DVD compliant MPEGs

Gorf
Advisor

DVD compliant MPEGs

Post by Gorf »

There's a checkbox in the VS11+ DVD burning dialog: "Do not convert DVD compliant MPEGs" - it's checked.

I've captured some files using the "Import from DVD" dialog, and have ended up with a bunch of MPEGs. They show up as having upper-field-first, variable 6000kbps with two-channel Dolby Digital @ 256kbps.

Is there any way to verify if these have been brought in as DVD compliant MPEGs? They are being re-rendered when I try to create DVD folders of my edit. My project consist of only these MPEGs (no menus etc) so I'd have expected it to be a straightforward copy of the files regardless of the MPEG settings for the project (although the DVD parameters have been set to match the MPEGs).
Ron P.
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Post by Ron P. »

Gorf,

Are you bringing the Project File into the burn module? If so then what's happening is VS is rendering the project.

Try rendering the project into a single MPEG file, in the Editor, (Share>Create Video File). With Smart Render enabled, it should not render anything except any changes. In your case that may be where each MPEG joins the next.

Then in the burn module, insert this MPEG file, and go from there. The burn module should not render anything except the menus..
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Gorf
Advisor

Post by Gorf »

Thanks, Ron. I used capture then edit then share.

Captured the DVD using the DVD import dialog.

Then just dropped the thumbnails onto the storyboard, in order (no editing, transitions, titles etc).

In "Share" I add the chapter points and burn to a DVD folder. On a fairly high speed PC it's taking 100 minutes for a 60 minute DVD. I understood to to be more or less a "copy" operation when there's nothing being rendered...
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

Then just dropped the thumbnails onto the storyboard, in order (no editing, transitions, titles etc).

In "Share" I add the chapter points
The questions this raises are (1) which 'storyboard' -- the editing module one or the burning module one? (2) Which "Share" are you talking about -- the one at the end of editing to produce a single mpeg-2 ( Share > Create Video File > DVD) or the one to open the burning module and burn the disc/folder (Share > Create Disc > DVD)?

I endorse Ron's suggestion that you should first render the captured/imported files into a single mpeg-2 as he outlined.

An important step, once you render the new mpeg-2, is to go to File > New Project. You will be asked to save the existing project (say OK) and then the timeline will be cleared. You don't need to give the new project a name as the objective was merely to clear the timeline.

That way, when you open the burning module (Share > Create Disc > DVD), nothing will be automatically inserted in the timeline. Normally, if you have completed your editing, and even rendered the new mpeg-2, if the editing timeline is not cleared, then the project file for that editing timeline is automatically inserted into the burning timeline. You might think it is your new mpeg-2 but it is not -- it is only a *potential* (or *virtual*) mpeg-2 but it still needs to be rendered into an actual mpeg-2 before it can be converted to the VOB format required for burning to an actual DVD or to a DVD folder.

Seen in that light, it is irrelevant whether or not that 'no not convert' box is ticked or not since from Video Studio's point of view, there is no actual mpeg-2 in the burning timeline -- only something that first needs converting to usable format.
Ken Berry
Gorf
Advisor

Post by Gorf »

Ken Berry wrote:I endorse Ron's suggestion that you should first render the captured/imported files into a single mpeg-2 as he outlined.
Why?

I'm a novice to VS, but not to video editing. Why should it make any difference if I render a supposedly DVD compliant set of MPGs to a single file before burning? Does rendering to such a file achieve the equivalent of MSP's "smartrender"?
Ken Berry wrote:
Gorf wrote:Then just dropped the thumbnails onto the storyboard, in order (no editing, transitions, titles etc).

In "Share" I add the chapter points
The questions this raises are (1) which 'storyboard' -- the editing module one or the burning module one? (2) Which "Share" are you talking about -- the one at the end of editing to produce a single mpeg-2 ( Share > Create Video File > DVD) or the one to open the burning module and burn the disc/folder (Share > Create Disc > DVD)?
I went to "edit" in the three-option menu that comes up when you start VS11+ Then I followed the tabs across the top - ignoring titles, effects etc. I didn't start the burn module from the main menu, although it seems to me that such a declaration is academic: From what little I've seen so far, it appears to me that the burn module invoked from the opening options is the same as the one that's used at the end of the edit process.
Ken Berry wrote:Seen in that light, it is irrelevant whether or not that 'no not convert' box is ticked or not since from Video Studio's point of view, there is no actual mpeg-2 in the burning timeline -- only something that first needs converting to usable format.
So you're saying that if I take my DVD compliant MPEGs through the edit module, get everything looking the way I want it, and then burn a VIDEO_TS folder I get a re-render. However if I take my DVD compliant MPEGs through the edit module, get everything looking the way I want it, and then write a new MPEG, then clear VS and burn that in the DVD writing module, I don't get a re-render, either when creating the interim MPEG or when writing the DVD files?
Ron P.
Site Admin
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Post by Ron P. »

Basically with project files in VS, the burn module will ignore the Do Not Render option. That is the best that I've been able to deduce from it's behavior. That is also why when people have problems using the project files in the burn module, we recommend creating a video file in the editor first, and then using that in the burn module.

I would think that the burn module would see that you're using DVD compatible files, in the project file (VSP), however it does not. So it will render the whole project, and in the case of MPEGs, you stand the chance of a slight loss in quality, or VS falling over, which generally will happen with those with less endowed PCs..
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
sjj1805
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Post by sjj1805 »

I suppose that if you think about it for a moment, if someone places a project file in the authoring stage then VideoStudio will say to itself

"This is a project file so it contains edits so I need to render it, otherwise the author would have given me the virgin video file instead."

Just a thought....
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

Gorf wrote:So you're saying that if I take my DVD compliant MPEGs through the edit module, get everything looking the way I want it, and then burn a VIDEO_TS folder I get a re-render. However if I take my DVD compliant MPEGs through the edit module, get everything looking the way I want it, and then write a new MPEG, then clear VS and burn that in the DVD writing module, I don't get a re-render, either when creating the interim MPEG or when writing the DVD files?
Hi Gareth (I believe that's you :) )

I agree with what everyone here is saying.

Your comment above sums it up. It's kind of like MSP8 when you use a Virtual Timeline -- you will lose the "Smartrender" when you create your video from the Main Timeline (using a Virtual Timeline).

Think of the VS Project as a "Virtual" timeline (in the sense of MSP8 -- which I believe you also use).

btw, you might get a little re-render when creating that "interim" mpeg -- depending on the type of editing you performed in VS.

Regards,
George