Can I use the After Effect Core processor?

Moderator: Ken Berry

Kaizes

Can I use the After Effect Core processor?

Post by Kaizes »

I plan to buy a computer to make promotional videos on, but I can only buy computers running i3, so I want to ask if the computer I will buy is can I use it smoothly?
Last edited by Kaizes on Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tletter
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Re: Can I use the After Effect Core processor?

Post by tletter »

Kaizes wrote:I plan to buy a computer to make promotional videos, but I can only buy computers running i3, so I want to ask if the computer I will buy is can I use it smoothly?
What your asking isn't clear but I'm assuming that you're asking if a i3 is a good choice to run some version of VS. My answer is that it depends on what you're using VS to process. If you're only creating small slideshows then it'll be fine. However, if you're planning to process 4K videos then an i3 will be found wanting and an i7 or i9 is recommended.
Kaizes wrote:operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: U
Suggest that your new computer runs Win 10 and that you put the system drive on C:

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
BelovedEverything

Post by BelovedEverything »

An i3 OS cannot download an After Effect video-only app
tletter

Post by tletter »

BelovedEverything wrote: An i3 OS cannot download an After Effect video-only app
There is no such thing as an "i3 OS". Be that as it may, an i3 has been multicore from the get-go and capable of running Windows 10 (64 bit), so it can meet the following system requirements of Adobe After Effects CC 15.1:
  1. Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
  2. Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (64 bit), Windows 8.1 (64 bit), or Windows 10 (64 bit)
  3. 8GB of RAM (16GB recommended)
  4. 5GB of available hard-disk space; additional free space required during installation
  5. Additional disk space for disk cache (10GB recommended)
  6. 1280x1080 display
  7. Optional: Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated ray-traced 3D renderer
Depending on the task at hand, the performance of an i3 might be marginal however, it's impacted by other system components, e.g. SSD, but that's another issue.

tletter
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

tletter -- you'll perhaps notice I have changed BelovedEverything's colour to purple. That's because our system has detected them as being a spammer. I have also deactivated their account, but have left that post since your reply to it is useful as always.
Ken Berry
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio: 5 old versions + 2021

Post by Davidk »

I've been running a core-i3 since 2015, and never had an issue traceable to the cpu, on win7 or win10 when running 7 versions of VS
core i7/i9 et al are usually designators for several more cpu cores per chip: the higher the i number, the more cores there are. However, since VS has never claimed to, or managed to use more than one core at a time, having a multi core computer - beyond the base which is i3 - is not going to help you much: those extra core will be in an idle loop.
What may improve your result substantially in order of effect is
1. a faster clock on the cpu - if it's a desktop, something around 4ghz on the motherboard can be had easily now; laptops don't go near this.
2. lots of RAM - 16gb or more
3. an SSD for your C drive

Last, a comment: the effect of running an ordinary i3 rather than something with more grunt is that tasks will take longer to do, not that they won't get done.
tletter

Post by tletter »

Davidk wrote:However, since VS has never claimed to, or managed to use more than one core at a time, having a multi core computer - beyond the base which is i3 - is not going to help you much: those extra core will be in an idle loop.
That's odd as Task Manager shows that all 6 cores of an i7 are engaged whilst rendering. The problem is that utilization of the cores is generally well below 100%.
erase.jpg
It's also worthwhile to note that VS uses many 3rd party filters, some of which fully engage all cores at or near 100% utilization. Hence a user may well benefit from more than the four cores that recent i3 have.
Davidk wrote:a faster clock on the cpu - if it's a desktop, something around 4ghz on the motherboard can be had easily now; laptops don't go near this.
There are laptops that can run at over 4GHz such as the one shown in the image above which is running at 4.4GHz. This laptop is running the same Core i7-8086K that desktops run (see https://eurocom.com/).

tletter