Video Card: Radeon 540 Graphics
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 256 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Radeon 540 Graphics
Corel programs: Videostudio 2020 Pro

How many folders can you have?

Post by rkstudio »

Hello,
I'm trying to work on another project but when I tried to make another folder, I got an error message that says I can't make another folder. I want to keep all the folders I have because I want to work on them on other days in the future. So my question is, how and where can I keep the folders so I can make room to make another folder for a new project?
Thanks,
Bob
BrianCee
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP
Corel programs: VS X4,X5,X6,X7,X8, X9, X10, 2018 , 2019

Re: How many folders can you have?

Post by BrianCee »

How many do you have ?

not sure of the answer except I remember it is quite a lot- I think somewhere in the past we established it was something like a max of 99

maybe you need to change your work process a little - I always make a new WINDOWS folder and put everything for any one project into there - this allows me to delete library folders in Videostudio if I do not think I will be using them for a while - then when you do need one again just add a new library file and import the whole contents of it's Windows folder in one move

keeps things inside Videostudio a bit cleaner and less cluttered
rkstudio
motherboard: There is no motherboard listed
processor: Intel Core i7-855ou CPU 1.80 GHZ
ram: 16GB

Post by rkstudio »

Thanks Brian,

I understand what your saying but how do I save a folder from the list of folder I have in VS (VS9 Ult. Pro). When I right click it or try to save it, there are no options to do that.
I'm not technically talented so if I can't find an obvious solution, I have to ask.

Here is a screenshot of what I mean.
Attachments
There doesn't appear to be any options for saving the folder to a windows folder.
There doesn't appear to be any options for saving the folder to a windows folder.
BrianCee

Post by BrianCee »

You cannot copy a library folder to a windows folder - I said I put all the files I use in any project into a windows folder - that is before I even import them into Videostudio -- once you have them in a windows folder you can easily import them to a new Videostudio folder by selecting all in the windows folder in one go - when you have finished that project delete the library folder in VS - but that will not delete the files in the windows folder

it will take you a while to get started in that you will have to move files manually to start with and put them in windows folders - but once you start it will get easier and easier to do

rkstudio

Post by rkstudio »

Ok, I misunderstood what you said. Yes, I already do put my video files into a windows folder before I put them into VS. So I have the unedited files in the computer before I import them to VS.
I guess the only reason to have folders in VS is to temporarily hold them there until the project is done....like you said. I suppose the reason for the VS folders is just to make the videos for the project handier for the time being. Am I correct?

Oh, BTW, I made 38 folders until VS started telling me that I can't make any new folders.
Ron P.
Site Admin
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Post by Ron P. »

There is a means for doing this. It will not save, move the actual media (video clips, audio clips, photos). What it does is export the data files that VS uses for the Library, these are recognized as *.dat files.
  • Go to the Settings Menu
  • Then down to the Library Manger
  • Then in the Fly-out menu select Export Library
Locate somewhere on your system to export. I suggest creating a Folder in that location, and provide a meaningful name, such as VSX9 Library. VS will then export ALL the data files for all the Library to that folder. Before proceeding, go to that folder and check to see if you have a lot of files and some folders in there.
vs9 exported files.jpg
Then in VS, go back to the Settings menu, down to Library Manager and select Reset Library, IF you want to reset the Library to it's Default state. If not then you can just simply delete the Library folders you no longer need. Now at sometime if you again want all those folders in the Library, you can select Import Library from that same menu, navigate on your system where you exported, select the folder and VS will import and you'll see that all those are once again available for you. There is one thing to remember. The media is not literally located inside VS. So if you move any of the media files on your system, you will need to relink them once you Import a Library.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
rkstudio

Post by rkstudio »

Ok, Thanks Ron.

I did that and it worked. I'll work with that method too. I'm starting to understand that you don't really have to make folders in the library. I was trying to make my video making more organized but I think I see now that making folders is more for temporary purposes while working on 2 or 3 videos at a time. I guess the different methods are for personal preferences.

Thanks a lot.
BrianCee

Post by BrianCee »

Sorry Ron - but I can't see how that works - how do you bring back just one library from that

if rkstudio exports his library then deletes some individual libraries in VS then adds some new libraries for a new project then uses 'Export library' to save them - - how does he restore one of the libraries he has deleted

Ron P.
Site Admin
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Post by Ron P. »

BrianCee wrote:Sorry Ron - but I can't see how that works - how do you bring back just one library from that

if rkstudio exports his library then deletes some individual libraries in VS then adds some new libraries for a new project then uses 'Export library' to save them - - how does he restore one of the libraries he has deleted

It works, BUT, as in my post (I probably should have bolded it), I said ALL. There is no way to save a single part of the Library, such as the Media. What I'm thinking is that he could safely delete whatever folders he chooses. Then for some reason he decides he wanted some folders back, he could Import. Yes he would have everything again. Now what I didn't test for was duplication of the other Library contents, such as FX Filters, Objects, ect. I think he would have to Reset to Default, prior to Re-importing from the Exported (back-up) Library. There's no other way that I've seen in any versions of VS. This at least provides a back-up, safeguard. The Packaging of a Project could work, if all media used were contained in a Single Library Folder. However that also copies the video, photos, ect, used in a project, using more storage space.

EDIT
After looking at my suggestion further, I'd recommend NOT doing this. What I found that in most of my Libraries, such as the Graphics folders, I had duplicate files.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
gewb
motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Video Card: AMD R9-270
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 24MK430
Corel programs: X10.5 Ult., 2018 & 2020 Ult.

Post by gewb »

My X8.5 installation barfs at 38 folders.

I can only venture a guess as to why. Looking into some of the VS files, parts of the application date back to the early 2000s when uLead owned the product. While I haven't determined the database engine in use I would guess it dates back that far.

I also would guess that the developers put in a hard limit:
(a) because of a technical limitation or
(b) because someone said "No one will have more than 3 dozen projects."

Regards,
GEWB
rkstudio

Post by rkstudio »

It's not really that I would have more than 3 dozen projects that I'm trying to manage at once, but that if I have a project that I want more handy to have ready when I want to change something. I guess it's really not necessary to have folders created within VS since I already have the same clip/videos in a windows folder anyway.

Other than creating folders in VS to keep videos handy, is there any other reason to create folders in VS?, or just use the videos that are stored in windows when I need them at a later date like Brian suggested in an earlier post.
gewb
motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Video Card: AMD R9-270
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 24MK430
Corel programs: X10.5 Ult., 2018 & 2020 Ult.

Post by gewb »

How you use this tool is up to you. Every person or organization has workflows deigned for specific reasons (or no reason at all). Workflow design could be an interesting sticky topic for the forum!

I'm a one man band so I can set my workflow as I desire. My folders and associated librarys are created for two reasons: (1) specific project media files and (2) specific media files. Multi user departments would likely have set processes and procedures on the creation and use of folders and libraries.

I make a folder when working on a new project. Each project has its own directory on a hard drive and all related files are stored there. The associated library is where I dump images, sound files and video clips (from the project directory) that I anticipate using in the project. A little pre-planning helps keep the clutter down.

I have also created folders for just sound files but I scrapped the folder in favor of project specific folders.

Regards,
GEWB