processor: i7 10875
ram: 32GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 1650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP Pavillion 32"
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2020 "Ultimate"

Re: Video Studio issue Nvidia GPU cards

Post by SteveMartinUSA »

I've been using VideoStudio for years and I do know how to use the Share options (mostly). Because I have a lot of time invested in using VS is the main reason I haven't moved away completely.... I've seen the light with Filmora, in terms of performance. There, my XPS 15 runs only around 10% at most during basic editing using NO proxy files, while VideoStudio is running 80-99% just to play the timeline or scrub (also with no proxy).

My goal in changing the proxy format is to increase the video quality during the editing experience, since the default proxy size is only 720 x 480. My monitor is QHD so you can imagine how bad a stretched out 720 x 480 video looks during the editing process. What resolution do you use for your proxies?

SoNic67:
I haven't taken a look at my BIOS on this laptop yet, but I will do that--thanks for the tip. Do you find a noticeable difference using 64GB of RAM? At the moment I'm only using 8GB, but 32GB of "Balistix" is on the way, and a 2TB Evo 870+. Another bummer is how old a new XPS seems to be in terms of multi-display options, motherboard, and GPU. I guess XPS doesn't mean the same thing it did years ago. I had to get a laptop with a touch panel so I could get out of the office after work. I can't sit here any longer...
tletter
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Post by tletter »

Davidk wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:19 am
In this case, you would have to manually re-create the proxy files for clips in the project one by one (rt-click on clip, choose create proxy file, wait while it's done).
Fortunately we don't have to recreate proxy files one-by-one, rather simply enter Ctrl+A then right-click and select "Create Smart Proxy File" afterwhich any missing proxy files will be created in the background whilst we continue to edit our VSP.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
tletter

Post by tletter »

SteveMartinUSA wrote:I find very few professionally made tutorials on YouTube for VideoStudio
See https://www.youtube.com/user/gripps2211
SteveMartinUSA wrote:My monitor is QHD so you can imagine how bad a stretched out 720 x 480 video looks during the editing process. What resolution do you use for your proxies?
720 x 480 proxies on a UHD monitor.
SteveMartinUSA wrote:Do you find a noticeable difference using 64GB of RAM?
Adding more RAM above 16GB doesn't increase VS performance although it will allow you to run memory intensive programs concurrently with VS.
SteveMartinUSA wrote:Do you have to re-add a clip to the timeline to get a smart proxy file to create?
No - enter Ctrl+A then right-click and select "Create Smart Proxy File" afterwhich any missing proxy files will be created in the background.
SteveMartinUSA wrote:The proxy file has a "UPX" extension. It's not an MP4, so I can't tell if the file is just for the trim on the timeline or for the whole file?
The proxy is for a entire source clip.
SteveMartinUSA wrote:Does VS have to rebuild the proxy if I adjust the trim.....?
No - see previous answer.

tletter
SoNic67
motherboard: Dell Precision T7610
processor: dual Intel Xeon E5-2667 V2
ram: 64 GB
Video Card: nVidia GTX 1080
sound_card: SB ZxR
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 8 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC U2879VF
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2020

Post by SoNic67 »

SteveMartinUSA wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:12 pm
Do you find a noticeable difference using 64GB of RAM? At the moment I'm only using 8GB, but 32GB of "Balistix" is on the way, and a 2TB Evo 870+. Another bummer is how old a new XPS seems to be in terms of multi-display options, motherboard, and GPU. I guess XPS doesn't mean the same thing it did years ago. I had to get a laptop with a touch panel so I could get out of the office after work. I can't sit here any longer...
No difference, in both my video editors (Corel and Cyberlink). I use that much RAM because I wanted to fill all the 4 channels of RAM per each CPU, for maximum memory speed. Since I have two CPU, that meant 8 memory sticks, each 8GB.
As for the storage speed, it's irrelevant. Either I save on my RAID5 HDD, on a SDD or on a RAM drive, the writing speed is the same. Way below what my RAID5 can deliver. You can check that on your computer too.
My workstation has an nvidia GTX1080 and I can scrub directly 4K videos without any proxy files. When I scrub 4K, the GPU Video Decode goes up to about 20-25%. If I encode in 4K, the CUDA 3D cores get used at 20%, the NVENC Ecoding block gets used also at about 25%.
SteveMartinUSA

Post by SteveMartinUSA »

I'm not thrilled with the performance of the xps 9500 with it's gtx 1650 gpu. I prefer tablet style or 2 in 1 but they're even slower (on paper). But my iPad Air 3 running Lumafusion has very good performance, with no proxy files. But there I'm always trying to free up space for 4k/60fps footage.

What laptops work well for VideoStudio?
SoNic67
motherboard: Dell Precision T7610
processor: dual Intel Xeon E5-2667 V2
ram: 64 GB
Video Card: nVidia GTX 1080
sound_card: SB ZxR
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 8 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC U2879VF
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2020

Post by SoNic67 »

Did you look in the BIOS to see if you can disable iGPU / Optimus?
If you don't have that option, you need a laptop that has that option.

Here is a list:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... ch.813459/

"Discrete mode -> BIOS GFX set to PEG"
SteveMartinUSA

Post by SteveMartinUSA »

Yeah, I checked the BIOS and the XPS 9500 doesn't have that option, but the 9700 model does. The 9700 is the 17 inch XPS laptop, but it's also got a better GPU and better cooling.
SteveMartinUSA

Post by SteveMartinUSA »

Tletter, the tutorials you listed are all 5+ years old, which kind of strengthens my argument of not having many good tutorials to choose from. Try searching "speed ramping videostudio 2020" and if you weed out the Time Remapping disaster that crashes consistently then you're only left with only one or two old tutorials. Compare with "speed ramping filmora 9", or other editor. I do have pretty good success with "variable speed" option though. That's definitely better than Filmora's approach of slicing the clip up and having all kinds of junk on the timeline.

Is it really possible (or enjoyable!) to edit with enough precision using a 720 x 480 proxy, like to perform accurate edits and color grading? Even the Full HD proxies I made are of such poor quality that I consider them insufficient for anything but the most basic editing--the opposite of eye candy.

What am I missing?
RobertOZ
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A86 1.04E01
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
Video Card: Radeon HD 5770
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 32" IPS LED (Main) HP 23fi IPS LED
Corel programs: VSX4-X10 VS 2018/2019/2020 & MS 3D

Post by RobertOZ »

Steve,
See if these are a bit more up to date for you,

https://learn.corel.com/video-tutorials ... 7b76e-3c2f
Dell Inspiron 7567,Win 10(1903) Intel Kaby-Lake i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5,dual drives, 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Samsung 28" 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor
PS23 Ultimate, PSP 2020, PhotoMirage, Painter 2019, VS 2020 Ult
SteveMartinUSA

Post by SteveMartinUSA »

Yes, I've seen all those tutorials from Corel--thank you. They're fast and to the point with great voices in the background, and beautiful. But if you believe what Corel shows you then you'll spend days trying to get things like Time Remapping to work, crash after crash after crash, thinking it's something you did wrong...

Independent tutorials help save you time by telling you not to bother, to use the variable speed option instead. I don't see a lot of people that dedicate themselves to VS, showing you the way (probably because they're too busy trying to get VS to work correctly). By comparison, look for RobHK on YouTube and look at all of the tutorials he's done on LumaFusion, or many others on that one. I think we've been very lenient with Corel with all the crashing and lack of performance. They're great marketers and mediocre developers.
tletter

Post by tletter »

SteveMartinUSA wrote:Tletter, the tutorials you listed are all 5+ years old, which kind of strengthens my argument of not having many good tutorials to choose from.
Many of Gripps videos are perfectly relevant as the filters and effects that he explains are still part of VS. However, if you've mastered them then you're well on your way to being a VS guru so perhaps you should start making helpful tutorials for VS users.
SteveMartinUSA wrote:Try searching "speed ramping videostudio 2020" and if you weed out the Time Remapping disaster that crashes consistently then you're only left with only one or two old tutorials.
Speed ramping/time remapping is loosely defined as the art of speeding up or slowing down your shots for the purpose of dramatic/creative effect. VS's variable speed feature appears to do just that. There are recent YT tutorials on the use of variable speed in VS, just search for them. However, even older tutorials on variable speed are still relevant as this feature hasn't changed much over the years.
SteveMartinUSA wrote:I think we've been very lenient with Corel with all the crashing and lack of performance.
There are many comments on this forum about VS crashing, not leveraging modern hardware, and lacking QA for new releases. The question is whether the VS's sales of new releases are declining and if so will that drive Corel to address some of these issues.

tletter
SteveMartinUSA

Post by SteveMartinUSA »

Good points. I'm going to try a few more Filmora tutorials, see if I can tolerate VS proxy files, etc. I do like VS but their poor QA is like a virus, wasting all of our time. I've been in the database development business for several decades now :) and know the software business well. I'm pretty happy with Lumafusion except my iPad 256GB means I'm always moving things around, and the Lightning port is slow............ I should have sprung for the iPad pro with more storage. Cheers!