How to extract a chapter from a DVD

Moderator: Ken Berry

DLA

How to extract a chapter from a DVD

Post by DLA »

I am a user of VS11+ and I recently had a problem with the mini DVD-R my DVD cam did. There is a corruption in the VOB file on the DVD and I cannot import using VS11+ neither I can simply copy the DVD folder to my hard drive. With the DVD import, VS11+ get stuck at 76% completed for a little while before throwing "Failed to read DVD information. Report ID 0x80040901 (2305)".
Windows explorer get stuck where the VOB is corrupted and the transfer never ends.

I have 3 titles on the DVD, each title having multiple chapters. Using Sonic MyDVD, I was able to extract title 0 and title 2, apparently, Sonic MyDVD is not scanning the DVD fully before giving you the choice of which title to import. Unfortunately, Sonic MyDVD doesn't provide the option to import separate chapters. When I try to extract title 1, Sonic MyDVD get stuck.

I am able to playback each chapter from the DVDcam, a DVD player or my PC. The faulty chapter show errors but skipping to the next is possible.

I tried to use VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ to play separate chapters to a file (instead of a network stream) but I don't know why, VLC playback is jerky on my PC and the file created also gets jerky.

Anyone has a suggestion ?
brianosmi
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
processor: Intel Core2 Duo P8700
ram: 4 GB

Post by brianosmi »

I'm not sure what is officially endorsed along these lines in this forum, if anything, but a program I have used and really like a lot is #1 DVD Ripper.
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

You might also want to take a look at DVD Rebuilder, though it is a commercial program for which you have to pay. I don't have the website but you will find it with a Google search. It is a useful program to have in your arsenal anyway, as it can do as its name suggests, analysing a DVD sector by sector and removing most problems. Then it rebuilds the DVD from the ground up. But it also requires either a CinemaCraft or Canopus Pro encoder, both of which you also have to buy...
Ken Berry
DLA

Post by DLA »

Thanks for the quick reply. I will certainly look into this.
Turman

Re: How to extract a chapter from a DVD

Post by Turman »

Hi,
I am newbie here and yesterday I have tried DVDFab 7 and two video files are shown to exists on the disc and the video I want to extract is in both of the files, the beginning of it in the first file and the end in the second file. How can I proceed?
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

Providing the disc is not copywrite protected……
Using Video Studio, please confirm which version you are using, also update your profile to include the details.

Place the disc in your drive
From video studio, right click the timelines and choose Import Digital Media
Browse for the Disc Drive and locate the Video_TS folder
Select start or maybe OK , a window will show to Import the files.
Select all “ Titles” only, place a tick in a box top of thumbnail, a little greyed out if my memory serves.
If you also select chapters you will import duplicates
Choose a folder for the files, then start the process

Your video files will be Mpeg2 and a copy of what is on the DVD disc
Regards Trevor
canuck
operating_system: Windows 8.1

Post by canuck »

Turman wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:09 am
Hi,
I am newbie here and yesterday I have tried DVDFab 7 and two video files are shown to exists on the disc and the video I want to extract is in both of the files, the beginning of it in the first file and the end in the second file. How can I proceed?

If this is a standard DVD then there should be two folders on the DVD: Video_TS and Audio_TS. The Audio_TS could be empty. The VIDEO_TS on the other hand should have a number of files with the extensions ifo,bup and vob. If you you don't have that structure then you have a data DVD. What are the extensionson the files on the DVD?
JohnRVSP
motherboard: Acer JV50
processor: T9500 2600mHz Core 2 Duo
ram: 4GB
Video Card: Mobil Intel 4 Series Express ACER Laptop GMA4500M
sound_card: Acer Laptop Integrated
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 400G SSDX2
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer Laptop Integrated
Corel programs: VSP X10U + VSP2020U

Post by JohnRVSP »

DLA wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:21 am
I am a user of VS11+ and I recently had a problem with the mini DVD-R my DVD cam did. There is a corruption in the VOB file on the DVD and I cannot import using VS11+ neither I can simply copy the DVD folder to my hard drive. With the DVD import, VS11+ get stuck at 76% completed for a little while before throwing "Failed to read DVD information. Report ID 0x80040901 (2305)".
Windows explorer get stuck where the VOB is corrupted and the transfer never ends.

... ... ...

Anyone has a suggestion ?
I have found during copying DVDs, selecting a different "SOURCE DRIVE", sometimes 5 different drives, sometimes chilling or warming the drive(s), I have had successful results COMPLETING the copy. Different dives may have different error correction strategies, Different laser focusing controls, Different temperatures may improve manufacturing tolerances. You can monitor your error percentage point to see any progress, if it plays anywhere it can eventually be copied somehow.
Can you successfully play the video through the error position? Can you see a defect in the playback? Can you see a defect in the disc?
You can also use a device from "https://www.cloner-alliance.com/cloneralliance-box-pro/" if your monitor or TV is HDMI connected.
YMMV
Good Luck,
John
Always trying to learn something new!
Turman

Post by Turman »

canuck wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:05 pm
Turman wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:09 am
Hi,

If this is a standard DVD then there should be two folders on the DVD: Video_TS and Audio_TS. The Audio_TS could be empty. The VIDEO_TS on the other hand should have a number of files with the extensions ifo,bup and vob. If you you don't have that structure then you have a data DVD. What are the extensionson the files on the DVD?
Thank you so much for replying and it's really helpful to me and I think my issue got solve after reading your post.