ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG
Corel programs: Videostudio 2019

Advance=1 not effective in VS Pro X2

Post by PhilPreston3072 »

Has anyone been able to get effective results with Advance=1 functions for mpeg2 renderings? I would like to set short GOPs like 4 or 6 frame intervals for better DV to DVD conversion. Whenever I change GOP settings in the Advanced options I see no difference in output. Artifacts are just as strong as ever.

System: Win XP Pro SP3
Videostudio Pro X2 Ultimate (no updates installed)

Added Advance=1 under [Viodriver] in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ulead Systems\Corel VideoStudio\12.0\uvs.ini

Advanced tab and Advanced Window appears in VS X2 for mpeg 2 options.
I set GOP to 3 P frames and 6 I frames and set it to render and burn DVD. I watch it through a DVD player and Full HD TV yet I see no difference with usual 3P and 12I settings.

Is there something I'm missing?
It seems as if we need to add another flag in the ini file to actually enable the Advance=1 options. Does anyone know?
DVDDoug

Re: Advance=1 not effective in VS Pro X2

Post by DVDDoug »

I don't understand how MPEG works, but a smaller GOP is not necessarily more optimized. I assume the defaults tend to work best for most video material.

MPEG is lossy compression and the amount of information lost is mostly related to bitrate

If you have space on the disc, try a higher bitrate. If you are running out of space on the disc and you are using LPCM audio, switching to Dolby (lossy audio compression) will save space, giving you more room to use a higher video bitrate.
[size=92][i]Head over heels,
No time to think.
It's like the whole world's
Out of... sync.[/i]
- Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos.[/size]
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

If it's for DVD I think you can't just change the GOP. DVD video has a cretin format in order to be compatible.
even if you change gop it might be reencoded by the DVD module.
PhilPreston3072
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUSTek H97-PLUS
processor: Intel I7-4790 3.60GHz

DVDDoug wrote:I don't understand how MPEG works, but a smaller GOP is not necessarily more optimized. I assume the defaults tend to work best for most video material.

MPEG is lossy compression and the amount of information lost is mostly related to bitrate

If you have space on the disc, try a higher bitrate. If you are running out of space on the disc and you are using LPCM audio, switching to Dolby (lossy audio compression) will save space, giving you more room to use a higher video bitrate.
Bitrate is already at 8000. Higher bitrates don't seem to make any difference. On Adobe Premiere the lowest I can set is I-frames to 8 and P-frames to 2 and there is a noticeable improvement, so I think if I could push the I frames down to 6 or 4 that would be so much better. The Advanced options do have those settings available but actually have no effect.

Still I would love to know if anyone got any effective improvement with any of the Advanced settings.
PhilPreston3072
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUSTek H97-PLUS
processor: Intel I7-4790 3.60GHz

asik1 wrote:If it's for DVD I think you can't just change the GOP. DVD video has a cretin format in order to be compatible.
even if you change gop it might be reencoded by the DVD module.
Possibly.

Still, I would like to hear from anyone who managed to get effective changes through the Advanced settings.