NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Video Studio 2020 Wishlist

Video Studio 2020 Wishlist

Postby lata » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:24 pm

As always when a new version is released we provide a topic in which your wishes for the next version can be posted.
This allows us to direct any visiting Corel development staff to just one topic to see what users want rather than wading through a few hundred posts.

Compare versions up to 2019
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Re: Video Studio 2020 Wishlist

Postby weaver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:04 pm

More stability and speed. The VS2018 requires for the same job on the same computer by about 30% more time in comparison to older X7 version. I do not think that they should release new version of the VS every year, but there is a huge space for the improvement of the recent version. ( use more processor capacity etc).

I would prefer in the future rather every year some more options, effects etc instead of the complete new VS. It would be ideal to release let us say every second-fifth years a new VS but with required stability and less bugs, and every years just some new option package to the existing VS.
weaver

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
processor: intel i7
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Radeon
sound_card: C.Media
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 20TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: FULL HD
Corel programs: VS S6,8,10 on W XP, VS X4,6,7,2018

Postby iNate » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:54 am

Better custom installer. Allow us to choose what gets installed. Components like MyDVD are a waste of time and bandwidth installing/uninstalling when the user doesn't want or need them. There are some redundant components bundled in the package (NB + Boris Titler… I would only install NewBlue's). Some components are of little use to many users, but take up massive amounts of space (HandScript, RotoPen, VitaScene LE, and Adorage 13)… This is even more confusing, with the way the ProDAD products often aren't listed in Add/Remove Programs! Often have to go to Program Files to find the uninstallers for them. Default install of VideoStudio Ultimate probably wastes about 4-5GB of storage, which is a lot on a 128-250GB SSD (when you have other large creative applications installed).

Configurable Timeline Track Order.

Video + Audio Tracks: Ability to show both Audio and Video Tracks on the Timeline.

Better Dual Monitor Layout

Option for Source + Clip Monitor, instead of one that you have to toggle.

LUT Intensity Slider: Supporting LUTs is worthless without an intensity slider.

Color Wheels

Better Integration of Plug-ins into the interface (Example: MAGIX Movie Edit Pro, VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum)

Better Audio Filters - better workflow for Audio in general. The track layout makes this beyond frustrating, currently.

OpenFX and VST Plug-In Support

Support for DirectShow Encoders, like Grass Valley HQX. The decoders work to load and edit video, but you cannot access the encoder when rendering to AVI.

More Flexibility for Setting up Smart Proxy Profiles (i.e. 720p Grass Valley HQ in AVI Wrapper, using the free DirectShow Encoder - impossible in VS2018 (and from what I've seen, also 2019...)).

The minimum track thickness is still too wide... Ugh. If not working on a track, I'd like to be able to pancake them!

Running thumbnail on video clips, instead of just one at the beginning.

Proper Support for media generators, so that we can just drag NB or Boris Titler onto a title track; without having to waste Overlay tracks and use Transparent PNG images to workaround this limitation. There are more overlay tracks now... but it's still quite annoying, when we're forced to have at least one Title Tracks visible, anyways... and you can't pancake the tracks for space efficiency!

Allow us to use Time Remapping without silencing video tracks.

Round Tripping between PaintShop Pro and VideoStudio (i.e. Right click an image -> Edit in PaintShop Pro). I can't believe this potential integration point hasn't been exploited by Corel...

Ability to set up an external audio editor for Audio/Video Objects (for Audio Editing and Cleanup/Restoration, like in VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum).

I still can't believe there aren't audio faders on the track headers... given how thick they are... there's certainly room for it.
iNate

motherboard: ASUS GL503VD
processor: Intel i7-7700HQ
ram: 32GB
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 10xx
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 250+512GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS 15.6" + HP 24" 1080p IPS Displays
Corel programs: PSPX9, VSX9 Pro, VS2018 (Refund), WPOX7

Postby asik1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:11 am

Inate, I like you do lot of cleanup, I remove also all the languages.

I'll send you a PM with a tip.
asik1

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ENGT430
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Postby 1jhill » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:55 am

Well my first would be support for AMD GPU acceleration. Pretty surprised that Corel chose CUDA and Quicksync for pinnacle and VSP before having OpenCL first. OpenCL all three can accelerate and use, CUDA is specific to Nvidia and Quicksync to Intel. Seems an odd choice to pick two proprietary codes before choosing one that works on all. I can see adding them as second choices since Nvidia will work better with CUDA than OpenCL and same for Intel and Quicksync but as only choices limits users options on hardware or if already has an expensive AMD GPU it’s unlikely they will buy a replacement GPU before just returning your software and going another route.

As it happens I’m in the market for a new GPU soon so I’ll probably just pick up an RTX 2060 (was hoping for Navi) but if I had just bought one of the Vega 56 that we’re on sale for cheap recently then I’d be returning your software and going with Vegas or Cyberlink. Seems silly to limit yourself to who you can sale to (a lot of Ryzen systems, cpu of the year 2018 and growing for 2019 with built in Ryzen GPU that won’t be able to utilize your software)
1jhill

motherboard: Asus maximus hero vii
processor: I7 4790k 4.6ghz OC
Video Card: AMD R9 390
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1tb
Corel programs: Video studio 2018

Postby iNate » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:27 am

1jhill wrote:Well my first would be support for AMD GPU acceleration. Pretty surprised that Corel chose CUDA and Quicksync for pinnacle and VSP before having OpenCL first. OpenCL all three can accelerate and use, CUDA is specific to Nvidia and Quicksync to Intel. Seems an odd choice to pick two proprietary codes before choosing one that works on all. I can see adding them as second choices since Nvidia will work better with CUDA than OpenCL and same for Intel and Quicksync but as only choices limits users options on hardware or if already has an expensive AMD GPU it’s unlikely they will buy a replacement GPU before just returning your software and going another route.

As it happens I’m in the market for a new GPU soon so I’ll probably just pick up an RTX 2060 (was hoping for Navi) but if I had just bought one of the Vega 56 that we’re on sale for cheap recently then I’d be returning your software and going with Vegas or Cyberlink. Seems silly to limit yourself to who you can sale to (a lot of Ryzen systems, cpu of the year 2018 and growing for 2019 with built in Ryzen GPU that won’t be able to utilize your software)

Ryzen CPus don't package an iGPU unless it's an APU. This means no UVD or VCE with those CPUs... So someone who has a Ryzen CPU with an Nvidia GPU will only have CUDA as an option, anyways.

With Intel Core iSeries CPUs, QSV is a given unless it's HEDT. They all come with Intel HD Graphics, which include QuickSync Video (Encode and Decode).

Intel has higher market share than Ryzen - especially considering how good even some older CPUs still are. Nvidia has higher marketshare than Radeon. It makes sense to prioritize in that order: Intel > Nvidia >> AMD.

Economics is a thing. Fact of Life.

VEGAS only does Decode Acceleration with QuickSync Video. So, if you have a Ryzen CPU, you won't get any Decode Acceleration for H.264, HEVC, XAVC, etc. in VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum or VEGAS Pro. It ONLY does this with QuickSync Video. It won't use AMD UVD. It only uses AMD VCE for Rendering to Supported Formats (typically same as QSV or NVENC).

Not sure about the specifics with CyberLink, but they have historically had optimizations for AMD Platforms, so it wouldn't surprise me if they used both the Decoder and Encoder.

Also need to make a distinction that companies often don't... VideoStudio is not CUDA-Optimized. It simply uses the NVENC SDK to Accelerate Encoding with NVIDIA's SIP, which is distributed on the chip. This is all under the umbrella of CUDA, but it's not CUDA. It's not using CUDA for Image Processing, for example. It's just using NVENC, and I think NVDEC in VS2019. If you have an Intel Core iSeries CPU, then this almost doesn't matter since 7th Gen Intel Core iSeries CPUs are on par with Pascal GTX GPU SIPs for CODEC Support and Bit Depth Support (i.e. 10-Bit HEVC Decode/Encode Acceleration and up to 8K Resolution). You will get Decode and Encode Acceleration even if you didn't have a discrete GPU. You aren't gaining much beyond that, except maybe better graphics processing (OpenGL, etc.) assuming the NLE now is allowed to run on the GeForce Card (VS2018 doesn't, but 2019 may... I haven't checked).

IMO, CPU is everything. VideoStudio is not the most multi-thread optimized application, so you're probably better off with an Intel CPU if you use this application heavily, anyways.
iNate

Postby 1jhill » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:52 pm

iNate wrote:
1jhill wrote:Well my first would be support for AMD GPU acceleration. Pretty surprised that Corel chose CUDA and Quicksync for pinnacle and VSP before having OpenCL first. OpenCL all three can accelerate and use, CUDA is specific to Nvidia and Quicksync to Intel. Seems an odd choice to pick two proprietary codes before choosing one that works on all. I can see adding them as second choices since Nvidia will work better with CUDA than OpenCL and same for Intel and Quicksync but as only choices limits users options on hardware or if already has an expensive AMD GPU it’s unlikely they will buy a replacement GPU before just returning your software and going another route.

Ryzen CPus don't package an iGPU unless it's an APU. This means no UVD or VCE with those CPUs... So someone who has a Ryzen CPU with an Nvidia GPU will only have CUDA as an option, anyways.

With Intel Core iSeries CPUs, QSV is a given unless it's HEDT. They all come with Intel HD Graphics, which include QuickSync Video (Encode and Decode).

Intel has higher market share than Ryzen - especially considering how good even some older CPUs still are. Nvidia has higher marketshare than Radeon. It makes sense to prioritize in that order: Intel > Nvidia >> AMD.

VEGAS only does Decode Acceleration with QuickSync Video. So, if you have a Ryzen CPU, you won't get any Decode Acceleration for H.264, HEVC, XAVC, etc. in VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum or VEGAS Pro. It ONLY does this with QuickSync Video. It won't use AMD UVD. It only uses AMD VCE for Rendering to Supported Formats (typically same as QSV or NVENC).

Not sure about the specifics with CyberLink, but they have historically had optimizations for AMD Platforms, so it wouldn't surprise me if they used both the Decoder and Encoder.

Also need to make a distinction that companies often don't... VideoStudio is not CUDA-Optimized. It simply uses the NVENC SDK to Accelerate Encoding with NVIDIA's SIP, which is distributed on the chip. This is all under the umbrella of CUDA, but it's not CUDA. It's not using CUDA for Image Processing, for example. It's just using NVENC, and I think NVDEC in VS2019. If you have an Intel Core iSeries CPU, then this almost doesn't matter since 7th Gen Intel Core iSeries CPUs are on par with Pascal GTX GPU SIPs for CODEC Support and Bit Depth Support (i.e. 10-Bit HEVC Decode/Encode Acceleration and up to 8K Resolution). You will get Decode and Encode Acceleration even if you didn't have a discrete GPU. You aren't gaining much beyond that, except maybe better graphics processing (OpenGL, etc.) assuming the NLE now is allowed to run on the GeForce Card (VS2018 doesn't, but 2019 may... I haven't checked).

IMO, CPU is everything. VideoStudio is not the most multi-thread optimized application, so you're probably better off with an Intel CPU if you use this application heavily, anyways.

That’s good to know about Vegas, in their specs it says it supports acceleration for AMD, Nvidia and QSV but just like VSP and pinnacle it doesn’t do a break down of what’s decode and what’s encode, seems pretty crappy marketing in one way or another from all editors. Only CyberLink has a better break down of what is what and supports OpenCL so all hardware should be supported.

Your right about Ryzen and no iGPU, I thought they have an on board low level Vegas chip for some reason but that’s not right. Intel do all have an iGPU but the only downside is most systems you end up disabling it for a dedicated GPU to avoiding all the multi GPU issues so your left with just cpu or cpu + Nvidia as your only options.

As it stands I’ll probably go to Nvidia next GPU and Ryzen for next CPU but even without GPU support it’s not terrible rendering speed with just current i7, would just hope for more hardware options in 2019.
1jhill

Postby Pepi » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:57 pm

iNate wrote:...

Yes, it is clear that money speak and other reasons just follows. But isn't that good for Corel's customers to inform them: "Hey, we detected that your GPU is not on the supported list, go to this web site to find what are the supported models.". For example the following page says nothing about real requirements for the GPU: VideoStudio 2019 Requirements.

Greetings from my Radeon HD6900. And yes, it is not working after SP4 anymore so well :'(
--
Don't Panic
Pepi

Video Card: Damn Old
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2019; PaintShopPro 2019

Postby 1jhill » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:24 am

Pepi wrote:

Yes, it is clear that money speak and other reasons just follows. But isn't that good for Corel's customers to inform them: "Hey, we detected that your GPU is not on the supported list, go to this web site to find what are the supported models.". For example the following page says nothing about real requirements for the GPU: VideoStudio 2019 Requirements.

Greetings from my Radeon HD6900. And yes, it is not working after SP4 anymore so well :'(

Also choosing OpenCL isn’t like choosing AMD over Nvidia as Nvidia can do both (and Intel as well I believe). Just like back in the day of gaming with 3dfx, you’d make the game use OpenGL or direct x first so you could sell it to anybody and if you wanted to get extra special then you’d add 3dfx glide. Here they have chosen two specific formats before supporting the one that supports all. So if you just built a system and picked up one of the Vega 56 or 64 cards that are going on sale for really good pricing right now (or a Vega 7 which is showing better results as a workflow card and near equal gaming performance to a 2080) and then they buy VSP 2019 your gonna tell them oh no we don’t support that, go buy an Nvidia card. What’s more likely they return the software and get something that does support OpenCl (such as CyberLink) or they go buy a different card. Now you’ve limited your customer base rather than be able to sell to anyone, how is that for good economics.
1jhill

Postby iNate » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:33 am

Pepi wrote:

I think people need to have realistic expectations when using a GPU from 2010 with software and plug-ins released in 2019. No developer is going to care about that GPU. It's far too old. You shouldn't expect them to. No one will support that ancient GPU, and supporting hardware that old is a waste of time. The manufacturers don't even keep the drivers up to date for those cards.
iNate

Postby iNate » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:42 am

1jhill wrote:
Pepi wrote:

Also choosing OpenCL isn’t like choosing AMD over Nvidia as Nvidia can do both (and Intel as well I believe). Just like back in the day of gaming with 3dfx, you’d make the game use OpenGL or direct x first so you could sell it to anybody and if you wanted to get extra special then you’d add 3dfx glide. Here they have chosen two specific formats before supporting the one that supports all. So if you just built a system and picked up one of the Vega 56 or 64 cards that are going on sale for really good pricing right now (or a Vega 7 which is showing better results as a workflow card and near equal gaming performance to a 2080) and then they buy VSP 2019 your gonna tell them oh no we don’t support that, go buy an Nvidia card. What’s more likely they return the software and get something that does support OpenCl (such as CyberLink) or they go buy a different card. Now you’ve limited your customer base rather than be able to sell to anyone, how is that for good economics.

NVidia's OpenCL support is there for compatibility. CUDA is the way, with those cards. High end professional applications and Video Plug-Ins implement proper CUDA support (not just NVENC and "call it CUDA!"). Their OpenCL support is more like a compatibility layer...

Also, it seems no one on this forums understand what the CUDA support in VideoStudio actually is. It's not "actually CUDA." It's just support for NVENC/NVDEC, which is something completely different... but every consumer NLE posts CUDA on their website to drive upgrades or get sales from people who don't know how to interpret the information they're being given.

VideoStudio using DirectX Video Acceleration - NOT CUDA. This was listed on the system requirements for VS2018, but they seem to have removed it. Aside from that, they use QSV and NVENC (and maybe NVDEV) for Decode and Encode Acceleration or supported formats. This is listed on the feature table as "Intel #th Generation Optimization' and "NVIDIA CUDA Optimization," which is horribly misleading - and blatant false advertisement, IMHO. The only thing they'd need to bring AMD up to par in VSP witih NVIDIA is support for Encoding (and maybe Decoding) H.264/HEVC and other supported formats (like VP8/VP9) with AMD VCD (and AMD UVD). OpenCL doesn't even factor in here...

In order for them to implement proper CUDA acceleration - like what Premiere Pro CC or Resolve does - they would need to completely revamp their video engine, and this clearly hasn't happened...

The information they give is misleading, and is accomplishing nothing but confusing users...

You know what "Intel 8th Gen Optimization" in the Feature Table for VSP means? Nothing… all it means is that they support QSV Encode/Decode. That's it. They don't even use AVX for Image Processing, Color, etc. The information they give implies they have put in a mountain of work to tailor the NLE for those CPUs... when all they do is use the Intel/NVIDIA SIPs to Encode and Decode supported video streams, Lol. That's not hard to do. You just change out which Encoder or Decoder you use for those formats!
iNate

Postby 1jhill » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:28 am

I see, that makes more sense. Well hoping they can patch in AMD VCD support as I would like to hold out for Navi to see what it delivers. Supposedly the new 20 series of cards have a better encoder for Nvidia than previous 10 series, I know AMD encoder isn’t supposed to be as good but no one knows what will be in Navi and it’s supposed to be AMD’s first true attempt at regaining some market share.
1jhill

Postby pepegota » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Cross or Overlap option for transitions.
pepegota

motherboard: ASUS Prime H370 - Plus
processor: Intel i7 - 8700
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GT 1030
sound_card: On board sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Ben Q, "21" LCD
Corel programs: VS 2018

Postby BJC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Videostudio has several FX's for cross and overlaps pepegota - what exactly do you mean

Crossfade FX.PNG
click on the image to see it bigger and clearer
BJC

ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB

Postby pepegota » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:16 pm

An option like Power Director so that you can choose whether the clips remain in position or move to the left.
pepegota

motherboard: ASUS Prime H370 - Plus
processor: Intel i7 - 8700
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GT 1030
sound_card: On board sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Ben Q, "21" LCD
Corel programs: VS 2018