How to use a recorded DVD as input

stevep1939
operating_system: Vista Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

How to use a recorded DVD as input

Post by stevep1939 »

I have a DVD that was made from transferring a VHS PAL tape to a DVD. I can't see how to input the contents into VSProX4.

I downloaded Wondershare and that was easy to use to create an input file and I used VSProX4 to edit the file and make a 2 minute clip which I put on Youtube. The problem is with that the Watermark "Wondershare" is shown on the clip. I assume I need to spend $50 to buy a copy of Wondershare to not have the Watermark.

I tried a download of Handbrake. That created M4V files but it doesn't seem as though those files are compatible with VSProX4.

It would seem to me a basic requirement for a Video Editor to pull in a video from an existing DVD. I didn't think I would need to look for a program to RIP the DVD. What am I overlooking??

On the DVD there are 7 files. 2 *.BUP files, 2 *.IFO files and 3 *.VOB files. With either of the two programs I used above to RIP the DVD I think I saw 17 or 19 chapters.

Steve Pick
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Re: How to use a recorded DVD as input

Post by Ken Berry »

With your DVD in the computer drive, and the Edit tab selected, just right click in the timeline and select 'Insert Digital Media'. A dialogue box will appear and you select the drive with your DVD in it. This should then bring up another window allowing you to select from what is on the disc. You have to tick the little boxes to the left of the scenes on the disc.

Or with the Capture tab selected, you choose "Import from Digital Media", and do the same as above.
Ken Berry
DVDDoug

Post by DVDDoug »

You can do that with Video Studio. I don't have Video Studio on this machine, but you click on the Capture tab, and I believe the option is Import From Digital Media, or something like that.
I downloaded Wondershare and that was easy to use to create an input file and I used VSProX4 to edit the file and make a 2 minute clip which I put on Youtube. The problem is with that the Watermark "Wondershare" is shown on the clip. I assume I need to spend $50 to buy a copy of Wondershare to not have the Watermark.
If for some reason you can't get this done with Video Studio, there is a FREE program called VOB2MPG. It just re-configures and combines the VOB files (MPEG-2) into one big MPEG-2 file without converting or re-encoding. (Note that neither VideoStudio or VOB2MPG will "rip" encrypted DVD... They only work on homemade DVDs.)
On the DVD there are 7 files. 2 *.BUP files, 2 *.IFO files and 3 *.VOB files.
The audio & video are in the VOB files. Sometimes you can simply open the VOB, or change the extension to MPG and open it. But the problem is, your program/movie is split-up into 1GB files and it can be tricky to re-join them seemlessly.
[size=92][i]Head over heels,
No time to think.
It's like the whole world's
Out of... sync.[/i]
- Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos.[/size]
stevep1939

Post by stevep1939 »

To Ken Berry;

I tried the right click and went to the E drive. The folder where the files are showed up, but the message says:

"No items match your search". In my question I did specify the files I saw in this folder.

I don't have this problem with the other two programs I used. I will look at the second suggestion tomorrow.

How do I know if it is encrypted? I paid to have the DVD made by Mediaservice.com from the tape I took on my PAL video camera.

Steve Pick
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

Hi Steve

If you have transferred the disc content to the hard drive,you should be looking for the Video_TS folder.
OR
Place the disc in the DVD Drive and import from there, after choosing Insert Digital Media the window Select Import Source Folders--choose the DVD Drive then place a tick adjacent to VIDEO_TS folder -- the audio folder (if there is one ) is redundant.
OK
Then Start opens the Import from Digital Media
Choose the Titles to import--place a tick top left of thumbnails.

If the disc content is protected which i assume your disc is not then the program will report that and not import the files.
Regards Trevor
stevep1939

Post by stevep1939 »

Trevor, INTERESTING.... I was following your instructions and got a message saying "There is no valid content in your path" I was just trying to make a Print Screen image of the message to put on my reply, when I hit the Enter again and lo and behold the 17 chapter icons appeared and got filled. It does look as though I can go ahead now. Thanks, but it was a close shave to sounding off again. I wonder why I got the first message.

Steve
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi Steve
Glad you have it working......

DVDDoug did mention using a free program called VOB2MPG, may be worth a look.

You can always re-name the VOB files on the hard drive to use MPG as the extension.
Then Insert to VS timeline as normal, works most of the time?
Regards Trevor
stevep1939

Post by stevep1939 »

I now have the next problem and I wonder if it is disk space. On the panel of the 17 chapters and titles, at the bottom it says it needs 139Gb. It asks me which I want to import. I selected the title and 2 chapters. It seemed to finish but then I couldn't find where the imports were. later I saw a little folder sign at the right at the bottom so I created a new file. I have then had two or three attempts at importing but it seems to go on for ever. I tried just the "Title" but that didn't work. Then I started to look for the files that I imported for the other two programs to see how large they were but although I can see the program files on the c drive I still haven't figured where the data files are stored to see how large they are. When i find them I intend to delete them and see how much space that frees up as the C drive shows 146Gb free. Once I see the space I will try to import the last chapter in case the end of file markers are corrupt. I have to leave this now for other things to do.
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi

Wow 139 Gb is a little excessive, something is wrong.
Is the disc a standard DVD containing a Video_TS folder?

a bluray disc holds 25Gb, your disc probably 4.3 Gb.

Only select the Title option, that should import all video.

The panel below marked Working Folder is where the files will be saved to.

------------------------
If you have copied the discs content to your hard drive, the Video_TS folder contains Vob files, each being 1 Gb, Rename these to use the extension mpg.
Import these to Video Studio. Right click the timeline and select Insert Video

------------------------

Are you sure the disc is a standard DVD or is it a DVD Data Disc containing files?
Regards Trevor
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Post by Ken Berry »

I selected the title and 2 chapters. It seemed to finish but then I couldn't find where the imports were.
If you successfully imported them into VS, they should have appeared as icons in either the library window or in the timeline itself. If such icons exist, you can right click and select Properties. That will give you the path to where they are stored on your computer, and also their size. Normally, though, they should be stored in your working folder specified in Settings > Preferences.
Ken Berry
stevep1939

Post by stevep1939 »

Ok I made a mistake with DVD size. I realize the message on the Import screen is just saying how much space is available on C drive.
I then read the DVD and the chapters appear as Icons on the Panel, "Import from Digital Media"
I notice as I hover over each Icon the file size shows up. The title is 1.58Mb, Chapter 1 is 105.19Mb I think the rest of the chapters are similar sizes. Clicking on the Title Icon an Orange surround appears on the icon but the tab at the bottom of the panel between Previous and Cancel, ie start Import is greyed out so I can't start the import.
The working folder is C:\Users\Steve\Videos\Corelimp\1992

The Import to line below working folder seems greyed out so the down arrow doesn't do anything.

What am I missing? Certainly the chapter icons have the correct images from the DVD.

There was possibly a weakness in the program design as when I loaded VS it just hung there, but after a while clicking I realized it was looking for the two imports I had made with Wondershare. Before embarking on this again I had deleted all Wondershare programs and data. I did delete the icons on the Edit screen and then things were fine to get to where I am now.
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Post by Ken Berry »

Did you tick the boxes beside each chapter as I suggested above?
Ken Berry
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi

Steve maybe Corel or I should have made things clearer. However i did mention the box earlier.

After clicking the Title an Orange surround appears on the icon, as you have noticed.
to the top left of the title is a small grey square, thats the bit that should be more visible.
maybe the orange should surround that. Put a tick in the grey box.

Things can be a little slow as the program reads the data.
click image for larger view
click image for larger view
Regards Trevor
stevep1939

Post by stevep1939 »

Thanks everybody. My problem arose when I clicked on an icon and the Orange surround came on. I just assumed that meant selection. I failed to see the grey box in the top left hand corner of the icon. On my screen it was not too obvious especially with the orange band which was very obvious.
Thanks again. Now edit can continue I hope but grand daughter has just arrived so all is on hold. At least I have the DVD on my PC
Steve
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi Steve

Glad to here you have managed to transfer the clips to the pc.
You wont be the first to miss the tick box, I wondered what was happening the first time I used it.

The colour of the workstation has come under some criticism with the grey text looking as unavailable, so if you think it wont work try clicking anyway?

All the best to your family and the new addition, they grow up so fast.........
Unless you dont mean new born? and is already grown up :D
Regards Trevor