motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
processor: 2.85 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
ram: 4.5GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
sound_card: ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio ATI
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3000 GB

DVD verify after burning in X5

Post by mikeb »

Is there a facility in X5 to automatically verify a DVD after burning, I have looked but cant find one. When burning DVDs for customers I use X5 to make an ISO file then burn it using Nero Express 6 as there is a verify facility that can be selected. Maybe I am being too cautious but on a few occasions I have had discs fail the verify, I feel a bit more confident if it passes the verify the DVD is ok. If I can burn with a verify afterwards in X5 this will make the job a bit easier. I wonder if anyone has any ideas.

Michael
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Re: DVD verify after burning in X5

Post by Ken Berry »

I am pretty sure VS has never had such a facility. It does, though, have a test *before* burning facility -- though I personally have never used it. If that is of any use to you, you can find it under the little information icon down in the bottom left of the burning screen -- the icon looks like a disc with a large letter "i" over it.

Note, however, that there is a thread complaining that that facility does not work in X4: see http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php ... 68#p252268. There is no similar thread for X5, I suspect because virtually no one uses this facility.
Ken Berry
canuck
operating_system: Windows 8.1
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Post by canuck »

For many programs that have a "verify" it usually means that they verify that the burned data can be read - there is no comparison done between the actual data burned and the source data. A google search on the subject show that there are differing opinions on the usefullness of verification. Often DVDs that fail verification will still play correctly. Other times verified DVDs will fail on some players but play happily on others. There are just too many variables to make verification of much use.
mikeb
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Post by mikeb »

Thanks for the advice. I wont bother using verify as it doesnt do what I thought it did. I have tried to burn with X5 but I am having problems so I will start a new thread giving details.
Michael
DVDDoug

Post by DVDDoug »

canuck wrote:For many programs that have a "verify" it usually means that they verify that the burned data can be read - there is no comparison done between the actual data burned and the source data....

... Often DVDs that fail verification will still play correctly...
There two things (at least) that can happen. You can get a "hard error" (a disc that's bad and fails every time), or you can get a flaky disc that's just hard-to-read. Sometimes a hard-to-read disc will verify OK, since the operating system will re-try a few times when it detects a read error. A DVD player will usually re-try too, but the delay can cause a nasty glitch in playback. You CAN check for these problems.
canuck wrote:... Other times verified DVDs will fail on some players but play happily on others...
Of course, that's sometimes impossible to find in advance...
mikeb wrote:Thanks for the advice. I wont bother using verify as it doesnt do what I thought it did.
It probably IS worthwhile, especially if you are making multiple copies or distributing to customers.

I don't know if Nero's "verify" actually compares data or not. I believe ImgBurn (which I use for burning) will check the actual data.

To check for hard-to-read discs, I use Nero DiscSpeed which makes a graph of reading speed. It will show a "glitch" in the graph if it has to slow-down or re-read part of the disc. I'm not finding DiscSpeed on Nero's website at the moment (it was a free download), but you may have it in your Nero Suite or you can find it elsewhere on the Net.

There is a similar feature in ImgBurn that makes a graph that you can view if you download the optional BurnPlot utility.

With the these speed-graphing programs, different drives will give you different graphs, so it's a good idea to try a couple of known good discs first to see what the graph looks like. (Dual-layer discs will give a different graph too).
[size=92][i]Head over heels,
No time to think.
It's like the whole world's
Out of... sync.[/i]
- Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos.[/size]
mikeb
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Post by mikeb »

Thanks for you help, I have not heard of imgburn before. I have downloaded it and have tried it and think it is very good. The verify I think just checks the burnt disc can be read as you were saying, but there is a seperate verify that will campare the disc to an iso file which could be very useful if the burnt data was very critical and needed to be checked
Michael