processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Burning a DVD after Creating disc image

Post by Davidk »

I'm using X5Pro, and have just rendered a project that will be about 1.6Gb including menus. Because I will need to make several disks of the result, I used the create disk image (user guide p156) option in the last panel of the authoring process, rather than burn a disk directly. What I got in the specified folder was a small .iso control file and a winzip compressed archive.

First question: why do it like that?
Extraction of that archive to the same folder as the .iso file yields a Video_TS folder containing a series of .bup, .ifo and .vob files.

I ran the iso file with an iso DVD burner program I have. Generally it works on whole .iso files - one humongous file that it breaks apart into the relevant items and burns the DVD in a playable way. As, for example, Mscrosoft's SP3 package for XP - distributed by download and in that format. The burn ISO program ran and it created something like 100kb on the DVD. Something is wrong here.
Second question: Since there isn't a tutorial on how to use this function on-line, is there a document available which describes the correct procedure to create a burned DVD from the created disk image generated by X5?

Davidk
DVDDoug

Re: Burning a DVD after Creating disc image

Post by DVDDoug »

What I got in the specified folder was a small .iso control file and a winzip compressed archive...

...The burn ISO program ran and it created something like 100kb on the DVD. Something is wrong here.
Yeah... Something's wrong. The ISO file should he about the size of the DVD and it should contain ALL of the information & data for burning the DVD. (But, t's been awhile since I made an ISO and I've never made an ISO with X5.)
Because I will need to make several disks of the result, I used the create disk image (user guide p156) option
An alternative is to "Burn DVD Folders" to your hard drive. (Or since you already have the ZIP, you can just extract the DVD files from your ZIP.) Then you can use your buring software to copy those files to DVDs.

The advantage is that you can play the DVD-files with your DVD-player software to test-out the menus, etc, without burning a test-DVD. The only disadvantage I know of is that the ISO file contains the name/label for the disc, whereas if you copy & burn from folders you have to enter that information manually into your burning application.
[size=92][i]Head over heels,
No time to think.
It's like the whole world's
Out of... sync.[/i]
- Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos.[/size]
Davidk
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3_7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5_8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Post by Davidk »

Yes, that's what I thought an ISO file should be also. So I looked it up - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image - and it is one file. So why Corel chose to call a result that's a lot of files an ISO file is unclear and misdleading.

But I did also think that there was more to it and in the process of composing a support request, I stumbled over the answer. mea culpa. Just did not read the user guide 2 pages further on - p158 - where, after outlining how to burn a disk (turn page) it describes how to burn a disk from a created image. Which works fine.

Davidk
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

And just a footnote: Corel did not invent the term ISO, nor is it misleading. It is a well-established term in video editing generally, and quite a variety of programs exist which create them, read them, play them and burn them to disc. And it is not misleading because it is indeed just one file with the .iso extension. When opened, yes, it contains a variety of files and two folders (normally). But of itself, it is just one file.
Ken Berry