-set library suggestion, and lo and behold, it got rid of the folders. I then tested two of the previous .VSP videos I made going from within VSP to where my .VSP files were stored, and it brought them forth onto the timeline. I could also create a new folder. The original files used did not show in the folder area, but it appears I can now edit my old .VSP files for a new video, plus use folders to create new ones (until the "Cannot add more folders" message comes again.

Is there a way to access the 23.0-Old file I used save the 23.0 file that was "full?"

Thanks to you and the other Corel Community members, I appear to be back on track with VSP 2020.
THANK YOU! I feel like I owe you all a beer!
Steve
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi Steve
Good to hear you have sorted things.

You can rename the 23.0 folder to “23.0_old2”
Then rename the 23.0_old folder back to 23.0
However it does appear that the library was corrupt and possibly the original 23.0 folder also corrupt.
So reverting back may cause the problem to start again.

But then you can always revert to the good version 23.0_old2

And when you are happy with the library delete the older 23.0_old versions.
Regards Trevor