ram: 24GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 270
sound_card: AMD High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500SSD+2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Three monitors, all Dell brand, one 4K
Corel programs: Visual Studio, Paintshop

Re: Apple abandons QuickTime for Windows

Post by aljimenez »

JaRo wrote:...How can I see if those MOV use H H.264 codec ?
One way I can think is to convert those files using a converter program like Format Factory and check the output converted file to see if it plays as you expect.
User for more than 10 years.
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

Jaro, after all these years, you still don't have https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo ?
JaRo
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUS K556U
processor: Core i5
ram: 12 Go
Video Card: NVidia GEForce 940mx
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Corel programs: VS, Draw, PaintShop, Motion 3D

Post by JaRo »

I finally received an answer from Corel : Your VideoStudio will work fine even without the Quicktime. Please be informed that mov files are supported video format and therefore could play on your VideoStudio Pro. In some case when users unable to play mov files , we suggest to convert the file into other supported format.
aljimenez wrote:
...How can I see if those MOV use H H.264 codec ?
One way I can think is to convert those files using a converter program like Format Factory and check the output converted file to see if it plays as you expect.
I use AVS4YOU to convert videos/audios/images/documents, but I've still downloaded Format Factory (it's free, why not). It adds few formats that I will be able to convert.
asik1 wrote: Jaro, after all these years, you still don't have https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo ?
I've downloaded and installed MediaInfo, but I'm not sure of the result and don't think that my mov files are H.264. See the pictures :
Attachments
MediaInfo01.jpg
MediaInfo02.jpg
VS Ultimate X4,X5,X6,X8. MotionStudio 3D, CorelDRAW X5, PHOTO-PAINT X5, PaintShop Pro X4
Lots of free stuff, explanatory documents : https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqzpHEzjQAwYkFiTJS6xeWPbPBsM
RobertOZ
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A86 1.04E01
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 5770
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 32" IPS LED (Main) HP 23fi IPS LED
Corel programs: VSX4-X10 VS 2018/2019/2020 & MS 3D

Post by RobertOZ »

Place one of your clips in the timeline, then right click and select properties,if it is H264 baseline profile, the properties should look similar to this

The codec ID of my clip is mp42/avc1
Attachments
Snap2.jpg
Dell 7567,Win 10(2004) i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5, drives, 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Samsung 28" 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor
PS24 Ultimate, PSP 2020, PhotoMirage, Painter 2020, VS 2018 Ult, VS2021 Ult MultiCam Capture XL
JaRo

Post by JaRo »

Hi RobertOZ,

Looks like I'll have to convert all my mov files if I delete QuickTime. You'll see as per the image and also if you go on the link in the signature below. I uploaded a file called Detonation Films mov Under the Problems folder. Properties show Photo - JPEG as it is really a mov.
Attachments
SkyFirfe02mov.jpg
VS Ultimate X4,X5,X6,X8. MotionStudio 3D, CorelDRAW X5, PHOTO-PAINT X5, PaintShop Pro X4
Lots of free stuff, explanatory documents : https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqzpHEzjQAwYkFiTJS6xeWPbPBsM
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

Hi

as far as i know PhotoJpeg codec is provided when installing Video Studio so your video clips should work irrespective to QT.

Your easiest option is to uninstall QT to see what actually continues to work.
Regards Trevor
JaRo

Post by JaRo »

lata wrote:Hi

as far as i know PhotoJpeg codec is provided when installing Video Studio so your video clips should work irrespective to QT.

Your easiest option is to uninstall QT to see what actually continues to work.

I uninstalled QT. When I double-click on one of the mov, Windows Media Player automatically plays it. Same mov is no more read in VideoStudio.
BrianCee
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP
Corel programs: VS X4,X5,X6,X7,X8, X9, X10, 2018 , 2019

Post by BrianCee »

JaRo wrote: I uninstalled QT. When I double-click on one of the mov, Windows Media Player automatically plays it. Same mov is no more read in VideoStudio.
No it just means that the default programme for .mov files - (which was quicktime) has set itself to the next best option which is Media player

you either need to right click on the .mov file and choose "Open With" and select Videostudio OR - open Videostudio and choose import/insert and choose a mov file - then you will know whether Videostudio can read them or not

JaRo

Post by JaRo »

RobertOZ wrote : Without QT you will be unable to use SmartSound within PowerDirector 13, CyberLink didn't tell you that did they, see ynotfish (Tony) post on the CyberLink forum
I've uninstalled QT. Contrary to VideoStudio, CyberLink has played my mov clip and SURPRISINGLY audio from SmartSound. Magic Music has asked me to reinstall QT. I answered OK and Magic Music opened. I click on the SmartSound button and said OK to rebuild the Library. The audio doesn't play in the Library. I inserted an audio clip on the timeline and played it at the same time than my mov.

If CyberLink can do all that without QT, why VideoStudio can't do the same ?
RobertOZ
Advisor

Post by RobertOZ »

Video Studio can play QT MOV files without QT being installed, you just can't render to QT MOV and I would suspect neither can PowerDirector

With regard to SmartSound, CyberLink did not come up with the workaround, members of the forum did, and the same workaround may work in VSX7 and as you point out the workaround does not allow you to preview the tracks before placing in the timeline, a long and laborious job dragging each track to the timeline to see if the track is suitable for your project
Dell 7567,Win 10(2004) i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5, drives, 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Samsung 28" 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor
PS24 Ultimate, PSP 2020, PhotoMirage, Painter 2020, VS 2018 Ult, VS2021 Ult MultiCam Capture XL
Davidk
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Post by Davidk »

What an interesting thread . . .
and no one - No One - has mentioned anything about all the cameras that generate .MOV files and no doubt will do so for some time. It isn't just the users of various programs that are affected - the hardware manufacturers are in the s**t too. All those users are going to be happily exposed, and when the hammer comes down and the cause is identified the splash on original product and software that uses it will not be pretty. That includes VS, and presumably also Pinnacle - both Corel products.

The slackest attitude of all is Apple's - they've been happily banking the license fees for the QT package for years. To abandon without notice - which is what this is: Apple clearly thinks the holes are too hard or not worth fixing - so eject eject eject. Not even archdevil MS does that without a few years notice. Given the clear demonstration of f**k you jack from Apple, who would ever want to buy any of their stuff - hardware smartphones or programs?

The slack attitude of Corel to this so far also just beggars the imagination. Every version of VS until X9 explicitly installed QT as part of the installation package, unless you already had it. By implication, it is/was essential for product operation. The majority of VS users are not as computer literate as the contributors to this thread - they are going to be scared witless by this. At the very least Corel should be publishing an advisory for users of past and current versions - even if its only for X7, X8 and X9 - about what that security notice really means for the software, and what they should do about it on their version and the data files they use.

Davidk
JaRo

Post by JaRo »

Davidk : You're right and I fully agree to everything you wrote.
RobertOZ wrote : Video Studio can play QT MOV files without QT being installed, you just can't render to QT MOV and I would suspect neither can PowerDirector

I'm sorry, but VideoStudio Ultimate X8 doesn't play mov files since I uninstalled QT. It even refuses to import it in either the Library or timeline. Therefore, I just don't understand how it could play it.

The mov clips I tried to import are exactly the same as the one I uploaded on the link in the signature below. The file is called Detonation Films mov Under the Problems folder. Is there anyone who can play them without QT installed ?
RobertOZ
Advisor

Post by RobertOZ »

JaRo wrote:I didn't get an answer from Corel for my last question, but I got one from CyberLink as I own PowerDirector Suite 13. Their answer :
Our products use QuickTime to play and publish(edit) videos MOV which contain the codec of QuickTime. If you uninstall QuickTime of your computer the codec H.264 in MOV format remains supported(born) all the same in the software of CyberLink
Do those clips play in PowerDirector, because they do not appear to be using the H264 codec, my MOV clips using H264 import and play correctly
Attachments
Snap1.jpg
rwernyei

Post by rwernyei »

Ulead/Corel also requires Quicktime for animated GIF support.
JaRo

Post by JaRo »

RobertOZ wrote : Do those clips play in PowerDirector, because they do not appear to be using the H264 codec, my MOV clips using H264 import and play correctly
Indeed, they play in CyberLink PowerDirector Suite 13.
rwernyei wrote : Ulead/Corel also requires Quicktime for animated GIF support.
You are absolutely right. I've just tried animated gifs in my Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X8 for one project in course and none of them played, even those that used to.

BRAVO Corel : I now have to reinstall QT as to render it on a DVD.

DavidK was absolutely right. It seems that Corel doesn't give a damn about us since two or three years. Are they going to do something to correct all that sh*t ? (Very little hope they'll do something). No more MOV, ANIMATED GIF. WOW, we now have to convert everything as to include what was used to be a simple act.