Video Card Advice

Video Card Advice

Postby wlopatin » Thu May 07, 2020 8:47 pm

I am thinking of getting a new computer and looking at a DELL XPS. I will get it with 500GM SSD and move my 3TB HDD from my older system. The question is what video card should I get: Dell has many choices:
all NVIDIA GFORCE,
GT 1030 w/2GB
GTX 1650 w/4GB
GTX 1060 w/3GB
GTX 1660 w/6GB
GTX 1660Ti w/6GB
RTX 2020 w/6GB
I have them listed in order of price. VS 2018 is my editing software. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance...
wlopatin

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Dell XPS8930
processor: Intel I9
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.5 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2018

Re: Video Card Advice

Postby tletter » Thu May 07, 2020 9:06 pm

wlopatin wrote:The question is what video card should I get ... VS 2018 is my editing software.

VS2018 doesn't leverage a GPU to any significant degree so you should base your GPU decision on other software that may leverage a GPU.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
tletter

processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Postby wlopatin » Fri May 08, 2020 3:21 pm

Does that mean that any video card will work as well as any other. I am surprised because I always thought I needed a good card for video work. Are there other programs that work better or faster with better cards? Does the VRAM size even make a difference.
Have I been wrong all these years and spending money on video unnecessarily.

Thanks everyone, I always get great advice from this forum.
wlopatin

Postby asik1 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:49 pm

It's not your fault, it's just that VS's dev team can't get themselves to write the correct code.
Do you do 4K/8K ? hobbyist or pro?
asik1

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Postby wlopatin » Fri May 08, 2020 4:46 pm

Nothing that serious. Just a hobby and most video's I make are from our trips; the last one to Iceland. But I do have fun with VS2018 and add special effects, split screen, etc.
wlopatin

Postby wlopatin » Sat May 09, 2020 3:06 pm

If VS2018 does not use the GPU, does the amount of VRAM make any difference?
Is there other video editing software that does use a GPU?
I have been using VS and it's earlier forms for about 15 years.
wlopatin

Postby pvreditor » Sat May 09, 2020 4:32 pm

wlopatin wrote:If VS2018 does not use the GPU, does the amount of VRAM make any difference?
Is there other video editing software that does use a GPU?
I have been using VS and it's earlier forms for about 15 years.

I thought that VideoStudio does use the GPU, going back many versions. However, I don't know that for sure.

I do know that Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve uses a GPU, and they recommend Nvidia GTX 1060 and higher with 6GB VRAM. I have a GTX 1050 with 4GB of VRAM and Resolve will sometimes gasp for air editing HD material with a few layers. Even after generating proxies.
pvreditor

processor: Intel i7
ram: 24GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB

Postby pepegota » Sun May 10, 2020 5:57 pm

If you were ever to do 4k editing you will need a powerful machine. For 360 video editing, and the coming 8k consumer cameras, a robust machine is mandated. Presently, there is only one consumer 360 that is 8k and that is the Kandao, Qoocam. To keep up with the future I just purchased an Intel i9 computer with a GTX 1660 with 6 gig of ram.
I would recommend that you consider looking into what AVADirect offers. You can customize the computer to your needs and that includes all price ranges-far better than Dell. I have been purchasing computers from them for years and they provide excellent service.
http://www.avadirect.com
Good luck with with new machine.
Last edited by pepegota on Wed May 27, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pepegota

motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390-Plus
processor: Intel i9 - 9900k
ram: 64 GB
Video Card: GTX 1660 6GB
sound_card: On board sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Ben Q, "21" LCD
Corel programs: VS 2018, VS 2019, VS 2020

Postby excalibur1814 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Whenever I enable CUDA encoding... the application shuts down. That leaves intel.

Corel often makes me laugh as some of the issues just continue with each version.
excalibur1814

ram: 32GB
Video Card: nVidia 980
sound_card: Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC U3477PQU
Corel programs: Videostudio x10, PSP 2018

Postby Davidk » Thu May 28, 2020 1:44 am

The use of a video card and other hardware features to speed up performance of VS has been addressed many time in this forum. So to summarise the outlines of that and confirm some of what has already been said here
- modern processors have multiple cores on chip - that is, several independent cpu's all capable of computing functions. The number of cores is often part of the cpu name - eg, core i3, core i7 etc
- Video studio uses only one of them, demonstrated many times using the various performance tools available. Complained about ad infinitum. Only Corel knows why, altho the users speculate disinterest by the corporation. Doing this would not only speed things up but necessitate fixing a lot of issues that have long been ignored.
- Intel chips have since 2011 had an on-chip video processor; only needs software to use it. In VS 2019 and later, the intel hardware acceleration option does that, however the benefit is short - impressive for short duration compute intensive tasks, but for longer ones, the benefit abates quickly as the task length increases. Generally for routine edit tasks in VS, not really noticeable, but for rendering - usually very noticeable.
- using a video card - will usually mean using an AmD/nvidia unit (market share = 70% worldwide). The video processor and RAM on that card can be used as an assistant to the main cpu with the right driver. BUT, VS only allows Intel or Nvidia alternatives for hardware acceleration - one or the other.
- Tests with nvidia cards don't seem to offer any measurable advantages over the Intel approach. There are many reports where hardware acceleration actually causes problems and has to be dis-abled.
- for faster computer performance, over all the years since windows 3 for any application, the most reliable indicator of that is a faster cpu clock rate. Particularly true for Video studio.
- helping the cpu go faster is lots of RAM. A 32bit cpu is technically limited to 4Gb - any more is just a waste of money, but for 64bit devices, the more RAM the better. There was a report several years ago that testing with 32gb RAM made "VS just fly"
- if you are using a bog-standard computer with HDD and the default installation of Video studio, everything goes onto the C drive, where any usage of program and data also competes with the operating system for disk usage. And as a result there's a bottleneck in the HDD called access time - small slivers of time spent waiting for the disk to spin to the point where data can be written or read by the calling software. Those little delays mount up quickly, but the effect can be minimised with a lot of RAM that allows many disk-resident stuff to be loaded into RAM memory. An SSD (sold state drive - basically a lot of RAM with a disk interface) as an alternative to HDD eliminates access time, and is now much more affordable.

So, unless you are also addicted a shoot-em-up video game where a video card makes a difference, a simple recipe to speeding up VS is:
- buy a 64bit computer with a really fast cpu clock rate, currently this would be something in excess of 4ghz. Currently, this probably means a desktop as I haven't seen any laptops in this range
- put lots and lots of RAM in it, go for 16gb or more
- use SSD storage
Davidk

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3.7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Postby Davidk » Thu May 28, 2020 1:49 am

The use of a video card and other hardware features to speed up performance of VS has been addressed many time in this forum. So to summarise the outlines of that and confirm some of what has already been said here
- modern processors have multiple cores on chip - that is, several independent cpu's all capable of computing functions. The number of cores is often part of the cpu name - eg, core i3, core i7 etc
- Video studio uses only one of them, demonstrated many times using the various performance tools available. Complained about ad infinitum. Only Corel knows why, altho the users speculate disinterest by the corporation. Doing this would not only speed things up but necessitate fixing a lot of issues that have long been ignored.
- Intel chips have since 2011 had an on-chip video processor; only needs software to use it. In VS 2019 and later, the intel hardware acceleration option does that, however the benefit is short - impressive for short duration compute intensive tasks, but for longer ones, the benefit abates quickly as the task length increases. Generally for routine edit tasks in VS, not really noticeable, but for rendering - usually very noticeable.
- using a video card - will usually mean using an AmD/nvidia unit (market share = 70% worldwide). The video processor and RAM on that card can be used as an assistant to the main cpu with the right driver. BUT, VS only allows Intel or Nvidia alternatives for hardware acceleration - one or the other.
- Tests with nvidia cards don't seem to offer any measurable advantages over the Intel approach. There are many reports where hardware acceleration actually causes problems and has to be dis-abled.
- for faster computer performance, over all the years since windows 3 for any application, the most reliable indicator of that is a faster cpu clock rate. Particularly true for Video studio.
- helping the cpu go faster is lots of RAM. A 32bit cpu is technically limited to 4Gb - any more is just a waste of money, but for 64bit devices, the more RAM the better. There was a report several years ago that testing with 32gb RAM made "VS just fly"
- if you are using a bog-standard computer with HDD and the default installation of Video studio, everything goes onto the C drive, where any usage of program and data also competes with the operating system for disk usage. And as a result there's a bottleneck in the HDD called access time - small slivers of time spent waiting for the disk to spin to the point where data can be written or read by the calling software. Those little delays mount up quickly, but the effect can be minimised with a lot of RAM that allows many disk-resident stuff to be loaded into RAM memory. An SSD (sold state drive - basically a lot of RAM with a disk interface) as an alternative to HDD eliminates access time, and is now much more affordable.

So, unless you are also addicted a shoot-em-up video game where a video card makes a difference, a simple recipe to speeding up VS is:
- buy a 64bit computer with a really fast cpu clock rate, currently this would be something in excess of 4ghz. Currently, this probably means a desktop as I haven't seen any laptops in this range
- put lots and lots of RAM in it, go for 16gb or more
- use SSD storage
Davidk

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3.7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Postby tletter » Thu May 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Davidk wrote:- buy a 64bit computer with a really fast cpu clock rate, currently this would be something in excess of 4ghz. Currently, this probably means a desktop as I haven't seen any laptops in this range

If the computer is newly manufactured, then this isn't an issue since no 32-bit laptop or desktop computers have been mainstream manufactured since about 2017. If you're buying a secondhand computer then check whether it's running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows by running "sysinfo". There are manufacturers of high performance laptops, e.g. Eurocom, which leverage desktop CPUs such as the Intel i9-9900 (unlocked).
Davidk wrote:- put lots and lots of RAM in it, go for 16gb or more

VS isn't really a memory hog and in fact Corel only recommends a minimum of 4 GB with 8 GB for HD and UHD videos. A major driver of RAM usage is what else you're running concurrently with VS, e.g. Chrome is a huge memory hog.
Davidk wrote:- use SSD storage

A NVMe SSD is generally a better performer than a SATA SSD.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
tletter

processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Postby gecoqehe » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:35 am

wlopatin wrote:I am thinking of getting a new computer and looking at a DELL XPS. I will get it with 500GM SSD and move my 3TB HDD from my older system. The question is what video card should I get: Dell has many choices:
all NVIDIA GFORCE,
GT 1030 w/2GB
GTX 1650 w/4GB
GTX 1060 w/3GB
GTX 1660 w/6GB
GTX 1660Ti w/6GB
RTX 2020 w/6GB
I have them listed in order of price. VS 2018 is my editing software. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

I'm also interested in a graphics card for work. I will leave a message here to read all the answers later.
gecoqehe

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional

Postby excalibur1814 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:56 am

"There was a report several years ago that testing with 32gb RAM made "VS just fly"

I have a 9700k machine with 32Gb ram, along with 3x Samsung M.2 drives.

VS is still a dog until you set the process to real time. It hardly uses any of the above ram. Heck, it's almost the exact same experience (editing) on my Surface Pro 7 (quad) when compared to the 9700k. It's just an awful application at times, that I (for some reason) continue to use. Corel really needs to just fix the small issues and then improve performance. Heck, THAT would be a great marketing thing for VS 2021.

As to answer the exact question:
I'd get a 6Gb 1060. If you don't game at all, then a 4Gb 1650 would also be perfectly fine.

Another alternative would be to 'save' money and get the 1030. Once the 30** cards appear, you could then grab a cheaper 2060 card from eBay. Just an option.
excalibur1814

ram: 32GB
Video Card: nVidia 980
sound_card: Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC U3477PQU
Corel programs: Videostudio x10, PSP 2018

Postby pepegota » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:27 pm

I have other programs that can use the ram from Power Director to ancillary programs such as Morpheus Photo, Morpher, Green Screen wizard, etc. Therefore, I would not limit my capability to VS standards. See my setup.
excalibur1814's advice is sound.
pepegota

motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390-Plus
processor: Intel i9 - 9900k
ram: 64 GB
Video Card: GTX 1660 6GB
sound_card: On board sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Ben Q, "21" LCD