NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

VS 2018 bugs

VS 2018 bugs

Postby blahemy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:27 pm

We've been using VS for three years and encountered multiple bugs and faults, but the latest version is far beyond worst expectations.
- AAC input is advertised, but in fact it doesn't work. Similarly 2 years ago XAVC input was advertised, but VS didn't recognise such files. They simply don't exist in the software's file browser.
- MP4 videos downloaded from Facebook appear without sound after being added to the timeline. Shortly after VS crashes. Support guys suggest you should 'simply' convert a file in a third party convertor and only then will you hear the sound in VS. (proof screen https://yadi.sk/i/iL6o0o_BJGW96A)
- Random clicking noise appears in MP4 videos shot even on DSLRs. Sometimes they migrate to the final, rendered video files, although output file properties are correct.If they don't migrate, it's still a torture to edit a video with this rubbish.
- Working area collapses during titles editing. This is outrageous, you can't work properly like this. See for yourselves:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/qqgycOAVTnk
But what shocked us even more, is that the support guys first ignored this question, and after some persistence finally answered that they know it's happening and they hope to cure it in the next SP. Seems they don't care people need to make titles all this time until the new service pack. (proof screen https://yadi.sk/i/U61_JZIQ8DwwgA)
- Almost no Russian fonts for titles.
- Not only is the product revolting, but the quality of the support is also digging the rock bottom. Instead of assuring people that there really is a bug and they'll try to fix it ASAP (and actually doing it) they try to make you believe that bugs aren't really bugs and if some other software works better - it's no advantage, but a drawback of that software (!) (proof screen https://yadi.sk/i/DnT-NwuUALyJZw)
Lately they've even stopped answering. This is totally appalling for the yearly $70.

Have you encountered something like mentioned above?
Did you have similar experience with the support team?

Is this OK to you?
blahemy

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: VS 2018 bugs

Postby lata » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi blahemy
and welcome to the forums

1 / The first link from the reply Corel Support does seem to cover the problem.
XAVC the complaint was 2 yeas ago, do they work now? You may have to provide a sample.
Downloading files from the internet can be troublesome as the download managers can recode the files, thereby not receiving the original uploaded files.
Different download managers do give different results, I find the Torch Browser pretty good.
As recommended the only option is to convert the files to a more editable format.

2 / The second link seems to indicate an unusual UI layout, unless you have set and saved that as one of the Custom options
Yes I have experienced my UI reverting to this layout followed by a crash of the program, I do not get as far as your video as VS simply closed
I have to say that since SP3 I have not experienced that UI issue?
I had also reported this to Corel.

3 / The third link refers to focus area boxes and also ACC audio.
Not fully explained and taken out of context, so do not fully understand the issues here.?

4 / again does not explain the original problem only your disapproval to Corels reply to you.?
Random clicking with clips placed on the timeline, not experienced that, but there was an issue of clicks after rendering, was quite difficult to replicate.
MP3 audio using the Lame Codec has / is a cause for concern

Hopefully the next update will address these and other issues.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby Scubbie » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:22 pm

I have on occasions had a problem with the UI change in an unexpected manner, but never when editing titles in the way you have shown in the 2nd issue video.

My resolution has been:

1. Move the video preview so that it floats above the main layout
  2. From the menu at the top of the screen select <Settings> <Layout Setting> <Switch to> <Default Layout>
  3. Alternatively press <F7> after floating the preview section (1.)

Like Trevor, I haven't had this issue with the current version of 2018.

VS will use a variety of different fonts, but I have found that some do not work correctly. This isn't something that is limited to VS for those specific fonts. Although I don't currently have them all installed, I do have access to a large library. Typically for me, it is specific symbols, such as the (c) symbol for the videos I use.

• If I were experiencing a specific issue with a font set I would look at the following:
  • Is it just this font set?
  • Is the issue restricted to just VS? Check my Windows settings and the keyboard and language settings. I would also consider looking at adding a batch file (autoexec.bat) to utilise the keyboard.sys file, just in case.
  • This can be removed later if it proves not to resolve the issue
  • Is there a similar one available which I can use instead?
  • Search the Internet for an alternative font set (there are many around)
  • Contact Corel's tech support with specific details of which fonts are having the problems and consider sending the files so that they can try them

I know that my issues are not the same as your own. Hopefully, the list above may prove to be helpful.

All the preset titles come with their own fonts. However, they are ALL able to be tailored to your specific needs. You can then save them as your favourites. I would also suggest that you put them all into the timeline and save that as a project (.vsp) file so that you can import them easily at a later date should you need to. I have done this with a few titles which I've personalised in the past and have benefited from this action on many occasions.

Personally, I've not had a problem when I've contacted Corel's support team in the past. I haven't needed to contact them recently. I can't comment on your own experiences as I'm not party to the entire exchange and it wouldn't be appropriate for you to share it with me anyway.
Scubbie

motherboard: Asus N76VJ
processor: Intel i7
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GT 635M
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio [built in]
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3TB +Ext.
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus & Hanns G HX281
Corel programs: VideoStudio Ult., PaintShop Pro Ult.

Postby tletter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:46 pm

blahemy wrote:- Random clicking noise appears in MP4 videos shot even on DSLRs. Sometimes they migrate to the final, rendered video files, although output file properties are correct.If they don't migrate, it's still a torture to edit a video with this rubbish.

VS adding blips in the audio track is a well known problem - see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61761&p=352602

blahemy wrote:- Almost no Russian fonts for titles.

Have you tried adding Russian fonts to your Windows OS?

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
tletter

processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018

Postby Scubbie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:25 pm

Strange things happen I guess...

Yesterday I experienced the issue mentioned above. It's the first time I've seen it and I wasn't editing any titles at the time. I was trimming a clip in a project's timeline.

I did try the workaround solution I mentioned above and it worked first time.
Scubbie

motherboard: Asus N76VJ
processor: Intel i7
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GT 635M
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio [built in]
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3TB +Ext.
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus & Hanns G HX281
Corel programs: VideoStudio Ult., PaintShop Pro Ult.

Postby MikeA » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:29 am

i have encountered a number of bugs in this 2018 VS version. Things happen that never used to happen before and make working with VS irritating. However, overall, I can still get what I want, with a bit of a struggle. Please fix them.
The things I see are:
1. Random crashes of the program for unknown reasons. This is a new one to me. Never used to happen.
2. If you delete a thumbnail in a library and then go out of that library and back, the thumbnail re-appears. I have had thumbnails disappear from the library too.
3. The layouts are still unpredictable. I can save a layout and later it doesn't apparently exist.
4. I get random 'corrupted video' file messages for no obvious reason, even when the clip is a still and not real video.
5. Relinking doesn't work very well. Certainly not intelligently (link a file but other files in the folder are not relinked automatically).

M
MikeA

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: MSI P67A-G43
processor: I7-2600K
ram: 16Gb
Video Card: NVidia GTX 460
sound_card: Integrated
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG Flatron

Postby blahemy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for a warm welcome, Trevor!

lata wrote:Downloading files from the internet can be troublesome as the download managers can recode the files, thereby not receiving the original uploaded files.
Different download managers do give different results, I find the Torch Browser pretty good.
As recommended the only option is to convert the files to a more editable format.

Seriously, I'm very much certain no VS-user should be bothered by things like this. MP4 is the most common format nowadays, people download videos like crazy. Problem with audio within the downloaded mp4 files is simply a plain defect of the product which ought to be fixed. It's rather strange that some people would suffer but still try 'to look on the bright side' of a faulty product they've bought. I understand when somebody from support tries this with an unsatisfied client (although doubtful tactic for company's public image), but users loving their torture and trying to justify it - sounds like Stockholm syndrome or possibly BDSM-club and is something quite unusual for the software market...sorry, I'm really surprised.

lata wrote:2 / The second link seems to indicate an unusual UI layout, unless you have set and saved that as one of the Custom options
Yes I have experienced my UI reverting to this layout followed by a crash of the program, I do not get as far as your video as VS simply closed
I have to say that since SP3 I have not experienced that UI issue?
I had also reported this to Corel.

Lucky you! As far as people further explain, this still is quite a problem even after SP3. Someone experienced UI layout fluctuations in different situations (not editing titles), but the fact itself is quite important.

lata wrote:3 / The third link refers to focus area boxes and also AAC audio.
Not fully explained and taken out of context, so do not fully understand the issues here.?

Yeah, the problem is pretty much there: AAC audio is still not recognised by VS. It just wouldn't show it in the library although the AAC-file is in the same file with something else. (images: https://yadi.sk/d/YYGqCoVbEsiBpA)

lata wrote:4 / again does not explain the original problem only your disapproval to Corels reply to you.?
Random clicking with clips placed on the timeline, not experienced that, but there was an issue of clicks after rendering, was quite difficult to replicate.
MP3 audio using the Lame Codec has / is a cause for concern

The problem is that support people could react differently - report the problem to developers, so the latter could eliminate it. Instead of tales about other video editors 'being bogged down' by their ability to read everything correctly.
blahemy

Return to VideoStudio