NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

Slow performance on new fast computer. Why?

Slow performance on new fast computer. Why?

Postby jungleexplorer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:46 pm

So I built me a new computer with some pretty fast upgrades to my old computer. But VS X10 is not working well in edit mode. Just very slow response to actions. It as slow or slower then my old system. What cloud be causing this and what can I do to fix it?

Here are the specs of my new computer.

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU ------------------AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 Ghz

RAM-------------------Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 16 GB

Motherboard--------MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 TOMAHAWK

Graphics-------------EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SC Gaming, 2GB GDDR5

Storage --------------Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB

P.S. I am working with 1080P files, not 4K.
Are you absolutely sure there are no absolutes?
jungleexplorer

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 TOMAHAWK
processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4Ghz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SC Gaming 2GB GDDR5
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: EVO850 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS VS248H-P 24" Full HD
Corel programs: VS 4.0,7.0, 3X,6X,8X,9X,10X: PSP 8X 9X

Re: Slow performance on new fast computer. Why?

Postby iNate » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:42 pm

1. VideoStudio uses DXVA2 Acceleration, and you probably went form a Platform with Intel QuickSync Video to AMD. That's going to nerf your hardware Acceleration, because the QSV Acceleration is fast and not actually done by the CPU or GPU itself, but a specific SIP on the CPU package. This shocks people who "upgrade their CPU," because they aren't aware that the NLE is actually handing off the Video Decode/Encode to a completely separate component. I do not think VideoStudio uses AMD UVD or VCE, at all. The CUDA support is also kind of broken, and may not be working at all on your machine. It's important to know what you were upgrading FROM as well as what you're upgrading to, because we have to know what hardware configuration you're using as a basis for the performance comparison... Intel still has better Single and Quad Core performance than Ryzen, as well. You don't really start benefitting from Ryzen, a lot, until you get into heavily multi-threaded tasks (since they tend to have more threads that comparable (by price) Intel CPUs). Consumer packages like VideoStudio and Pinnacle aren't really optimized for those scenarios. Professional packages like DaVinci Resolve, however, are heavily optimized for it (but your 2GB GPU is really quite small for Resolve, and will be a bottleneck).

2. Is your RAM Dual Channel? Did you install 1 or 2 Memory Modules in your PC? 1 Module means single channel. You should always install RAM in matching pairs for optimal performance, so that you get maximum memory bandwidth. It's like a highway. Traffic travels more smoothly, and faster, when you have two lanes instead of one. This is why they call it Dual Channel RAM, but you only get Dual Channels with the RAM installed in matching pairs (Intel Platforms can use non-matching capacities, but with AMD I would use same capacity modules). For 16GB RAM, this means two 8GB DIMMs. If you only have one 16GB DIMM, I'd add another 16GB DIMM to increase memory bandwidth and increase performance (or return the 16GB for a 2x8GB package, if possible). I know, RAM is expensive...

3. Get a GTX 1050Ti. The 2GB 1050 is never worth it unless it comes in the box with a budget PC from Best Buy or Wal-Mart. The 1050 Ti has 4GB VRAM, which will be useful for 4K editing (especially when you use Effects/Filters/Plug-Ins) and has higher GPU, VRAM clock speeds on top of higher memory bandwidth. It's also much more usable in higher end editing software, which you may want to graduate to without having to switch components in the future. Honestly, why didn't you just get a good 4GB AMD RX-series card, instead? Those have better OpenCL performance than Nvidia cards (see above note on CUDA). The performance of the 1050Ti is simply better, and it's doesn't cost much more to go up to the Ti variant. Again, AMD RX is a much better budget option, and I'd look into that. I hope you didn't go for the 2GB 1050 because of benchmarks, because those are useless at such a budget there of a the market!

4. Would be interesting to know what type of files you're working with as well... AVI, QuickTime or MP4 wrappers? H.264? H.265/HEVC? Images on the Timeline? RAW, BMP, PSPImage, PNG...? There are a lot of factors that can impact performance. What operating system are you running.

5. Upgrade your VideoStudio. It's dirt cheap, and performance improvements are typically incorporated in the latest versions. There need to be some incentive to upgrade, right? Also, old versions may not be well optimized for the newer/est hardware platforms.
iNate

motherboard: ASUS GL503VD
processor: Intel i7-7700HQ
ram: 32GB
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 10xx
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS 1080p IPS LCD
Corel programs: PSPX9, VSX9 Pro, VS2018 (Refunded)

Postby asik1 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:31 pm

iNate, we have on the forum few AMD users, not many but they are top notch.
relating to your #5... well I will add few :roll: to that notion
asik1

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ENGT430
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Postby TonyP » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:06 pm

System specs to the right under avatar.

No problems editing 4K on the timeline. Certain effects do take some time to render, but otherwise, timeline editing is pretty spot on.
I have no idea as to what is causing your timeline performance issues.

What are you, if anything, doing with the clips on the timeline? Any effects? How many tracks?
TonyP

motherboard: Gigabtye AB350 Gaming 3
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8core 16threads OC 4.0Ghz
ram: 16GB 3200
Video Card: MSI Gaming X RX480 8GB
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 27" IPS 4k, Acer 24" 1920x1080
Corel programs: VS2018, PSP2019, Aftershot 3

Postby tletter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:40 pm

jungleexplorer wrote:So I built me a new computer with some pretty fast upgrades to my old computer. But VS X10 is not working well in edit mode.

Are you using proxy files?

iNate wrote: Upgrade your VideoStudio ... performance improvements are typically incorporated in the latest versions

I've rendered using both VS10 and VS2018 on an i7-8086K system but haven't seen much in the way of performance improvements when rendering. Corel's programming effort seems to be directed towards adding new features and not towards performance improvements.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
tletter

processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018

Return to VideoStudio