Opinions on DVD labels?

Black Lab
operating_system: Windows 8
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Post by Black Lab »

If you click on the Lightscribe link above it will take you to a Google search results page. The first result, Lightscribe; An Easy Guide, should answer all your questions.
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

And if you have a HP, as I do, then my experience suggests that just about any print program on that computer should have detected the LightScribe burner, and offer you the chance to burn to those special discs. It will inevitably off you the option of 'LightScribe'. You have to buy the special LightScribe CDs or DVDs, of course, put them in upside down, then burn.

And while I accept Steve's approval of them, my own reaction is more reserved -- find if the template you are using has lots of contrast. But you have to remember that it essentially is burning in shades of monochrome. Can look effective on some titles, and incredibly bland if not lost on others.
Ken Berry
Coral
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3
processor: Intel Core i5 2400 Quad Core 3.1GHz Socket 1155
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Gainward GT 520 1024 MB RAM
sound_card: On Board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB X2
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC 19 inch CRT tube

Post by Coral »

I have been using LightScribe media for quite some time now. I heard all sort of things about them. That they will (in time) fade. That the images lack contrast. and I cant't remember what else.

It is for sure that if left constantly exposed to lighe they will truly fade. An other must not, store them in PVC sleaves, It will affect the printable surface.

The images to be printed must have reasonable BW contrast otherwise the image will not stand out at all. You can always re burn, providing that you use the same, identical template. The disk has a digital starting point and will always start the print from that point. Re burn at a low intensity.

This is the download site. It contains A stack of templates and a very decent freeware application. Help is almost non existant in their forum.

Code: Select all

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/
neonbob

Post by neonbob »

metmot wrote:
I'm with Doug and Jeff on this one. I too have produced hundreds of DVD titles with stick on labels with zero problem.
I quite agree. The idea that paper labels are somehow going to destroy your disk or your drive is one of those awfully blown out rumors that has been shot around the net for years..... but never actually proven in any wide sense... AT ALL.

People simply go with cd/dvd printers because they give you a more professional look and feel. I for example spend a lot of time on the artwork for the face of a disk and I want it to look it's best when finished. I do inkjet printing to glossy waterShield disks for the best quality output available... but it's really a matter of preference. Either way however I wouldn't be too concerned about the guy who claims his machine flew apart into hundreds of shards of steel and peppered the walls in his room, killed the cat... blah blah blah.... all due to an out of balance disk with a paper label.
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Post by Ken Berry »

I am certainly not claiming that. But I have found that paper labels can unbalance some DVDs (which are more balance sensitive than CDs in my experience), and that this unbalance can lead to some (many?) DVD players reading them erratically and sometimes not at all -- they stop or jump.
Ken Berry
skier-hughes
Microsoft MVP
operating_system: Windows 8
motherboard: gigabyte
processor: Intel core 2 6420 2.13GHz
ram: 4GB
Video Card: NVidia GForce 8500GT
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 36GB 2TB

Post by skier-hughes »

None of my cd labels are still stuck on properly. All of my early printed discs are still printed :) and looking good.
I've been printing from the early consumer years and also have professional printing machines now.
I wouldn't use a stick on label.
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Post by Ken Berry »

And as I mentioned earlier, one of my own compilations on CD of favourite music, with a paper label which still looks as though it is properly affixed, no longer plays smoothly as once it did on a variety of players. Luckily I can remake it -- but this time on a printable CD! :lol: :wink:
Ken Berry
Coral
motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3
processor: Intel Core i5 2400 Quad Core 3.1GHz Socket 1155
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Gainward GT 520 1024 MB RAM
sound_card: On Board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB X2
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC 19 inch CRT tube

Post by Coral »

I'm not all that keen on lables for my media. However I have often seen what Ken has desctibed in his post, about unbalance. I have also seen lables getting partly unstuck. CDs could suffer more if the sutface layer becomes damaged.
sjj1805
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Post by sjj1805 »

neonbob wrote:.....
I quite agree. The idea that paper labels are somehow going to destroy your disk or your drive is one of those awfully blown out rumors that has been shot around the net for years..... but never actually proven in any wide sense... AT ALL........
Dangerous advice.
A DVD can get quite hot whilst spinning in the DVD tray - especially over a long period. Just like the heat from a wallpaper steamer the adhesive CAN work loose and it only needs a small bit to tear off and clog up the DVD Drive, or worse still cause the disc to oscillate it COULD damage the laser.

Whilst this is of course UNLIKELY to happen it remains a POSSIBILITY.
There are other methods of marking a disc.
1. Lightscribe - with the cautions mentioned above about heat/light affecting the artwork.
2. Printing directly onto the disc.
3. A simple marker pen.

DVD drives are delicate instruments and never mind damage caused by a loose bit of paper, one of the main reasons I have had to change drives over a period of time is the problem of dust intrusion due to the fact computers are like dust magnets - full of static electricity.
painterskip

Printing DVDs

Post by painterskip »

My 2 cents about this....

I've had an Epson Stylus Photo R220 for a couple years now. Started off with an R200, I think. Here's what I did....

I like this printer for it's quality and especially because it will print directly to printable CDs and DVDs. Yes...it drinks a lot of ink. So I got on Ebay and purchased a continuous inking system for it....cost about 45 bucks and installed easily. I haven't purchased a cart in almost a year and only just recently re-ordered bottles of ink.....six for 20 bucks that will last me another year.

However, the printer(s) are programed to stop working after a certain number of pages....something about the waste ink. So I downloaded a program called SSC Service Utility that will 'reprogram your Epson printer to think that you have 'fixed it'. HAd to do this twice. A simply mouse click. The continuous system automaticlly resets it's own supplied carts when the printer thinks they are close to empty. Works like a charm.

So I love my little Epson R220 and ink system for printing disks. My only problem is that it's been tough to find the printable disks in the big box stores lately, so I order online.

As for LightScribe...ugh. Ugly IMHO (I'm an artist....so I like color)

I've used labels before. In fact, I just recently labeled a DVD I made for my daughter and it seemed to have problems....possibly unbalanced?

Hope this helps someone....
Skip Dyrda
www.emurals.com
www.skipdyrda.com
Painterskip
www.emurals.com