NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Is there an "easy" way to slice an image (using guides)?

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

Is there an "easy" way to slice an image (using guides)?

Postby stinky666 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi all

Is there an easy (easier) way of slicing an image?

I would normally add guides and then using the snap properties, i'd go from one guide to another and export each file individually. Is there a way to pre-load those guides that I already have on my image into the Image Slicer, and then simply export, and it will slice automatically? Or something to this effect at least.. I have tried manually doing the Image Slicer and it's so tricky/fathy to use, it's difficult to get the exact pixels I need "from top" etc.

I can't see a way to do this in the image slicer options, nor is there even a way I can manually input a number from: top, bottom, left or right. I have to manually add/drag the lines up/down or left/right.

Surely there must be a way to easily slice images, hopefully by it slicing using my Guides that I have added.. ?

Thanks in advance
stinky666

operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: Intel Core i5-3330S CPU 2.70GHz 2.70GHz
ram: 8gb
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 899gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Generic PnP Monitor (Dell)
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro 2019 Ultimate

Re: Is there an "easy" way to slice an image (using guides)?

Postby LeviFiction » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:25 am

The Image Slicer has been around forever, it's a really old tool.

You can set a specific pixel location (not inch or cm sadly) by double clicking on the guide handle. This will let you set the position and the color of the guide.

I don't know of anything build into PSP that will automatically slice the image based on the guides. In fact I don't even think scripts will work because we can't find the guides using scripts (really annoying). . Gonna have to ruminate on this one.

Technically, I could create a script that lets you add guides to the image, then uses those added guides to do the slicing. That would cover both of your desires. 1) To be able to add guides using X and Y coordinates and 2) To slice based on those guides.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 10
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Postby ConalO » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:18 am

Nothing to do with the image slicer or guides but how about a custom selection (rectangle) at your sliced image coordinates and promote to layer or new image for each selection?
ConalO

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: Not Available
processor: Intel Core i7 5600
ram: 8GB
Corel programs: PSP 2019 Ultimate

Postby stinky666 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:36 pm

LeviFiction wrote:The Image Slicer has been around forever, it's a really old tool.

You can set a specific pixel location (not inch or cm sadly) by double clicking on the guide handle. This will let you set the position and the color of the guide.

I don't know of anything build into PSP that will automatically slice the image based on the guides. In fact I don't even think scripts will work because we can't find the guides using scripts (really annoying). . Gonna have to ruminate on this one.

Technically, I could create a script that lets you add guides to the image, then uses those added guides to do the slicing. That would cover both of your desires. 1) To be able to add guides using X and Y coordinates and 2) To slice based on those guides.

Hi Levi, thanks or the reply.
I definitely didn't realise I could double click to input custom numbers, that will help a lot because I was zooming in by 150 - 200% to try move it up exactly 1 or 2 pixels, and when it's on a large 2000x7000px (WxH) image and your PC is not the best, it easily becomes intolerable.

I guess I will suggest this in the next version, for being able to easily slice or do stuff with Guides. I think it would be an extremely useful tool for many users.

If you can do a script that helps, then I will truly appreciate definitely. As I slice images a lot so anything that can save some time will be beneficial - and of course hopefully eliminate so much tediousness.

Thanks in advance.
stinky666

operating_system: Windows 8.1
processor: Intel Core i5-3330S CPU 2.70GHz 2.70GHz
ram: 8gb
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 899gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Generic PnP Monitor (Dell)
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro 2019 Ultimate

Postby Jean-Luc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:18 pm

stinky666 wrote:
If you can do a script that helps, then I will truly appreciate definitely. As I slice images a lot so anything that can save some time will be beneficial - and of course hopefully eliminate so much tediousness.

See the desired script in the Scripting group (on top of screen).
:D
http://www.paintshoppro.eu
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9, 2018 and 2019.
Jean-Luc

motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018, 2019

Postby LeviFiction » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:51 pm

You are free to use that script of course - here is the link - viewtopic.php?f=104&t=65029

Just be aware that I encountered weird errors that I can't always reproduce which makes it hard to diagnose. It should technically work just fine, but it's still in the testing phase.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Return to Paint Shop Pro