operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Asus Z97-P
processor: i5-4690K 3.5Ghz 4 core
ram: 32BG
Video Card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Hard_Drive_Capacity: SSD 500GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: dual (letterbox LED and 19"LED)
Corel programs: X7..VS 2019 Ultimate

System spec advice ~£2000

Post by zaphodikus »

Still deciding on my budget, but time to upgrade from my i5-4690 to a DDR4 machine. I'm not doing a lot of video editing at all, but found the render times just a bit too much a barrier even with 32GB or ram. I only do 2K renders, but I love to multi-track and often my 10 minute clips take most of an hour. I don't use the audio filters, I do all my audio layout in Audacity. Been going through this thread https://forum.corel.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67217 for hints on how to optimise system spend, so far I have:
> Obviously i9 or equivalent AMD Rysen, happy to ditch my love of Intel at this stage.
> Do I need to spend big on graphics card? what budget cards "deliver" with the "hardware acceleration" rendering turned on? I mean I play a lot of games, but not enough to want to spend £500 on a graphics card. Is the nvidia 1060 good enough for editing?
> NVMe SSD stick. I'm going to also obviously spec out a motherboard supporting these.
> 20Gb or so of DDR4

Basically my main ask, what budget graphics cards have worked best for hardware accelerated renders?
Do most folk recommend to go for AMD Ryzen?
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Re: System spec advice ~£2000

Post by asik1 »

Save your £ for your i12 or Rysen8xxx,
VS hardly uses the GPU for render.
Once you decide to move else were , than it can make a change.
zaphodikus
motherboard: Asus Z97-P
processor: i5-4690K 3.5Ghz 4 core
ram: 32BG
Video Card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Hard_Drive_Capacity: SSD 500GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: dual (letterbox LED and 19"LED)
Corel programs: X7..VS 2019 Ultimate

Post by zaphodikus »

Will definitely spend the graphics card money on a reliable NVMe, good to know.

I can afford a 16 core processor, and although VS renders using all 4 cores now, am I safe to assume that 16 cores will be almost 4x fastererer, even before you take into account the slight improvement on clock speed and memory bandwidth? Do people with more cores get significant benefit?
excalibur1814
motherboard: Asus xyz
processor: 9700k
ram: 32GB
Video Card: nVidia 1660
sound_card: Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: M.2 x3
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC U3477PQU
Corel programs: Videostudio 2019, PSP 2020

Post by excalibur1814 »

Okay, the ideal system would be as follows:

-Fastest single core speed you can find. (5.0Ghz or near). 6/10/474 cores... not that essential for VS.
-16Gb minimum as that's standard. VS won't really use much of it anyway.
-3x M.2. drives (1 for system, 1 for your working projects and 1 for your finished media as a scratch drive/proxy) (Or 2x M.2. and 1 sata SSD)
-Whatever graphics card as VS usually crashes when creating the finished project via nvidia etc. (On my system it does)

Corel Videostudio kind of ignores the hardware you throw at it. Hopefully VS 2021 will focus on raw performance (unlikely).

Tip: When running Corel, press Ctrl+Alt+Del, task manager. Details tab. Find vsstudio. Right click, set priority and change to Realtime.
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

Extra Tip to Excalibur, put that .bat file in your VS folder, shortcut to desktop and save few clicks.
Attachments
RTVS.zip
(177 Bytes) Downloaded 24 times
HKTee
processor: AMD Ryzen 3900X
ram: 16gb
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB NVME

Post by HKTee »

I selected my new computer spec because I wanted fairly decent VideoStudio render times.

I chose AMD Ryzen 3900x ‐ 12cores (each dual threaded), this seemed to give really good processing speed, less heat and less power watts than other similar. (I'm not a gamer otherwise I would have looked towards highest single CPU speed)
I use mid memory speed (DDR4 3200mhz) 16gb - this is ample for Windows and VS.
The graphics card is a cheap nvida 2gb (again, as I don't play games).
The biggest speed increase (I think) is from the NVME M.2 1Tb main disc drive - sub 5 seconds from switch on to entering Windows 10 password.

Render times in VS2020 are very good (time will tell as I only tested so far with small videos), so much faster than my previous "old" computers. To quantify, a 20 minute render on my old computer takes less than 1 minutes on the new.

I tend to use the NVME drive for windows and, of course, VS program and temp files, normally directing the output of rendered videos to my 4TB secondary HDD drive. Input video can be from either HDD or NVME, it doesn't seem to make much differenceto render times.

Total hardware cost was around £1200 including BluRay writer.
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Post by tletter »

HKTee wrote:I chose AMD Ryzen 3900x ‐ 12cores (each dual threaded), this seemed to give really good processing speed, less heat and less power watts than other similar.
As a test I rendered the same long VSP on two SSD-equipped systems: one a AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16 cores) with an NVIDIA RTX 2080; and the other an Intel i7-8086K (6 cores) with an NVIDIA GTX 1070. I noticed no significant difference between the rendering times of the two. As well, I didn't see VS fully utilizing the available cores. In short, it seems that VS performance mostly driven by the CPU clock frequency, and currently Intel CPUs can be overclocked more the AMD Ryzens.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
Last edited by tletter on Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HKTee
processor: AMD Ryzen 3900X
ram: 16gb
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB NVME

Post by HKTee »

tletter wrote:I didn't see VS fully utilizing the available cores. In short, it seems that VS performance mostly driven by the CPU clock frequency, and currently Intel CPUs can be overclock more the AMD Ryzens
Agreed, I see all cores are used during render, but nothing like 100% - I chose 3900x over the 3950x because it has a higher (un-overclocked) clock speed - overclocking is the work of the devil ( ;-) ) and probably means thinking about spending even more on cooling.
It's all a trade off and price does come into it - as I sometimes run several virtual machines, the increased cores of ryzen over intel sealed the deal (as did the £250 cost saving!).
Were the SSD's you were running standard SSD - I think the biggest increase in my video render speed is due to the fast data transfer rates with NVME m.2, incredible magic!
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Post by tletter »

HKTee wrote:Were the SSD's you were running standard SSD - I think the biggest increase in my video render speed is due to the fast data transfer rates with NVME m.2, incredible magic!
NVMe. However, I've noticed no difference in rendering whether to local SSD or HDD or to a NAS. Where I've experienced performance gains is during the editing phase. In short, VS is very picky about what system components increase overall performance, probably because Corel hasn't updated VS's core to take advantage of most hardware advances made in the past decade, e.g. no or limited use of a discrete GPU.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
TonyP
motherboard: Gigabtye X570 Elite
processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12core 24threads
ram: 32GB 3200
Video Card: MSI Gaming X RX480 8GB
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 10TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 27" IPS 4k, Acer 24" 1920x1080
Corel programs: VS2020, PSP2019, Aftershot 3

Post by TonyP »

I built my computer with the idea that I use other software too. To leverage the power of the system. More and more, NLE's are starting to use more of the GPU for timeline playback and exporting the file video. It's much faster. That is, "if" the software makes use of it.

CVS is lacking in AMD graphics support. Something that should have been addressed. Here is where I have a beef with their advertising. HEVC. From the website:
HEVC (H.265) support requires Windows 10, supporting PC hardware or graphics card and Microsoft HEVC video extension installed

My computer meets those specs with the GPU, I have HEVC video extension installed, yet, GPU is not supported. That was my complaint with Pinnacle Studio too. Saying they support HEVC, but in reality, they didn't fully because they didn't support AMD graphics cards.. Now they do, and there is a HUGE difference in timeline playback and export speed.

While Nvidia holds a lion's share of the graphics card market, to dismiss the 20% that are AMD is callous and will cause people to look to else where, where AMD is supported.
CVS Ultimate has great features and an easy learning curve. But they do need to catch up with hardware.