motherboard: Systemboard with Intel H57 Express Chipset
processor: Intel[R] Core[TM] i7-9700 CPU 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
ram: 16 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 T
Monitor/Display Make & Model: DELL P2018H
Corel programs: VideoStudio Pro X8

How to Use Pro X8 on Computer With Small C Drive

Post by Jan1954 »

I replaced my 10 year old computer with one that has a small C Drive for programs, etc. and a large D Drive for data. How do I open and edit video in Pro X8 since the data will not be on the same drive as the software?
:mrgreen:
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Re: How to Use Pro X8 on Computer With Small C Drive

Post by Ken Berry »

I assume the D: drive is part of the computer and permanently connected. If so there should be no problem. With VS on your C: drive, you Insert Media the same way as usual -- just browse in VS to the relevant folder(s) on the D: drive and select it. I'd also make sure your Working Folder in Preferences is set to the D: drive as well.
Ken Berry
Jan1954

Post by Jan1954 »

Yes it in there with the C drive. I think you are telling me to make sure in Pro X8 that I edit my preferences to show the "working folder" is on the D drive?

I will take a look. Thanks!
Jan1954

Post by Jan1954 »

What do I need to add in addition to the "D...." drive? Go all the way to where the current project folder is, or just to the folder "My Projects?"
My audio preference shows C:\mjini\OneDrive\Documents\Corel VideoStudio Pro\18.0\VoiceOver\

The audio preferences, I am assuming was a default. I used a software program to move all my stuff from the old to the new computer, so I don't know how much cleaning up I will have to do. At least I have something to keep me busy while sheltered in place.

I just finished updating my computer profile and then saw your message Ken. I have been away from video editing for a long time and so I am going to be dumb for quite a while, or forever!

Thanks!
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

I'm not sure how you got the audio preference set to One Drive, but that at least would mean things are not going to your C: drive. Otherwise, just change over anything you can find to the D: drive. You won't be able to change or delete the default folders that are created in C:\Documents. If you delete them they are just created again when you reopen VS. And when you are creating a new project, just manually make sure when you have gone to Save or Save As that you choose a folder in D: rather than the default it offers in C:\Documents.
Ken Berry
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

Hi
I do the same as Ken mentions, all my programs are installed to my C Drive
All my video files, images etc. are imported / saved to my D Drive
When I start a new project I first create a new folder on the D Drive giving it a meaningful name to ID the project
All files associated with that project, my camera footages are imported to that folder.
Start another project I create another folder
When I open Video Studio I insert the video files to the timeline to start my project
File Save As will allow me to save the project as a .vsp selecting the folder on the D Drive.
The project files .vsp are quite small and will have little impact on the C Drive usage.

There are preferences that we can set, press F6 (settings preferences), here we can allocate the working folder, I have created a folder on my D Drive aptly called “Working Folders”
Smart Proxy
From F6 performance tab I see the Smart Proxy is using the C drive, again a folder on the D Drive called Smart Proxy is used, as I have multiple VS programs installed that folder is used for all.

Burning a disc,
this option has its own separate working folder on the C drive, this should be changed to the D Drive, assuming you wish to burn a dvd disc.
Regards Trevor
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

Jan, if you are short on C, start by deleting unnecessary languages from VS and other programs.
you can gain 1-2gigs .

** Have you done Disk cleanup lately?
Last edited by asik1 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Post by Davidk »

Jan,
Something you haven't said is just how small your new C drive is: just that C is small and D is large. If your bio data is correct, the PC is a desktop with 1Tb of storage. That's a lot of store available: if it's all in one hard drive, maybe you should think about re-partitioning the hard drive to make C larger (and as a consequence, D smaller).
If the PC has 2 drives and one (C) is just small, (eg an SSD), a C drive capacity of 150gb (on a new PC, I doubt that the drive capacity would be this small) should be more than enough to install the program component of Pro X8 on. Configure the preferences to use D for workspace and audio folders, and especially for any proxy files.

In any event, after installation, make sure that there is at least 25% of the C hard drive space unused or you may find the performance slows down because the paging file is doing a lot of swapping.
Jan1954

Post by Jan1954 »

I think when I updated my new computer properties in this Forum, there was only one spot for the Drive capacity, so I put in the D drive. The C Drive is SSD. The C Drive capacity, is 221 GB, but now has only 19.9 GB free (9% yikes). The D Drive capacity is 931 GB. I used PCMover to move everything over to the new computer and wonder if that was such a good idea...

On Tuesday (after spending time since Friday, the 21st with software problems), a Windows tech person found my Windows 10 was corrupt! The tech fixed that. I think that happened after moving
all the files over to the new computer. Needless to say, I was so busy trying to fix problems that I have not performed a disk clean since I started working on the new computer in mid-June. No excuse I know. At least I created a rescue disk and have done some backups. This past week I was informed by Corel that Microsoft 2012 Visual C++ was corrupt so that and other files had to be fixed. Since I did not upgrade my old computer to Windows 10 until December, 2018, and did a little Video Studio work after that, I did not know about those issues.

Since everyone has provided recommendations and I have lots to address, I will print them all out and get things in order.

Ken: I did start to change the preferences to D, but realized I did not have D ready to direct Video Studio where to go. With the comments in this Forum, I know what to do about that mapping.

Thanks for everyone's input. I will give an update later, if I survive all this.
RobertOZ
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A86 1.04E01
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 5770
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 32" IPS LED (Main) HP 23fi IPS LED
Corel programs: VSX4-X10 VS 2018/2019/2020 & MS 3D

Post by RobertOZ »

You should review just what you currently have installed on your SSD, when I look at what I have installed on the SSD, it only totals 182GB and includes, Win 10 OS, VS2020 Ultimate, Pinnacle Studio 23 Ultimate, PaintShop Pro (32bit & 64Bit), Painter 2019, PhotoMirage, Painter Essentials, AfterShot Pro, Movie Studio 16 Platinum, Motion Studio 3D, plus many other programs, but all project files are stored on D: drive.
You could also consider upgrading your SSD drive, my laptop had an original 250GB Type 2280 SSD M.2 which for a cost of AU$219 I upgraded to a Crucial 1TB MX500 M2 2280, and I consider that a very reasonable upgrade
Dell 7567,Win 10(2004) i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5, drives, 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Samsung 28" 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor
PS24 Ultimate, PSP 2020, PhotoMirage, Painter 2020, VS 2018 Ult, VS2021 Ult MultiCam Capture XL
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Post by Davidk »

One thing to check on your SSD C drive is the space assigned for restore points.
I normally have this set for 5%, or about 10Gb, which is more than enough for 4 or 5 restore points.
When I converted my 160gb HDD C: to a 250Gb SSD somehow that space for restore points had become set to 100%, and the spare space I thought I would have was gradually eaten away by those things. Did not notice this for about 8months and one day I checked the available space, expecting about 50%, alarmed to see 5%. A fair bit of to-and-fro with the windows geeks, and the situation with restore points was exposed.
Easy to fix - just get into control panel/system/system protection tab and in the protection settings area,
1. scroll to and select the C drive, and ensure protection is On
2. click on the configure button and when the panel appears check that the scroll bar is set correctly: if not, click and drag to the desired numbers and then click apply.
3. OK to exit.
If you have too many restore points stored, the oldest ones are removed first until the ones left fit into the space you specified.
Probably need to re-boot for the changed setting to take effect, and if this was the situation you had, the expected available space should now be available : select C drive, rt click, choose properties, confirm the amount of free space.

This can also happen if you update some drivers in the system, eg for the display or the display adapter GPU
Jan1954

Post by Jan1954 »

Hello Everyone,

I was able to free up space on the small (SSD) C Drive by removing a Windows.old folder, created after the corrupted Windows 10 was reinstalled (on 8/26). I have 54.9 GB free of 221 or 24.8% and will be able to increase that free space. I moved the folder Corel VideoStudio Pro to D:Users>Owner>Public Documents>. This Corel VideoStudio Profolder contains Corel files such as 001_HD-Project..., 5panels, 14.0, 15.0, 18.0, DFSmartProxy, lighting, My Projects, etc. However, I put my latest project files under D:Users>Owner>Public Documents>Jan Documents>Corel VideoStudio Pro>My Projects, and this Corel VideoStudio Pro folder also contains the folder 18.0 (with a empty VoiceOver folder, and an empty VSPTemplate folder), and I don't know how the folder 18.0 got there. When I try to open my new project Title (created 2 years ago), or video from the thumbnails, I received the message "Insufficient memory [15036:0:0]. If I select a photo, it appears diagonally across the screen. My Preferences working folder is D:Users>Owner>Public Documents>Jan Documents>Corel VideoStudio Pro>My Projects. Right now my Audio working folder is D:\Users\Owner\Public Documents\Corel VideoStudio Pro. Needless to say, things are messy. Should I move the stuff I placed under Jan Documents to D:Users>Owner>Public Documents>Corel VideoStudio Pro>My Projects and remove the documents from a previous project? Do I need that second empty 18.0 folder in Jan Documents?

I don't understand where My Projects folder needs to be mapped to in regard to D:Users>Owner>Public Documents>Corel VideoStudio Pro (where the Corel files such as 001_HD-Project, 5panels, 14.0, 15.0, 18.0, DFSmartProxy, lightins, My Projects, etc. are found). I really don't understand Corel's filing system.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think using PCMover when I replaced my old computer has created more headaches for me than I anticipated since I am not high tech computer savvy.
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

Hi John
Another post here discussing the same topic, maybe worth a read
https://forum.corel.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 77#p381274
Regards Trevor
Jan1954

Post by Jan1954 »

Thanks! I will read that post.
Jan1954

Post by Jan1954 »

To Asik1: You recommended I get rid of languages I don't need. I only need English. I have a folder called Lang with the subfolders CT, DE, EN, FR, IT, JP, NL. I can figure out JP stands for Japanese, etc. So you are recommending I delete CT, DE, FR, IT, JP, and NL? That would just leave the folder, EN, which I am assuming stands for English?