NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Browse = "No Files Found" ..? (Steam Folder)

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Browse = "No Files Found" ..? (Steam Folder)

Postby Troy at TheGTAMblog » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:03 pm

I love using PaintShop Pro but I've mainly been right-clicking on Images from Windows Explorer and Opening With (PSPro) for a long time - I haven't utilized BROWSE in a loooong time... At one time though, it worked well.

Recently, I went to use Browse and it wouldn't show any Images that are in the Folders. :?: I tried Adding the Folder (in the Folder Tree in PSPro), I tried navigating to the folders in the Computer section (of the Folder Tree) but nothing seems to bring up the images in the folder.

Is there a limit in PaintShop Pro, to how many images can be in a folder and be recognized? [The folder I am trying to open has over 1000+ images!]

- I have waited up to 15 minutes, in case it was a caching/loading issue
- I tried relaunching PSPro as Administrator, in case it was an access permissions issue
- I tried restarting the PC, in case I was doing too much previously to opening the folder

The images are seen in Windows Explorer and if I right-click on the Folder Tree in PsPRo and "Open location on computer", it opens Explorer and shows all the images in there - so they are there, heh.

I'm sure it worked at one time so... I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what might cause this, or what I can try to get it working again?
Thanks!

Paint Shop Pro 2019 Ultimate (64-bit)
Version 21.1.0.22

[Attaching screenshot of folder with no images showing in PSPro, behind the branding ident is the phrase "No Files Found"]
PainShop Pro 2019 Ultimate, Browse = No Files Found, what .jpg

Edit:
I am adding the name "Steam Folder" to the title, as it appears this problem only exists with folders that the game client software "Steam" uses to take/hold screenshot images from games.
It is a popular gaming client, handling games, selling and running them since 2003; and it saves screenshots taken within the games in subfolders of the client (part of Program FIles x86).
I am not sure if this will help someone think/know what the issue may be, but
This Issue Only Occurs with Steam Folders and Screenshots Taken by the Steam software Client

Thanks for any ideas, still!
Troy at TheGTAMblog

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
processor: Intel i3-8300
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 1060
sound_card: Creative Labs Tactic Alpha 3D THX Certified
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 13TB total
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell 2407WFP
Corel programs: PaintShopPro, VideoStudio

Re: Browse = "No Files Found" ..? (Steam Folder)

Postby JoeB » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:54 pm

In what format does that program save the screenshots?
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Postby Troy at TheGTAMblog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:15 am

JoeB wrote:In what format does that program save the screenshots?

Hello Joe,

It just saves it in JPG (JPEG) format. Looking at the images in PSPro it says RGB 8bits/channel [sorry I don't know enough about graphics to know what that means, heh]

I can open the screenshots one-at-a-time in PsPRo too - it's just the Browse that won't look into the Folder...

Thanks
Troy at TheGTAMblog

Postby hartpaul » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:55 am

Can you try making a new open folded "Test " on your desktop and then use windows explorer to open your steam folder and copy files into that Test folder .
Then use PSP to navigate to that Test folder on your desktop and see if they show there. You might also put a few other non steam jpgs into that test folder as well.
Systems XP, Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.2007 & version 1803 Build 17134.285
hartpaul
Advisor

motherboard: AsusTex P7P55D
processor: IntelCore I 5 2.67 Ghz
ram: 8 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
sound_card: Nvidia High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC
Corel programs: PSP8,X2 to X9,2018,2019

Postby Troy at TheGTAMblog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 am

hartpaul wrote:Can you try making a new open folded "Test " on your desktop and then use windows explorer to open your steam folder and copy files into that Test folder .
Then use PSP to navigate to that Test folder on your desktop and see if they show there. You might also put a few other non steam jpgs into that test folder as well.

Great idea!

I created a folder on the Desktop and PsPro was able to show both the Steam-created Screenshots and some other JPGs! 8)

Is there an Account or ID that I can assign some Permissions to PsPro (for the Security/Permissions of the Steam Folders in Windows)?
I tried running PSPro as Administrator but that didn't seem to help...

Edit:
I also tried to open just a random "game screenshots" Folder I had in another location/directory (eg. F:/Games/Screenshots) and PsPro could Browse that one just fine - it had about 900 Images.
I might try another, larger folder once I find one (with 10k+ images, to see if that has anything to do with it).
It does seem to be only those Steam-created folders, however.

Thanks for the asisstance!
Troy at TheGTAMblog

Postby hartpaul » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 am

Just some fun detective work to eliminate what may be causing the problems. :D
1. Now can you Make another folder on the desktop with the same name as as steam folder that is causing problems and copy some bad folder steam items to the desktop steam named folder and see if PSP can see them there.
then if that works OK
2. Delete the desktop folder witnh the steam name. Copy the whole steam folder to the desktop and see if PSP can find the images.
and if that works
3. Again delete the desktop steam folder copy and then Move the Steam folder to the desktop and see if PSP can see images in that new location. Be careful now as that folder is the only copy you may have - would be better if you can make a couple of copies in separate locations - external drive, USB stick , different folder.
4. Name a new folder in the original location with the same name as the steam folder and copy some images from the original steam folder (now moved to the desktop). See if PSP can see the images in a copy of the folder in its original location . This would help to determine if it is that folder or something above it in the folder tree. Also check if new captures can go into that folder or won't the capture process use the same or a past folder and creates a new folder with each session.
Systems XP, Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.2007 & version 1803 Build 17134.285
hartpaul
Advisor

Postby Troy at TheGTAMblog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:30 pm

hartpaul wrote:Just some fun detective work to eliminate what may be causing the problems. :D
1. Now can you Make another folder on the desktop with the same name as as steam folder that is causing problems and copy some bad folder steam items to the desktop steam named folder and see if PSP can see them there.
then if that works OK
2. Delete the desktop folder witnh the steam name. Copy the whole steam folder to the desktop and see if PSP can find the images.
and if that works
3. Again delete the desktop steam folder copy and then Move the Steam folder to the desktop and see if PSP can see images in that new location. Be careful now as that folder is the only copy you may have - would be better if you can make a couple of copies in separate locations - external drive, USB stick , different folder.
4. Name a new folder in the original location with the same name as the steam folder and copy some images from the original steam folder (now moved to the desktop). See if PSP can see the images in a copy of the folder in its original location . This would help to determine if it is that folder or something above it in the folder tree. Also check if new captures can go into that folder or won't the capture process use the same or a past folder and creates a new folder with each session.

Thank you very much for all these directions to try :D

However, I believe I have found what the issue is and why Paintshop Pro is not able to BROWSE the Steam Screenshot Folders...

I will return in a moment to post my solution - hopefully it can help others use PSPro with Steam, too :mrgreen:
Troy at TheGTAMblog

Postby Troy at TheGTAMblog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:55 pm

After playing around with both Steam and PaintShop Pro, I believe I have found what the issue was, where PaintShop Pro was not able to see the Screenshots when trying to Browse within PsPro... I will include a large collage/screenshot showing what I found and how to change it:

Steam Screenshots and Paintshop Pro (How To Fix) by Troy from The GTAM Blog 950x512.jpg

[It looks a little busy/crazy - and had to be shrunk down to comply with Upload Restrictions - so I will explain, heh]

In PaintShop Pro, there are some Exclusions that were already in the program (built-in, on install) that, while helpful, interfered with where Steam keeps game Screenshots.
These are located in:
File > Preferences > General Program Preferences
In the Manage category, Excluded Items section, there is a button for Uncataloged Folders.
[These folders are not utilized by PsPro, and while I'm not sure why, I assume it is because they are large System Folders and may result in duplicates or 'garbage' images being read, taking up time and space for Thumbnails]

In these Uncataloged Folders, I found
C:\Program Files
and Steam is installed (by Default) to
C:\Program Files (x86)

It appears that PsPro thinks that "Program Files (x86)" is part of, or is, "Program Files" - so it excludes that from use; thus, it is not possible to BROWSE those folders with PsPro.

Removing the "C:\Program FIles" from the Uncataloged Folders, I tried to open a game's Screenshots Folder (where Steam normally keeps them still) with BROWSE in PsPro...
It worked! :mrgreen:

That was it then, it appears removing that Folder from that category is all that needs to be done and Paintshop Pro can then Browse and Catalogue (Thumbnail) those Folders. In the Screen Capture I am attaching, there is an open Steam Screenshots Folder in the background, showing that it indeed now works with PsPro. Perhaps this can be removed from future versions of PsPro..? [Perhaps it is too important (to exclude this system folder) I am not sure of why it is being excluded from use..]

Hopefully this can help others that want to use Paintshop Pro with Steam to share their Screenshots, too

[Thanks anyway for all the assistance, everyone!]
Troy at TheGTAMblog

Postby jayson1945 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 pm

good detective work. Not all of us have the persistence and determination to find solution to problems and just give up (I'm talking about me! :oops: )
jayson1945

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
processor: Intel Core i-5 3.2Ghz
ram: 4GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ
Corel programs: PSP X2, X4, X7, PSP 2018,

Postby hartpaul » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:54 pm

Just a thought , Is it possible to adjust a setting in Steam so that the jpgs are saved in thge Documents folder or anywhere outside the Program Files folders. That way PSP will be able to access the images.
I suggest that because there are a lot of different type files that are stored in program files when programs are installed. We have already seen cases where certain types of pdf files that were included in a folder with jpgs caused PSP to crash. So it may be that somewhere in the future some od file included with a program could cause a crash of PSP.
hartpaul
Advisor

Postby patara » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 am

I use Steam and I changed my Screenshot folder so it was out of the C Drive system files.

The steps:
Open Steam Software and click on “View” and then “Settings”
In the Dialog window that opens click on “In-Game”
On the right, is an option “Screenshot Folder”. It is below the screenshot shortcut key option.
Click on “Screenshot Folder” and select or create a new folder where you want to save then click on “Select” and then click on “Ok”.
I made a new folder called Steam Screenshots in My Pictures folder.
patara

motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H P5K
processor: Intel i5-3570K CPU at 3.40 GHz
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: GeForce GTX 1060 GI Gaming 6G
sound_card: VIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 250 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell U2715H
Corel programs: PSP7 to PSP 2019

Postby Troy at TheGTAMblog » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:39 am

jayson1945 wrote:good detective work. Not all of us have the persistence and determination to find solution to problems and just give up (I'm talking about me! :oops: )

Heh, thanks - partly I wanted to find out because I like using Paint Shop Pro and it worked before without issues, so the other part was curiosity wouldn't let me stop until I found out what it was...

hartpaul wrote:Just a thought , Is it possible to adjust a setting in Steam so that the jpgs are saved in thge Documents folder or anywhere outside the Program Files folders. That way PSP will be able to access the images.
I suggest that because there are a lot of different type files that are stored in program files when programs are installed. We have already seen cases where certain types of pdf files that were included in a folder with jpgs caused PSP to crash. So it may be that somewhere in the future some od file included with a program could cause a crash of PSP.

This is a great idea; that way, people wouldn't have to mess around in PSPro's Preferences. I'm sure many people change their Default Screenshot folder... [I know I have in the past when I had a smaller drive]

patara wrote:I use Steam and I changed my Screenshot folder so it was out of the C Drive system files.

The steps:
Open Steam Software and click on “View” and then “Settings”
In the Dialog window that opens click on “In-Game”
On the right, is an option “Screenshot Folder”. It is below the screenshot shortcut key option.
Click on “Screenshot Folder” and select or create a new folder where you want to save then click on “Select” and then click on “Ok”.
I made a new folder called Steam Screenshots in My Pictures folder.

Nice, thanks for sharing the Steps - did it work and PaintShop Pro can open them without issue? [I haven't had a chance to try that yet]
Troy at TheGTAMblog

Postby patara » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Yes it works.
If I use the Organizer when in the Edit Tab of PSP I can see and open the images.

One important thing I did forget, sorry.

In the Steam settings you must select Save an uncompressed copy. The option is underneath where you set the Screenshot folder.
If that is not selected, it will only save to the default ProgramFiles (x86) folder.
Even with adding ones own screenshot folder, Steam will also save a copy in the default folder, i.e. it saves in both places.
In the ProgramFiles (x86) folder it saves the thumbnail and the jpg file and in the user screenshot folder it saves a png file.

The only way I know of getting around that would be to set up a symbolic junction link for the Screenshot folder.
That tricks the program into thinking the folder in your own User files is actually the default screenshot folder.

I just tested that and it worked.
I set up the junction link with a Command Prompt.
I took a Steam screenshot. It saved the thumbnail and full sized jpg and png image into the linked folder on E Drive. No images were saved in Program Files (x86) folder. PSP was still able to access the images when I selected the Screenshot folder on my E Drive.
patara

motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H P5K
processor: Intel i5-3570K CPU at 3.40 GHz
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: GeForce GTX 1060 GI Gaming 6G
sound_card: VIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 250 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell U2715H
Corel programs: PSP7 to PSP 2019