motherboard: Systemboard with Intel H57 Express Chipset
processor: Intel[R] Core[TM] i7-9700 CPU 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
ram: 16 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 T
Monitor/Display Make & Model: DELL P2018H
Corel programs: VideoStudio Pro X8

Re: How to Use Pro X8 on Computer With Small C Drive

Post by Jan1954 »

I have my data on the D drive and have restarted a video project. I have all the photo and video folders for the project in the thumbnails and they are linked. I recreated my opening title slide. However, when I tried to drag a "Transition" down into the video track, I received the "insufficient memory" message, or VideoStudio quits (kicks me out). When I try to right mouse select a transition to locate it, VideoStudio also quits. I am supposing the transitions are somewhere, but how do I fix this problem? I also notice I have "Proxy Files" that are temp files and I am ignoring them for now since I am worried if I delete a file, I may mess things up more than they are now.
:mrgreen:
Davidk
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Post by Davidk »

Start with some basics . .
using windows explorer,
how much free space do you have on your C: drive, and on your D: drive? (select each one, rt-click and choose properties)
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

Hi Jan
Re- Lang folders
Can you tell us where those files are, I can find some within the setup files (C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2020\Setup)
The total size of the folders show as 14.9Mb which is not that large, I believe Asik did have very large files although was using an older version, I'm sure he will explain.

By the way
I use a small program called Tree Size

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free
It views your folders showing the actual size of each folder, Quite useful to find which are using the most Gb's
Regards Trevor
Jan1954

Post by Jan1954 »

been busy with that Transition problem (see below). I just found out I am back to 17.5% free space on the C Drive. I don't recall if I got a reply about what I thought were languages to remove from C (posted above). I will try the "treesize_free" now.

Pro X8 is located on the C Drive: Program Files (x86) > Corel > Corel VideoStudio Pro X8 > Setup {A22A80C4-.......................}.

I did not understand what Davidk meant, "One thing to check on your SSD C drive is the space assigned for restore points." I don't know what restore points are.

I resubmitted a ticket to tech help today. They stopped responding after I sent the two files they asked me to create the other week. The problem is when I bring a Transition down to the Video Track, Pro X8 shuts down. Gone! I don't know if the Preferences are set up correctly.
Jan1954

Post by Jan1954 »

I ran tree_size. I got this info:
Program Data Size: 66.2 GB Allocated: 59.8 GB Files: 117,076 Folders: 5,238 Percent: 32.8 %
Users Size: 45.2 GB Allocated: 45.2 GB Files: 53,811 Folders: 9,449 Percent: 24.9 % 1
Windows size: 25.7 GB Allocated: 25.7 GB Files: 198,162 Folders: 56,412 Percent: 14.1 %
Program Files Size: 12.5 GB Allocated: 12.6 GB Files: 69,638 Folders: 8,638 Percent: 6.9 %
Program Files (x86) Size: 10.1 GB Allocated: 10.2 GB Files: 31,330 Folders: 6,377 Percent: 5.6 %

Also I just realized on C I have: Program Files > Corel > Corel VideoStudio Pro X8. I can actually see the folders such as aftComponent, aft_plug, AudioQuality, etc. I also have files there from 2015, 2009, 2008, etc. Folders and files make up 718 items! So is all this stuff supposed to be on the Program Files (x86)? Why is all this stuff here? As you see in my post above, I have Corel on the (x86) but I don't know what that file is under Setup, {A22A80C4-.......................}.

I don't mess with "Program Files" and I think using a PC Mover to move all my files from the old computer to this new one just compounded my problems! I am afraid to remove files and then create more problems. I am bummed now...
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi
Do you have any other versions of Video Studio installed on your pc
I would suggest that you uninstall Video Studio, using the Clean Up tool should do a good job, but there are some folders that will not be removed.
Of course you do not remove your project files (vsp files.)

You can then check your C Drive size
Reinstall X8, again checking the C Drive to see what impact installing X8 has

I am away from home but when i have access to my pc will be able to give more details
I will contact you when I am back home
Regards Trevor
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Post by Davidk »

Ah, Jan1954,
You are missing out on one of windows handiest "get out of jail" tools in restore points.
Windows can create a restore point which is the saving of a selection of programs necessary to start windows without any other applications, intended to enable a user to revert to a known working condition, after something crunched the PC: a bad response to an AV update is common. Windows help has more details on restore points. These are usually auto created during an OS update, or you can create one manually. Get out of jail generally means
- boot with safe mode (F8 key during the post test and before the windows icons appear on screen).
- delete or uninstall the offender program, or alternatively just
- recover using a selected restore point (choose from the list of those saved)
- re-boot and you are back to a known good condition.

Restore points are saved on the C drive, if I recall correctly these are in the system volume information folders. If you have loaded Treesize, you can see it there. Windows will assume 100% of space available can be used for these, unless you specify a lower figure. If you have not done that, then it's likely that restore points have gradually filled up your C drive space: which is what you were posting about. That's what happened to me when I changed my C drive to an SSD. It took 9 months after that event to suddenly get a storage alarm, and this is what caused it.

You can see how many restore points exist on your system by opening the control panel/system page, and choosing the "advanced system settings" option. When that opens, select the system protection tab, and it will all be there. I've attached a screenshot of mine FYI:
restore points.jpg
- the drive for restore points can be selected (C drive default ON), but turn it on if it's not.
- choose configure, and the existing setting and use is displayed in a bar. Here is where you set the space you want to allocate to restore points: drag the pointer to the amount of space you allot. On my 250Gb SSD, I chose 11Gb, or about 6% which is good for about 5 restore points or more, depending on just how big they get.
- when you have set the limit you want, choose apply, then OK. If the number of existing points exceeds the new limit, the older ones will be removed until the newer ones left conforms to the new limit spec.

You can also check on/delete restore points using Cclean, if you have that tool installed. A screenshot FYI
Cclean restore points.jpg
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi Jan
I was reading your reply showing the sizes of your folders
The Program Data size looks quite excessive at 66.2 Gb, my pc shows that at 11Gb
You should be able to expand that view to see just where the 66Gb is being used.

You also mentioned seeing files in Program Files - Corel, these are the installation files and should not be deleted, take care with those.

Program Files (x86) Size: 10.1 Gb, unless 32 bit programs should be able to delete
They are setup files used to install the program, once installed as far as I know can be removed.
I do not think it is Video Studio X8 that is causing all the GB issues, I think there may be leftovers from previous installations of 2015, 2009, 2008.

You should also look here:-
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Ulead Systems
These folders are used to reset the program, there may be leftovers from 2015, 2009 etc

But it’s the Program Data at 66Gb that for me seems excessive.
Regards Trevor
Jan1954

Post by Jan1954 »

Hello everybody. I have a lot of good information from everyone and know what I am doing after lunch today.
I don't think I have any previous versions of VideoStudio in C, but I will look into and clean things up.
Davidk: I do have 3.34 GB for C drive in the Current Restore Settings. I never knew this existed. I created my recovery disk when I got the new computer.
On my tree report it shows "Recovery 4.7 GB."

When the Corel tech person helped me, Pro X8 was removed and the reloaded.

I just tried to insert a screen print of the folder with what I think are languages, but it did not work. It is at Program > Corel > Corel VideoStudio Pro X8. In the list there are abbreviations like CT, DE, EN, en-US, FR, etc. So I assume they are languages sprinkled throughout the list.

My one cat is walking across the desk in front of me telling me it is treat time. Hard to type. I will be back working on this after lunch! She is a sweetheart, so I have to give her a break!
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi
The folders you see in C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2018\Setup appear to be setup files that were used to install the program, they are no longer needed
The 2018 folder is only 42Mb so not that large and is not gonna impact on your Gb size issue.

You also mentioned having 2008 and 2009 folders if they are also in C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\ then they can also be deleted.

As i say I do not think that VS X8 is the problem to the size issue, besides if you uninstall X8 you would only save 3 Gb at the most.

Can you double check the size of the Program Data folder at 66 Gb is quite a lot

I'm in the UK and its getting late and time to crash out in front of the TV
Regards Trevor
Jan1954

Post by Jan1954 »

Trevor, don't look at this now. Hope you are getting some rest. I uninstalled Pro X8 (and the DVD program). I checked the Programs folder and had Corel files there (1.44 GB) and deleted that. On the D Drive under > Users > Owner > Public Documents, I have a folder called Corel VideoStudio Pro with 77.4 GB (created July 9th). The 36 folders include 001_HD-Project through 010_HD-Project. Other folders listed are 5 panels, Bonus Content, Corel DVD Factory, 14.0, 15.0, 18.0. I know to leave 14.0, 15.0, and 18.0 alone since they contain data. I also think I need to leave DFSmartProxy alone too. But those other folders seem out of place to me. Why are, what I call "program folders" here? I even have folders flametitle, grunge, multicolorpanels, lighting, vertpanels 1 through 5 here. Should I delete those on the D drive or wait until I download Pro X8 again and see if those folders are on the C Drive, where the VideoStudio Pro X8 program files are to be located? On September 8th I created "Jan Video Folders" in that D Drive Public Documents folder to store my projects.

I will carry on deleting any old programs/stuff I don't use or need anymore based on what the TreeSize Free found. I am beginning to feel like a packrat! Over the years while working and trying to edit videos, I don't think I developed a system of cleaning up after completing a project. Early on I didn't understand the video creation/data storage system and lost a project before it was finished. Bummer. Will keep plugging along. I think I need to change my user name to Idiot1954.
canuck
operating_system: Windows 8.1

Post by canuck »

I hope you are not just simply deleting folders and files but are doing a proper uninstall. A simple delete will likely corrupt your whole system.
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi Jan
As Canuck, take care when removing files
I'm a little confused with your reference to the D drive and the Documents folder,

The folders you are referring to 001_HD-Project etc and flametitle, grunge, multicolorpanels, lighting, vertpanels 1
are either Instant Projects or Fast Flick Templates, all should be saved to the VSPTemplate folder
You will see those templates from the program Library - second icon on the vertical menu
Even so they are quite small in mb rather than Gb
Besides they are on the D Drive, I think which is unusual.

Ok
What Corel Programs do you actually have installed on your PC
You show 14.0, 15,0 and 18.0, they are VS X4, VS X5 and VS X8

Have you moved the location of the Documents folder from C Drive to D Drive
When you install Video Studio did you install to the default location on the C Drive.

Files on the D Drive should not be a problem other than a bit of file management, its the C Drive that was small?
Regards Trevor
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

Only when jan show here an image of it's C tree we can understand.
with Program Data folder at 66 Gb it surly inflated with cache.
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Thanks Asik
relieved to find you also feel the 66Gb is very large for the Program Data folder
Regards Trevor