NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Project Properties - what does it do and how to use it?

Project Properties - what does it do and how to use it?

Postby Slapierre » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:18 am

I've never thought about it and now I'm wondering.

If I plan on exporting a project in 1080p and 24p, is this how I should use my project properties regardless I shot some footage in 4k and/or in 30,60,120, 240 fps?? Might be a dumb question but I never really cared what was the project properties, but now that I am digging deeper in film making I wonder if it affect the rendered file or not.

Thanks!
Slapierre

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Asus Hybrid CFX M5A78L
processor: 3.80 AMD FX 4300 Quad Core
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: GT1060
sound_card: OnBoard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ GL2460
Corel programs: Corel Videostudio 2018

Re: Project Properties - what does it do and how to use it?

Postby lata » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi
Project Properties basically define the shape and size of the preview screen, in addition sets the frame rate for the timelines, other settings relate to the video format / codec etc
It is best to use the same properties for the project as your video properties.

There is an option in Preferences (F6) to Show Messages when inserting First video….…..
This activates from a new project, adding the First video will prompt to match the project to the video file.
It will work for most video types but unusual or non standard video will not work, here a manual approach can be used to set PP’s frame rate and size.
When we see the Show Messages it explains that matching the properties will help in Smart Render, another feature of video studio, speeds up the render process.
For me its important to set the timelines to the same frame rate as the video then all frames within the video will be displayed. If the timeline is set to 30fps and the video is 25 fps, the program will add 5 duplicate frames.
If you are intending to mix video types, frame rates etc. then something has to change when rendering, using 24fps and rendering to 30 fps may should show a slight stutter when played back, more noticeable when panning.

Share- is where we can convert / render the project to a new video file, many formats available
To the top left is an option to Save as Project Settings, (a little greyed out), tick the box, down arrow for same as first clip. The latter may not be available for non – standard video.
What you choose in Share depends on what you are intending to create, Video for the internet, BluRay or DVD disc will require a different format.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Re: Project Properties - what does it do and how to use it?

Postby Slapierre » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:32 am

Thanks lata, it make sense and was kind of obvious. Don't know why I didnt thought about that sooner.
Slapierre

motherboard: Asus Hybrid CFX M5A78L
processor: 3.80 AMD FX 4300 Quad Core
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: GT1060
sound_card: OnBoard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ GL2460
Corel programs: Corel Videostudio 2018