NEW! PaintShop Pro 2019

VS 2018 SP3 is now available

Re: VS 2018 SP3 is now available

Postby gewb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:50 pm

RickMen wrote:Does sp3 fix the sorting of clips by date and time in the panel?

Sort order of the available types has been fixed to display your preference of ascending or descending order. Custom arrangement of resources in a library does not work (bummer).

To toggle (change) the currently displayed sort order (A to D or D to A):

1. Click the AZ sort button,
2. Scroll down the droplist to the desired sort order type
3. Press and hold the CTRL key on your keyboard,
4. Left-click on the selected type.

The sort order will toggle from the current order.
gewb

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ram: 8GB
Video Card: AMD R9-270
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 24MK430
Corel programs: X7 Pro, X8.5 Ult, X10.5 Ult., 2018 Ult.

Postby lata » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:10 pm

BJC wrote:"" I have just uninstalled the program to do a clean install""

Is that the forum recommendation when installing updates lata - should every one uninstall the program to do a clean install to update

No not really, the service packs should install on the existing program providing that program is functioning ok.

I have been having problems with the program but believe it may be associated with multiple installs whilst beta testing, that is the reason for my choice to uninstall.
In fact I had versions from X5 to present version, older versions generally installed to give help on this forum. All are now uninstalled.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby gewb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:22 pm

gewb wrote:
RickMen wrote:Does sp3 fix the sorting of clips by date and time in the panel?

Sort order of the available types has been fixed to display your preference of ascending or descending order. Custom arrangement of resources in a library does not work (bummer).

To toggle (change) the currently displayed sort order (A to D or D to A):

1. Click the AZ sort button,
2. Scroll down the droplist to the desired sort order type
3. Press and hold the CTRL key on your keyboard,
4. Left-click on the selected type.

The sort order will toggle from the current order.

Or just click the AZ button again (duh, that was too easy but I like to make things difficult).
gewb

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ram: 8GB
Video Card: AMD R9-270
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 24MK430
Corel programs: X7 Pro, X8.5 Ult, X10.5 Ult., 2018 Ult.

Postby wstagner » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Apparently you can only download vs 2018 updates from the program, not from Corel website.
That said, I checked for updates and it apparently downloaded and installed something (no messages saying who or what it was doing).
I noticed outside the program that files were being extracted to somplace, so I ASSUMED something happened.
To install the updates you apparently have to relaunch vs 2018 and it prompts you to install or not the update. But to actually install it, you must exit the program.

This is a convoluted procedure that makes NO SENSE to me. Corel should look at the way other companies handle updates...they might learn something.

After installing the update (patch 141), I was able successfully launch the program, no missing files.
I either got lucky OR nothing nefarious happened because I don't use the default directory (never have for any Corel products). My VS 2018 is in c:\vstudio2018\test84
Last edited by wstagner on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
wstagner

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: Gigabyte Ga-p43-es3g
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 GHz
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ATI Radion HD4300 4500 series
sound_card: ATI High Definition Realtek ALC888 codec
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus VH242H 24" 1920x1024 screen.

Postby pepegota » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:07 am

Amen!!!!
pepegota

motherboard: ASUS Prime H370 - Plus
processor: Intel i7 - 8700
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GT 1030
sound_card: On board sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Ben Q, "21" LCD
Corel programs: VS 2018

Postby Davidk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am

Once again, the user guide relating to update hasn't been 'updated' for years. All it says is update by clicking "Check for Updates". In prior versions it said that, but (mine installed only go back to X8) there's a clear difference to the way update used to work in versions up to and including X10, but with the new UI in 2018 there was clearly some fairly major changes done in the updates area. Not documented.

So, can the admins with a line to development (Ken? you were able to get a list of fixes in sp3 from them) at least get a description of how update in 2018 is supposed to work now? Is it, for example, now a background process that once started runs even when 2018 is used for something else or closed altogether? Some security scanners and backup software work like that.
Davidk

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3.7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Viewsonic Vx1935wm
Corel programs: Video Studio X5,X6,X7,X8,X9,X10,2018

Postby lata » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:09 am

David

I do not think the overall experience in installing service packs has changed, if it has its for the better.
The problem of users being impatient and expecting the program to auto update as soon as the SP is advertised.
If users waited a while till the programs auto update kicked in then updates would install.
Check for updates would speed up the process.
(of course where users have disabled the messages / popups there may be an issue)
But we as beta testers were at an advantage to receive the SP3 before the public. So should we manually install, I waited for the program to do its thing, about 2 days before the thing kicked in.

Having said that I did have an issue installing SP3 where the download terminated after closing VS. But did install ok if I allowed the download to complete before closing VS. That may be my environment
There also seems to be more details / messages regarding installing SP3.

I have to/will retest the above, that means yet another re-install.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby wstagner » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:07 pm

I agree w/David. vs2018 update proc is different enough from prior versions that it should be documented.
APPARENTLY the update will download in the background, no messages disaplayed about this.
Nothing displayed when download complete and nothing displayed about what to do to install it.
wstagner

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: Gigabyte Ga-p43-es3g
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 GHz
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ATI Radion HD4300 4500 series
sound_card: ATI High Definition Realtek ALC888 codec
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus VH242H 24" 1920x1024 screen.

Re: VS 2018 Update / 21.2.0.113

Postby Jan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Nemo wrote:I've recently installed SP3 to my CVS 2018 and shortly after HEVC video extension from the Microsoft Store.

Now whatever i try to encode in any format looks like poorly compressed 640x480 movie upscaled to match higher resolution. I.e. if I encode 2160p in h264 or h265 movie subtitles are sharp and in proper resolution but the movie below looks like PC movie form 90-ties 640x480 with large pixels and strange mosaic dithering. Encoding process is very fast and it looks like source movies goes to encoder in low res, no matter in how good quality was original sources.

I'm not sure what causes this effect - SP3 or installing HEVC video extension from the Microsoft Store. Anyway It was not possible to encode h265 before I install this extension on my hardware (which of course should support it).

Please help!

Please, see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64008 for more details about this issue. Jan.
Jan

motherboard: ASUSTeK MAXIMUS IX HERO
processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.20GHz
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6.5 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung TV 40" 1920 x 1080
Corel programs: Corel VideoStudio 2018 sp3

Postby Davidk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:38 am

I've been puzzling out what's going on with the update 'method' (I'll call it that the avoid confusion with the windows usage of processes) in 2018, and comparing notes with Trevor via PM. So, a summary to date . .
1. the 2018 update method is NOT a process or a service as windows defines them. You won't see any related item in the list of processes or services using task manager or msconfig.

2. BUT the auto updates per the check for updates item in the Help list IS a scheduled task, setup by an entry in the start menu task list. A part screenshot of the one in my task scheduler is attached FYI (the red rectangle around the details), and this is for the auto update daily item (the install default)
VS task scheduler_950.jpg

and you should note the day and time carefully. It doesn't run 'automatically' - eg, when the PC starts or when VS starts - but at a fixed cycle based on the day, day of week, or day of month at a time when VS was installed, or when you last changed the auto update to one of the three options available. Changing the auto update schedule in VS directly changes the task schedule details. So, having the PC on when a scheduled task is triggered is a "hit and miss" thing: if the PC isn't on at the scheduled time, it will get re-scheduled for the next day event at the specified time.

During a re-installation cycle, Trevor was able to observe the auto updater when it ran with an update to process - and there is feedback on the screen when that happens.

3. Which leaves the manual update options in that "check for update" list. This the way I do it, because I never leave my PC turned on, and when it's on I may or may not run VS. Periodically I check the forum and when I see a notice of an update available, I go and get it - manually.

And the response to that manual method is what I've reported on in this thread (for sp3) and the one for sp2. And the evidence thus far suggests that the manual 'method' runs differently in some parts compared to the auto update: when there is an update to get, there is no screen feedback for one. I suspect that the users who have experienced the same thing as I did - click Ok and nothing seems to happen - are doing updates the same way, ie manually.

Still thinking about what to do next but it would be handy to know if my surmise that using a manual update approach gives the reported result is correct. For those who experienced it, please advise.
Davidk

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3.7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Viewsonic Vx1935wm
Corel programs: Video Studio X5,X6,X7,X8,X9,X10,2018

Postby furgle » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Ken,

One of the "fixes" that you mentioned for SP3 was:

"Can't save customized layout"

Are you sure about that?

It's still EXACTLY the same as before. Unbelievable!!!

The problem wasn't that it couldn't save the customized layout. It could!

The problem was that the customised layout wouldn't load on startup if you started in edit mode.

You have to switch to Capture or Share and then back again to get the customised layout to display properly.
furgle

Postby lata » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:30 pm

furgle wrote:Ken,

The problem was that the customised layout wouldn't load on startup if you started in edit mode.

You have to switch to Capture or Share and then back again to get the customised layout to display properly.

That is correct, the program does not seem to refresh to the custom layout till we switch tabs.
You could set Welcome as the start screen, then go to Edit after launching VS.

At least the custom layout does remain in use throughout editing, at one time changing the Options panel view would revert to F7 default layout.
So that has been fixed. just the initial display.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin