32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 16Gb
Video Card: NVidia GTX 460
sound_card: Integrated
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG Flatron

Re: So many issues with Video Studio 2019

Post by MikeA »

I agree totally with the sentiments expressed above. For years I used VS and it was wonderfully reliable. Now it stinks. Version 2019 is now crashing all the time, and I'm not doing anything complex! It has just crashed twice while creating a movie file for me. If you can't create a movie, what's the use of this software?! There's oddities that have been around a while now, like the corrupted video message I get when I try to drop a clip (or even a still!) down on to the first overlay track. Try it again - no longer corrupted! A miracle! Then, as noted above there's weird stuff with the cursor and clip placement. Delete a clip and the cursor runs off to the start. Insert a clip to an overlay track and it gets placed in the wrong position. Pan and zoom acts weirdly sometimes, with the frame not showing correctly. And so on. What is going on? How could they destroy a good product in this way??
Davidk
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio: 5 old versions + 2021

Post by Davidk »

Alas, you touch a pretty raw nerve. In a user forum it would be unusual to read stories of roses; brickbats are the norm, because users have problems that need fixing. And here you will find users complaining about
- unexplained crashes in the later (2018 also affected - when the revised UI was included in the program) versions
- un-listening Corel - crashes and complaints advised but ignored
- un-fixed bugs - everyone has some of those; I have reported bugs in 2018 and 2019, sometimes the same bug in both, un-fixed, and not just in "new" features but in basics that have worked for years - until the new UI. Some of them were 'introduced' by service packs not properly tested.
- performance issues complained of for years - Corel must be the only vendor of editing software that has not sped their software up by using multiple cores of the cpu available: most motherboards or PC's have them now - and it's easy to check how many are available. Other software I use - the Firefox browser, for example - did this 2 years ago and got a speed increase of 2+
- Corel doesn't provide any feedback
- the customer service centre may as well not be there for all the help they don't provide
and so on.
Feel for the admins who field these issues - I know they are a pissed off as the users who post, and no doubt the users who silently slip away.
It always seems to be the future. Future be damned - VideoStudio is now accumulating solid reputation for unreliable. Read the posts. How many users are abandoning the latest version? and for how long will they be willing to fall behind the competitive curve for reliable software before bailing out of VideoStudio completely . . . . .
NostalgiaNerd

Post by NostalgiaNerd »

It's sad.

It's hard to know what the issue is, but it feels like they're bringing in developers, who aren't familiar with the product, and don't understand how changing one thing can unbalance the entire product. I suspect they're just not giving them enough resources or time.

I've used VideoStudio for about 10 years, and I really don't want to bail, but the latest release feels like the hammer, just tapping that nail in the coffin, and I fear there's no slide puller on the other side.

@CorelSupport asked me to DM them, which I've now done, so I'll wait to see what they say. But Vegas Pro is looking mighty tempting at the moment.
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Post by tletter »

NostalgiaNerd wrote:It's hard to know what the issue is
Corel seems to have sacked the QA people or simply ignored their feedback.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
Chaofei
motherboard: ASRock H61M U3S3
processor: Intel I5-3570
Video Card: Nvidia GTS -1050
sound_card: Realtek onboard sound
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung 22 Inch
Corel programs: Corel Videostudio X9 Ultimate

Post by Chaofei »

The most feel sad for me is : no auto remove gap on the main timeline !
Desertsweeper
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: ASUS x99 WS10
processor: Intel Core i7-6850K
ram: 32GB
Video Card: nVidia Quadro P1000
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB NVMe
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 3 x ASUS 27" QHD Displays
Corel programs: VS 2018 Ultimate and Graphics X7

Post by Desertsweeper »

Just popped in too see what has been happening with my old favorite and see not much...am very happy with my move to a cheap competitive product three months ago. WAY better than VS. They pushed me away and now I thank them.
NostalgiaNerd

Post by NostalgiaNerd »

Desertsweeper wrote:Just popped in too see what has been happening with my old favorite and see not much...am very happy with my move to a cheap competitive product three months ago. WAY better than VS. They pushed me away and now I thank them.
What did you go with?
Telmo
motherboard: Asrock H370M Pro-4
processor: Intel Intel I7 8700 4.6 Ghz
ram: 16 GB DDR4
Video Card: Geforce Gtx 1060 Gigabyte 6GB Windforce
sound_card: C3 Tech
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 Tera SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Realtek High Definition Audio
Corel programs: Videostudio 2019 Ultimate

Post by Telmo »

Desertsweeper wrote:...am very happy with my move to a cheap competitive product three months ago. WAY better than VS. They pushed me away and now I thank them.
May I ask which Video Editor you are referring to ?? Could you share your editing experience with it?? How happy are you about??
asik1
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

I don't know what Desert chose, no software is flawless. I can say that for me by adding VMS16P, editing per se is much enjoyable. It's just what VS could be but didn't want to.
Desertsweeper

Post by Desertsweeper »

I purchased Vegas Movie Studio Platinum which is roughly the same price as Corel. They have endless offers so watch for good pricing - right now it is on discount at $60. It is just way ahead of Corel in every way. Firstly - it just works. There are some niggles discussed on their forums but nothing like over here in VS land. I just upgraded from v15 to v16 which was a smooth logical upgrade - everything worked as expected and they merely added new features. One really good feature of Studio is that it is almost the same as Vegas Pro in operation so when you decide you want to go large - it's a no-brainer upgrade (again massively discounted from Studio). It is easier for me to use - more intuitive than VS - but that is probably a personal thing. I just find I don't need to go searching for a "how-to" - it is more obvious to my way of working. It never crashes and it eats my 4K GoPro7 footage with ease on my i7-8700K
They build it on the same core as Vegas Pro so it gains that platforms development. They are about to release v17 of Pro and so it will not be long before Studio gains the new engine which is apparently redesigned and way faster.
The negative is that it is owned by Magix - a nasty company that will drive you nuts with their constant marketing campaigns. Despite unsubscribing I still get endless streams of emails and they have a pop-up that is almost impossible to kill.
But overall - as a long-term Corel VS user (from the very beginning - almost every version upgrade purchased) I am very happy with the switch. Just be careful not to go for the basic Studio version - it is very limited. You will want the Platinum or the "Suite" that adds a bunch of plugins I would never use.
Desertsweeper

Post by Desertsweeper »

asik1 wrote:I don't know what Desert chose, no software is flawless. I can say that for me by adding VMS16P, editing per se is much enjoyable. It's just what VS could be but didn't want to.
Haha snap! Exactly...it is what VS always should have been. Same price-point (cheaper) but WAY better
RobertOZ
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A86 1.04E01
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
Video Card: Radeon HD 5770
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 32" IPS LED (Main) HP 23fi IPS LED
Corel programs: VSX4-X10 VS 2018/2019/2020 & MS 3D

Post by RobertOZ »

Over many years, I found it advantageous to have more than one NLE available

Since VSX4, Corel has been my preferred editor, but that has waned since VS2018, I now use Magix Movie Edit Pro Premium 2019, together with Movie Studio Platinum 16, As a backup NLE I also have Adobe Premiere Elements 2018, for image correction I use Photoshop Elements 2018. When I first started editing I used CyberLink PowerDirector,(PD4 from memory) and am one of the original forum members, joining weeks after CyberLink set the forum up. Lost interest when PD9 was released never could get PD9 to install correctly, being a PD beta tester, gave me direct access to the development team,but even they could not get my system to install it correctly, so I moved on.

Became a beta tester for Adobe Premiere Elements / Photoshop Elements, but never really liked Premiere, but do like Photoshop, moved to Corel with VSX4, took to it like a duck to water, so easy to use, lacked a few features but I could live with that.
Dell 7567,Win 10(2004) i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5, drives, 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Samsung 28" 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor
PS24 Ultimate, PSP 2020, PhotoMirage, Painter 2020, VS 2018 Ult, VS2021 Ult MultiCam Capture XL
Desertsweeper

Post by Desertsweeper »

RobertOZ wrote:Over many years, I found it advantageous to have more than one NLE available

Since VSX4, Corel has been my preferred editor, but that has waned since VS2018, I now use Magic Movie Edit Pro Premium 2019, together with Movie Studio Platinum 16, As a backup NLE .
I tried Movie Edit Pro Premium RobertOZ - it works well but was not as easy to use, or let's say transition to, from Corel, for me anyway. Vegas MSp was a cinch to just pick up and start with. Within days of playing with the trials I purchased the latter.
asik1
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

For me it took 10 min to find VMS annoyances , I trialed 14 and 15 and bought 16, only when I finely realized VS is going backwards with VS2019.
But one thing for sure, the forum here is way better than VMS's... both for help and for steam.
And yes VMS do crash and do have useless features.
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

Desertsweeper wrote:The negative is that it is owned by Magix - a nasty company that will drive you nuts with their constant marketing campaigns. Despite unsubscribing I still get endless streams of emails and they have a pop-up that is almost impossible to kill.
Curious! I find that interesting. Like Robert, I have both Magix Movie Edit Pro and Movie Studio Platinum 16 (and indeed have had them in several versions for several years). And I have never -- not once -- received any pop-up messages from them. Email messages come around the time of release of a new version, but I find that quite normal, and usually take them up on the offer. Once I do, the emails cease. This is totally unlike Corel which for years blasts me with pop-ups for both Video Studio and Paintshop Pro (as well as Painter pop-ups which are often difficult to close).

I also have Adobe Premiere Elements, as well as Cyberlink Power Director 16 though I seldom use it. I agree with his comment about multiple NLEs as I find that each of the ones I have do some things better than the others. My chief gripe with Corel remains its flat refusal in both VS 2018 and 2019 to accept any form of HEVC video, whereas Movie Studio Platinum and Power Director 16 happily accept and edit HEVC on the same computer.
Ken Berry