NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

VS2018: File deleted right after rendering

VS2018: File deleted right after rendering

Postby cds » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi together,

I just did ma 1st Video project with vs2018 (coming from Premiere).

After I allready got annoyed with VS2018 continuing to crash on random occasions I'm now completely bummed:

I'm trying to render the video to one file, I can see during the process that the corresponding output-files are growing, but right wenn rendering is finished, everything is gone again.
No matter which output-format and which drive. So what now?
Making copies of the output file while it is created and hope to hit a late-enough point is not really the way I like to work with any kind of tool .....

Any hints - or is VS2018 just crap?
cds

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2018 and others

Re: VS2018: File deleted right after rendering

Postby lata » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi cds
And welcome to the forums.

First thing that comes to mind is the eventual size of the rendered file and where you are saving that to.
If you are choosing a Fat 32 drive, probably unusual, that has a 4 Gb limit.
Although you mention using different drives / save locations.
And yes I have known of renders simply terminating when reaching the 4Gb limit, with no files saved.

Can you give more details
Are you using the trial version or a purchased version?
How long is your project?
What are you choosing from Share?

You say the program crashes, any pattern to those crashes.?

Try resetting the program by renaming the 21.0 folder to “21.0_old”
A new folder will be created when starting VS 2018.
A little more info on resetting.
http://lata.me.uk/corel/reset/reset.htm

Otherwise you should try re-installing, use the cleanup tool to remove the program.
This does not remove 21.0 folder, so you may be best deleting that after uninstalling the program.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby cds » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:53 pm

SO,
filesystem is NTFS, so no issue with filesize, but meanwhile I was able to nail it down - which still does not make VS look good:
Ths story is a little longer:

The video source I used was recorded by my Sony A77 in AVCHD format.
To my knowledge the only to import these to VS is to use the single files from the "stream" folder.
So far so good - worked fine beside in one case: The A77 splits the files automatically into 2GB chunks. In most of the cases this was no problem, but in one: I pulled the 2nd file of a recording into the timeline and - the first frame shortly flashed in the preview window, but that was it. Nothing visible in the timeline. 2nd try resulted in the same. No error shown - nothing.
I solved this by manually merging the chunks of this recording into one file (outside of VS) --> Worked find.
But appearently there where some fragments of the before mentioned two tries at the end of the whole project - these made the rendering just silently crash. Unfortunately these bits were only visible in max. magnification of the timeline.

Nevertheless: I expect a tool like VS to flag an error if there is anything wrong, an not just silently quitting the task!
cds

Postby lata » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi
It does appear to be associated with the camera splitting the recordings into 2 Gb lumps

We can import using right click timeline – Insert digital media.
Browse to fine the AVCHD folder – Stream
That should show a panel with your files.
The file names should use a date format, recording date.
The process is similar to :-
http://lata.me.uk/corel/import/import.htm
Does that allow you to render the files?
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby tletter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:03 pm

cds wrote:I'm trying to render the video to one file, I can see during the process that the corresponding output-files are growing, but right wenn rendering is finished, everything is gone again.

In my experience, VS routinely silently crashes during rendering if the VSP has complexity - have a look at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62625

cds wrote:Making copies of the output file while it is created and hope to hit a late-enough point

This is the approach that I sometimes take as unfortunately VS doesn't create a readable log file to consult when the program crashes, so it's difficult to determine what caused the crash, e.g. filter, clip, transition, overlay, audio, etc. Compounding this lack of a log is the fact that VS doesn't offer a precompile option to validate a VSP before attempting to render a VSP. Hence hours are lost rendering when VS silently crashes.

As well, currently when rendering some VSPs it's simply not possible to produce a usable output as VS is using low-res proxy files instead of the hi-res source files - see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64008. For this reason I use VS X8 to render VSPs produced in VS 2018 as VS X8 does not have this obvious problem. Unfortunately Corel doesn't see this bug that they introduced in SP3, as worthy of patching.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
tletter

processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018

Postby cds » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:56 am

@lata: No, same issue. Only after I merged the files using "copy /b" it worked.

But the issues continue. Now after re-arranging some audio-tracks I can't render into an BR TS - that crashes right at the beginning. Other formats work.

To be honest, VS2018 is the worst piece of software I was working with since a long time now.
My Idea to switch from Premiere Essentials to VS to get a better featureset completely failed.
VS simply has to much oddities:
- Random silent crash - without any noticeable correlation to the executed action (just hitting play can be enough)
- Having problems with handling input-files under some conditions just results in silently doing "something" - most likely stupid. I expect that any tool checks and reports issues.
- Strange behaviour - Just doubleclicking one of the sound-level dots sometime causes a complete re-arrangement of the VS2018 windows. Very anoying
- Sub-optimal HMI: Removing a sound-level point by pulling it out of the track is a good idea, but on the lower level pulling it a little below the -32db level allready deletes it - while there is no line which would indicate where this limit graphically is.

And I think I did not get beyond any kind of simple standard functions yet .....
cds

Return to VideoStudio